So Long Goodbye Lyric

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Omega Myre
Bunkface

So Long Goodbye Lyric

Post by Omega Myre »

So, "So Long Goodbye" is supposed to be about Dave leaving right? It's some kind of like, loving goodbye type thing, I'm assuming. What's with the lyric "Matters of heart are hard to address, especially when yours is full of emptiness"?. That seems like...A giant middle finger to Dave to me. Is there some other interpretation?
cool kids
Ma Poubelle

Post by cool kids »

yeah i think it is a diss to dave but it could mean its hard when yours as in deryck's cause maybe he meant his heart. i don't know if that make sense to anyone else but i tried to explain it the best way i could
July 5 2003 Sum 41 show
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

The "you measure no one that I've ever known" is also a diss - saying he doesn't measure up to anyone else Deryck has ever met.

And that bit about "it won't be long before it's overflown"...about Dave's "cup" (sorry, I can't remember the exact lyric there).

It's NOT a nice song.

GutRock Concert Series - The concert series that raises funds and donates 100% of profits to Inflammatory Bowel Disease research.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
Our under construction, soon to be website
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

Asho_DirtyPoo wrote:The "you measure no one that I've ever known" is also a diss - saying he doesn't measure up to anyone else Deryck has ever met.

It's NOT a nice song.
its an amazing song. thats how deryck felt, and he had the rite to.
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

sumfan wrote:
Asho_DirtyPoo wrote:The "you measure no one that I've ever known" is also a diss - saying he doesn't measure up to anyone else Deryck has ever met.

It's NOT a nice song.
I don't give a shit, I'm not saying he had no right to write it.

I'm just saying that it isn't a friendly, loving goodbye that a lot of people think it is.

GutRock Concert Series - The concert series that raises funds and donates 100% of profits to Inflammatory Bowel Disease research.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

Asho_DirtyPoo wrote:
sumfan wrote:

It's NOT a nice song.
I don't give a shit, I'm not saying he had no right to write it.

I'm just saying that it isn't a friendly, loving goodbye that a lot of people think it is.
no i mean he had the rite to feel the way he did. Dave didnt come to his wedding (huge slap in the face) then just ditch's him. in a band they created years earlier.
Bass Cone
Underclass Hero
First name: Brittany
Instrument 1: French Horn
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Bass Cone »

lol yeah I was pretty confused as to whether it was good or bad at first. I figured out it was bad eventually. Now I feel bad for Dave.
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

...and who says Dave was even invited to the wedding?

I'm not going to even discuss this - because it's another "who you believe" situation. And it's ignorant for any of us to think we know all of what happened.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

:lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

just sayin my opinion. if you think that way. then no one can discuss anything unless they were actually at the event thats in queston.
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

The world would be a better place if people didn't form stupid opinions based on second-hand hearsay, dude.

I'm just trying to save the board from more pointless fighting that we already know is just going to go in circles and circles because none of us REALLY know the truth. *shrug* I thought we wanted LESS fighting? Just contributing to the greater good.

*Edit: And that bit about stupid opinions was NOT a dig by any means. I'm talking about EVERYONE. Myself included.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
lizard07

Post by lizard07 »

So, "So Long Goodbye" is supposed to be about Dave leaving right? It's some kind of like, loving goodbye type thing, I'm assuming. What's with the lyric "Matters of heart are hard to address, especially when yours is full of emptiness"?. That seems like...A giant middle finger to Dave to me. Is there some other interpretation?
I took it as Deryck and the others knowing and even Dave himself knowing that he wasn't into being in the band anymore, yet they found it hard to bring up and talk about it, and when Deryck says "...yours is full of emptiness" I believe he is referring to the fact that Dave's passion for being in the band was gone. I don't think he's having a go at Dave. I think it's more of a positive song, saying things change and people move on and thats just the way it goes.
So yeah, I'm not saying other interpretations are wrong, they may be right, but this is just what I took the song to mean.
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

I definitely think that the "you measure no one that I've ever known" wasn't supposed to be mean... it just ended up sounding that way. Happens to Deryck a lot. I think he was trying to say that Dave's above average.

"Before you know it, your cup's overflown..." sounds like it's supposed to mean that "before you know it, everything's piled up and you can't take it anymore". Perhaps referring to Dave's depression?

(About the wedding, apparently Dave said that he was signing something off that day and had to be there for the signing)
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

Phili wrote:I definitely think that the "you measure no one that I've ever known" wasn't supposed to be mean... it just ended up sounding that way. Happens to Deryck a lot. I think he was trying to say that Dave's above average.
Seems odd to me that nobody would catch that and be like "dude - that doesn't mean what you wanted to say"...

Although, there have certainly been other situations in Sum lyrics that no one has caught before *shrug*

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

The "Matters of Heart" definately seemed like a diss to me as well. But I always interpreted, "Yours is full of emptiness" as like "It's hard to be a punk rock band when you want to be in a metal band."
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, i actually agree with what Phili said.
it always looked like a positive song to me, even though some of the lyrics seem like a diss, i'm sure Deryck meant something else, like Phili said that Dave is above average and all, and i'm sure he thinks so, cuz Dave contributed alot to the band, and they were such good friends one, and you cannot ingore what Dave did for the band, so i'm sure Deryck not trying to diss him.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

Gunner wrote:The "Matters of Heart" definately seemed like a diss to me as well. But I always interpreted, "Yours is full of emptiness" as like "It's hard to be a punk rock band when you want to be in a metal band."
:roll:
Petronius

Post by Petronius »

I agree with Phili and Hentaiman ...
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

Hentaiman wrote: cuz Dave contributed alot to the band
I dunno, man...according to Deryck, Dave didn't contribute to the band like, at all.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
punkrockfan182
Bunkface

Post by punkrockfan182 »

i dont get the "before you know it your cups overflown" what does that mean?
Janet
Pedo

Post by Janet »

Asho_DirtyPoo wrote:
Hentaiman wrote: cuz Dave contributed alot to the band
I dunno, man...according to Deryck, Dave didn't contribute to the band like, at all.
he had a good time with them, they were friends, just saying something bad in a song about him doesn't seem right, i think that Deryck wouldn't do such thing, i dunno. I don't think it's a dissing song at all. but who knows?