Bass Amp...?

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
PunkSteve
Bunkface

Bass Amp...?

Post by PunkSteve »

hey, i was wondering... i think i'm gonna get a bass guitar for my b.day...

but then i see that they do 'bass amps' , so does that mean i'll need to get an amp aswell?

its just , i have a Line 6 Spider iii 30watt guitar amp, and a laney acoustic 60 watt amp, and dont really have the space for more amps! so... do u have to get a bass amp, or will it work with what i have?

Slither
Hooch
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Vocals

Re: Bass Amp...?

Post by Slither »

If you turn the volume down on your bass you can play through the guitar amps. If you go on full volume as well on your bass as on your amp you'll blow the amp up.

You could buy stuff like Line6's Toneport etc. and play it through your computer.
PunkSteve
Bunkface

Post by PunkSteve »

right... so i'll be ok with good quality sound through what i have if its on lower yeah?
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

Where is BassCone when you need her?
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

Slither wrote:If you turn the volume down on your bass you can play through the guitar amps. If you go on full volume as well on your bass as on your amp you'll blow the amp up.

You could buy stuff like Line6's Toneport etc. and play it through your computer.

NO. dont listen to that. even if it is turned down low it will destroy your amp (mostly the speaker) it will tear the speaker cone and guitar amps arent meant for the low frequency of a bass guitar.
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

kevin5064 wrote:
Slither wrote:If you turn the volume down on your bass you can play through the guitar amps. If you go on full volume as well on your bass as on your amp you'll blow the amp up.

NO. dont listen to that. even if it is turned down low it will destroy your amp (mostly the speaker) it will tear the speaker cone and guitar amps arent meant for the low frequency of a bass guitar.
He's right. You should NEVER use a bass with a guitar amp.

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Post by wiggs1441 »

NEVER use a Bass with a Guitar Amp.
tomhoppus is my Master!
NoReason27 is my Grand-master!
BrandonCorey is my N00B!
Sum-42 is my Grand N00B!

Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

what everyone BUT slither said. bad stuff will happen. though i don't like you too much, so you can do that if you want.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Slither
Hooch

Post by Slither »

You don't blow speakers.

An instrument is passive.

You only blow speakers if your preamp's power is bigger then the poweramp, or the speakerbox (think ohm resistance for head/cab matching).

That's why bass amps have generally more watt, so you have more power, and you can get at "band volume" with relatively low power.

Yes there's a chance you will damage ur speaker when at full volume, but then everything is possible, and even a guitar will damage the speakers and amp at full power, ESPECIALLY with overdrive.

Overdrive is basically overloading speakers till they can't handle it anymore (power amp distortion that is).

Subwoofers generate 100 times more bass and they don't break at 4000+ watts, and the speakers are relatively the same.

Besides, EQ pedals also alter bass frequencies, and octave pedals also add bass frequencies, then those should break ur speakers as well.

In fact, EQ pedals and octave pedals, are active, cause they have their own power input, so those are even more likely to break ur amp then a bass.

So, if you play at low volume it's all good. I have done it to find out how it sounds and nothing went wrong with my amps.
PunkSteve
Bunkface

Post by PunkSteve »

ok... a lot of info!

so thanks all guys/girls whatever :) , erm.. so basically, i shouldnt use a bass with gtr amp.. but its ok on low? (p.s. i only ever have my amp with guitar up to 2/10 master volume anyway!, ...3max....)...

p.s. - 2712, why dont u like me! lol :suicide:
Slither
Hooch

Post by Slither »

It should be fine. As I have never had any problems.
PunkSteve
Bunkface

Post by PunkSteve »

oh great, thanks for help! its not that i wouldnt've minded buying a bass amp, its just space i dont have!
thanks again :)
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

PunkSteve wrote:
p.s. - 2712, why dont u like me! lol :suicide:
go nuts.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
turtlehobopirate
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Minna
Instrument 1: Acoustic Guitar

Post by turtlehobopirate »

2712 wrote:though i don't like you too much, so you can do that if you want.
:devious:

Wikipedian Protester

http://xkcd.com/
http://explosm.net/
My masters are Reem and Aaron and they are awesome. My awesome n00b is Gutter Dreams. Don't mess with them.
PunkSteve
Bunkface

Post by PunkSteve »

hah! sure... well... whatever u say... i dont mind u :) (shit now that sounds like im gay...) :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

:glad:
K.
Chuck
n00b: R.
AKA: kanguv41
Instrument 1: bass

Post by K. »

i have been playing for 1.5 years
and i started with 30 watt washburn bad dog amp model:BD30B
im still using that
i say get a bass amp
i don't know much about guitar amps but if u buy a bass amp you can change your general settings easily with ur bass amp,u can change them easily on ur equalizer(but u know them from guitar i guess).also u won't blow it easily.
My advice is if u don't have a place,u can buy a smaller amp like 10 watt,15 watt it won't cost you much and they aren't big.And they will be enough for you if u'll usew it in your house
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

I can't really help you on this part, but all I can say is : don't buy a berhinger amp !!! A friend of mine have had one, and I tried it one day... It sucked, but I mean, really sucked !!!
PunkSteve
Bunkface

Post by PunkSteve »

K. wrote:i have been playing for 1.5 years
im still using that
i say get a bass amp
i don't know much about guitar amps but if u buy a bass amp you can change your general settings easily with ur bass amp,u can change them easily on ur equalizer(but u know them from guitar i guess).also u won't blow it easily.
My advice is if u don't have a place,u can buy a smaller amp like 10 watt,15 watt it won't cost you much and they aren't big.And they will be enough for you if u'll usew it in your house

thanks for the info, i think i'm better off getting a bass amp, proberbly go for a 15watt or something.. thanks :)
K.
Chuck
n00b: R.
AKA: kanguv41
Instrument 1: bass

Post by K. »

PunkSteve wrote:
K. wrote:i have been playing for 1.5 years
im still using that
i say get a bass amp

thanks for the info, i think i'm better off getting a bass amp, proberbly go for a 15watt or something.. thanks :)
no problem :D
PunkSteve
Bunkface

Post by PunkSteve »

:) thanks! also, what basses do u recommend? ive heard Warwick Double buck are good , but i dont knowa bout prices/etc...