My guitar...

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

My guitar...

Post by Dylan »

my guitar strings are virtually always out of tune. i got them in tune, then barely a week and a half later, i noticed the one string was out of tune. i borrowed my friends tuner again, and it turns out all strings were out of tune. the wierd thing was the remaining strings were still in tune with eachother. i'd hold down the 5th fret on the 6th string an it would sound in tune with the 5th string open.

now i borrowed the tuner, put all the strings in tune, and barely 5 days later, i think its out of tune again. is it the strings (they're just cheap strings that came with it, i haven't had time to go out and buy new ones) or are the machine heads screwed?
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Matthewfreire
First name: Matthew
Re: My guitar...

Post by Matthewfreire »

NoReason27 wrote:my guitar strings are virtually always out of tune. i got them in tune, then barely a week and a half later, i noticed the one string was out of tune. i borrowed my friends tuner again, and it turns out all strings were out of tune. the wierd thing was the remaining strings were still in tune with eachother. i'd hold down the 5th fret on the 6th string an it would sound in tune with the 5th string open.

now i borrowed the tuner, put all the strings in tune, and barely 5 days later, i think its out of tune again. is it the strings (they're just cheap strings that came with it, i haven't had time to go out and buy new ones) or are the machine heads screwed?

are you storing your guitar in a bag or have the machine heads against anything?! that could be untuning them.......but you also said that your guitar strings are in tune together, but not in tune with the tuner. well basically if you didn't know......everytime you play your guitar your putting tension on the strings, and tension will cause them to get un-tuned. i tune my guitar almost every time i play (which is basically everyday).....if you leave your guitar for a week, it will lose its tune.

Buy a tuner!! lol

Best of luck with your guitar journey :)
keefer
First name: Keefe

Post by keefer »

It most likely is your strings, they could be stretching from the tension from the bridge of your guitar, get some better (so pretty much anything) strings, whenever I get a new guitar I always change the strings ASAP, how long have you had your guitar for?
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

NoReason27 wrote:my guitar strings are virtually always out of tune. i got them in tune, then barely a week and a half later, i noticed the one string was out of tune. i borrowed my friends tuner again, and it turns out all strings were out of tune. the wierd thing was the remaining strings were still in tune with eachother. i'd hold down the 5th fret on the 6th string an it would sound in tune with the 5th string open.

Usually if your guitar is having trouble staying in tune, it's time for new strings. But if you've been playing a lot, it's normal for you guitar to go out of tune every now and then. As long as a string isn't going down whole steps or something, you should be fine.

Also, when you put new stings on your guitar, you'll need to stretch them out a bit once their on, just so it stays in tune better.
ManOverboard
AKA: Sorrow

Post by ManOverboard »

none of that is wierd at all...if you play your guitar its going to get out of tune. its time to but a tuner
Tyler41
Walking Disaster
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by Tyler41 »

yeah its probably your strings
All that I need is time for me to breathe. Dream little dreams that only I believe. Now that I see beyond the light, I'm gonna be, I'll be alright.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

I tune my guitar everyday before I start playing ;/
Shiv
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Shiv
PSN ID: Communsim

Post by Shiv »

NoReason27 wrote:now i borrowed the tuner, put all the strings in tune, and barely 5 days later, i think its out of tune again. is it the strings (they're just cheap strings that came with it, i haven't had time to go out and buy new ones) or are the machine heads screwed?
ok first of all....

:lol:

that aside, my guitar strings get out of tune every day. get used to tuning them all the time!
if they start to sound real shitty, then you should change them. dont change them just because they get out of tune :winkwink:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff53 ... 1252973533[/imgwidth]

wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Post by wiggs1441 »

Probably just the strings. If you play the guitar alot you should change like once every 2 weeks.
tomhoppus is my Master!
NoReason27 is my Grand-master!
BrandonCorey is my N00B!
Sum-42 is my Grand N00B!

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I remember when I first started playing guitar I didn't know how often I should tune the strings and being a beginner, I'd have periods of times where I wouldn't play for a week or so. I remember learning No Reason via my new Chuck tab book and it didn't sound right at all. I decided to tune it and it just sounded so good, like a breath of fresh air; especially after I learned how to tune down half a step.

Now I usually tune my guitar every time I pick it up.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

either your guitar just sucks at staying in tune(some just do.) or you need new strings. you should have to tune it almost every time you play
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

tuning everyday? that seems like a lot. but ya, im going to get new strings next week, whats a good set of strings that sound good for playing punk-ish songs. (Rise Against, Sum 41 etc.)

Follow me on Twitter!
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Well tuning takes like minute so I don't really care
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip

Post by Hentaiman »

Ernie Ball are really good strings for most kinds of music, although It really doesn't matter. I mean, at least those are good and are at a decent price.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Hentaiman wrote:Ernie Ball are really good strings for most kinds of music, although It really doesn't matter. I mean, at least those are good and are at a decent price.
Yeah, I agree, I don't think brands have a whole lot to do with strings besides durability and stuff like that.

But the different gauges effect the sound of the strings. But all you really need to know is "10's" which is just the regular gauge strings.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

Matthewfreire wrote: are you storing your guitar in a bag or have the machine heads against anything?! that could be untuning them.......but you also said that your guitar strings are in tune together, but not in tune with the tuner. well basically if you didn't know......everytime you play your guitar your putting tension on the strings, and tension will cause them to get un-tuned. i tune my guitar almost every time i play (which is basically everyday).....if you leave your guitar for a week, it will lose its tune.

Buy a tuner!! lol

Best of luck with your guitar journey :)
i do lean it against the wall a bit, i checked it out today and it does seem like that could be doing it. i forgot to metion that my 3rd string is almost always out of tune. it's bent near the bridge anyways so i'll have to change it soon, so i might as well put brand new strings on all of them.

i beleive im going with my friends to a nearby town which has a music store so ill buy some strings, a tuner and a guitar stand, and some new sticks for my rock band set ( they are fucked! :2cool4u: )

Follow me on Twitter!
tudge
First name: t-j

Post by tudge »

You're lucky to have your guitar stay 5 days in tune, idiot.
Shiv
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Shiv
PSN ID: Communsim

Post by Shiv »

tudge wrote:You're lucky to have your guitar stay 5 days in tune, idiot.
its true :shock:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff53 ... 1252973533[/imgwidth]

kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

well i play with Ernie Ball extra slinky's (8 Gauge...yes..8) but if you want thicker but not by much go with Ernie Ball hybrid slinkys (9 gauge)
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip

Post by Hentaiman »

I use 9's.