your opinions on learning guitar?

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

your opinions on learning guitar?

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

8)

anyways yea.

most (actually ALL) when learning guitar want to rip right into it and sound like jimmi paige or their guitar idol. so they get a teacher right off the bat and learn chords and shit. i dont think they should do that. you might adapt the teachers style instead of your own. i think you should fiddle with it yourself for a year or so. get a feel for it, THEN get a teacher to teach you the chords. but first get your own sound. actually not a year, until you feel your ready to take your guitaring to the next step.

:D
kevz2kool
Bunkface
First name: Kevin
AKA: Jack...Jack MOMMA!!!

Post by kevz2kool »

i actually quit lessons, for one, just like you said, i wanted to do what i wanted to do, second, i was sick of him telling me what i was playing was stupid. but now im afraid, since i dont know much teory, i cant get much better... i dunno
The name is Jack...Jack Momma!

please help me 4 ever
kevz2kool
Bunkface

Post by kevz2kool »

i actually quit lessons, for one, just like you said, i wanted to do what i wanted to do, second, i was sick of him telling me what i was playing was stupid. but now im afraid, since i dont know much teory, i cant get much better... i dunno

please help me 4 ever
Mike
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Mike »

does that go the same for drums? cause i think im getting lessons in the winter
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

Mike wrote:does that go the same for drums? cause i think im getting lessons in the winter
I dont know. never played them.
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

never had lessons. never needed them.

ultimate-guitar.com 8)
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

budgie. wrote:never had lessons. never needed them.

ultimate-guitar.com 8)
:lol: same
pearl182

Post by pearl182 »

i been playing for 2 years but got drums too so didnt play guitar much til lately. got an electric last week. i think im decent enough but ive never gotten lessons. i can play some foos solos and GNR and chilis. guns and roses isnt really right but its fun to improvise!lol not the best at it unless its pentatonic. dont ask how i learned these terms
R.
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Ryan

Post by R. »

I've taken guitar for 2 years then gave up, but i hate it when my friend thinks hes better than me at guitar when hes only taken it for about half of a year. He thinks he's awsome at guitar, and hes always like "Look at me I know how to play (whatever song)" then im like ok... so he plays it and it sounds like the guitar is totally out of tune, and nothings right, when the guitar is in tune. Its annoying, I still do play guitar though , just without guiatar lessons.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

i tinkered with guitars for like 2 years, then finnaly got more and more serious. now i practice everyday and I'm learning new songs

I can pretty much play:

Thanks For Nothing
Pieces
The Hell Song
When Your Heart Stops beating

and bits and pieces from alot of other songs.

Oh, i can play most of Pull The Curtain too
but i have a really hard time with solos and fingering on guitar. i'm bettr and powerchords
Rick
Jessica Kill

Post by Rick »

hey man, USE YOUR PINKY!! its the secret to playin solo's and leads and stuff, get the pinky goign!
http://searchwithsum41.prodege.com/?cmd ... &rb=143979
go there and sign up and win cool shit.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

Rick. wrote:hey man, USE YOUR PINKY!! its the secret to playin solo's and leads and stuff, get the pinky goign!
thats the thing i have most trouble with. i cant move my pinky without my ring finger. and i cant really bend and controll my pinky. :o :o :lol:
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

For me, lessons takes the fun out of everything. I took piano lessons and never practiced because piano lessons weren't my choice and it was so boring. That was the main reason I didn't take guitar lessons when I was offered them because I didn't want it to be come boring.

I think the key is... maybe get lessons just to learn the basics, like chords and powerchords. Then just learn a few of your favorite songs and then start coming up with your own.

If you cover too many songs by a certain band or something, you may end up adapting their style and you won't sound original.
Brownmetal
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeffrey

Post by Brownmetal »

sumfan wrote:
Rick. wrote:hey man, USE YOUR PINKY!! its the secret to playin solo's and leads and stuff, get the pinky goign!
thats the thing i have most trouble with. i cant move my pinky without my ring finger. and i cant really bend and controll my pinky. :o :o :lol:
lol, i do this exercise everyday, its like:

-1-4-3-4-----------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
Do that 4 times for every string once everyday, without stopping. That should get your pinky and ring finger more co-ordinated with each other :D

Well....it worked for me...
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

Brownmetal wrote:
sumfan wrote:
lol, i do this exercise everyday, its like:

-1-4-3-4-----------------------------------------------
Do that 4 times for every string once everyday, without stopping. That should get your pinky and ring finger more co-ordinated with each other :D

Well....it worked for me...
thanks! i'll give it a try hope it works. my pinky's really pissin me off :lol: :o
kevz2kool
Bunkface

Post by kevz2kool »

well, for the pinky thing, dave has a warm up where he just puts his pointer and middle finger on the first fret, and his ring and pinky on the second fret, if you need to, you could try moving your pinky to the third fret and back, just until you get the hang of it, but that warm up really gets the blood going in your hand, so do it 1-2 mins. before playing. it really helps.

as for the ultimate guitar thing, i try not to use it anymore, i want to be able to figure some stuff out be ear...any tips?

please help me 4 ever
Brownmetal
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeffrey

Post by Brownmetal »

kevz2kool wrote:well, for the pinky thing, dave has a warm up where he just puts his pointer and middle finger on the first fret, and his ring and pinky on the second fret, if you need to, you could try moving your pinky to the third fret and back, just until you get the hang of it, but that warm up really gets the blood going in your hand, so do it 1-2 mins. before playing. it really helps.

as for the ultimate guitar thing, i try not to use it anymore, i want to be able to figure some stuff out be ear...any tips?
I get my ipod and listen to the song a few times to get a feel of it, and then, since i know how each note sounds...well almost, i just try to play the song slowly, and make changes to the notes to make it sound better....yeah.....it works better than tabs for me. :D
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, I've figured out a lot of Underclass Hero songs mainly by listening to them. They're pretty easy to figure out when you have a jist of how the song goes and you can tweak parts that sound off.

I have trouble with my pinky too. As well as picking because I downstroke a lot with single notes. But I haven't really been practicing soloing much.
Byzzy

Post by Byzzy »

^^ i tabbed the jester and confussion and frustration on my own lol
tanguyen

Post by tanguyen »

Lessons are good because the tutors teach you the correct technique. You'd be surprised to see how many kids out there who just go and learn solos, and when you tell em to play chords, they play as if they have no elbow, or wouldn't even know how to strum the chord at all. Its true that you should find your own unique style but I guess its with everything in life, sometimes you need a nudge in the correct direction before you go all "independent" and do things all by yourself.