Deryck Whibley Replica Guitar

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
Jeremy Kill
Deryck Whibley Replica Guitar

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Deryck's Guitar:

My Guitar:

Video of my guitar:
Original Post:
Basically I want to create my own authentic Deryck Whibley Signature Telecaster (aka the Telecaster he plays live... the deluxe). But I need to figure some things out first. Here are my questions:

1) What is the neck pickup? What is the bridge pickup?
2) The single knob he has on his guitar... is that just the volume knob?

I'm planning to get the '72 Fender Telecaster Deluxe and build with that. Questions concerning this are:

3) With the '72 Deluxe, can I just take out the pickup switch if I don't want it?
4) Can I take out the other 3 knobs if I don't want them as well?
5) How to I install an input/output jack on the pickguard like Deryck's?

If any questions were to be answered, the first and third would be high priority. Thanks in advance. I know this'll probably cost me a helluva lot of money, but I'm saving up!
For anyone else who wants to make this replica, these are the things you will need:

- Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe; Black
- Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Humbucker Pickup (Plated or non-plated)
- Input Jack
- Custom Pickguard from Warmoth or Terrapin
- Schaller Strap Locks; Chrome Color (Optional)
- Get'm Get'm Sergeant Guitar Strap; White (Optional)
Last edited by Jeremy Kill on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:57 am, edited 9 times in total.
budgie
Underclass Hero
Re: Deryck Guitar Specs

Post by budgie »

Gunner wrote: 2) The single knob he has on his guitar... is that just a volume knob?.....
i never noticed that he only had one knob. i thought it had four like that one on the fender site... :?
but, yeah, its most likely volume
The Forgotten Son
Hooch

Post by The Forgotten Son »

Cool. But I think the other telecaster is cooler. The gray one with black pickguard
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

the thing you gotta know about black guitars... they gather a shitload of dust, even over night.
well, i think all colours of guitar gather dust, but its really noticeable on black ones...

but... thats what polish is for...

just thought you might like to know...
Rick
Jessica Kill

Post by Rick »

yeah that single knob is volume because when he doesn't play he always just moves his hand over and turns the volume way down. but yes, you can take all that stuff out...you'll just have holes there...which might be awkward.
http://searchwithsum41.prodege.com/?cmd ... &rb=143979
go there and sign up and win cool shit.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Thanks for the help everyone!

Concerning the pickups I'm assuming the rhythm pickup is just the one that came with the guitar and the bridge is the SH-4 if I remember correctly, right?

As for the pickguard, I found a site where you can order custom pickguards, so I won't have to worry about holes.
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

dm_rick wrote:yeah that single knob is volume because when he doesn't play he always just moves his hand over and turns the volume way down. but yes, you can take all that stuff out...you'll just have holes there...which might be awkward.
i hate when that happens.
thats why i dont play my friends strat that much anymore
goonday41

Post by goonday41 »

the bridge pickup is a seymour duncan sh-4 and the neck pickup is the stock fender one, but it is unwired. so basically decoration. which website are you getting the pickguard from, warmoth.com?
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

goonday41 wrote:the bridge pickup is a seymour duncan sh-4 and the neck pickup is the stock fender one, but it is unwired. so basically decoration. which website are you getting the pickguard from, warmoth.com?
Ah okay, thanks. Yeah, I think I'm getting it from warmoth. Is that a good side to buy from?
mattyw_rules
Billy Spleen

Post by mattyw_rules »

good luck on making it, post pics when youre done
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, good luck, dude :D
post some pics when you're done.
If it'll go good, i might try to do it myself as well, only i don't have money right now :(
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, I'll post pics for sure. I hope you guys are patient though, because I have to pay for school first before I can buy everything. I can't wait to get this thing started!
Byzzy

Post by Byzzy »

Gunner wrote:Yeah, I'll post pics for sure. I hope you guys are patient though, because I have to pay for school first before I can buy everything. I can't wait to get this thing started!
you're way wrong about this cuz the guitar pic u showed is not deryck's
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Byzzy wrote:
Gunner wrote:Yeah, I'll post pics for sure. I hope you guys are patient though, because I have to pay for school first before I can buy everything. I can't wait to get this thing started!
you're way wrong about this cuz the guitar pic u showed is not deryck's
What do you mean? I know it isn't Deryck's, but it's the closest looking thing to it. All you have to do is change the pickups, pickguard and take off the knobs and pickup selector switch.
Byzzy

Post by Byzzy »

yeah, but it'd look ugly
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Byzzy wrote:yeah, but it'd look ugly
I already mentioned the thing about custom pickguards so you won't have holes and missing spaces where the other knobs and pickup switch are supposed to be.

I'm assuming that's what you meant by the ugly part?
goonday41

Post by goonday41 »

yeah warmoth is probably the best way to go. you should actually get your whole pickguard assembly there. the pickup and the wolume knob all good to go. oh, and is byzzy retarded?
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Deryck says he plays a '52 Telecaster live. So what I'm wondering is... which part of his Telecaster is the "'52" part?
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Okay, well... I got the guitar, the only problem is that it isn't black. It's walnut stain. It still looks awesome though and was a big splurge for me. Almost a thousand bucks. I'll post pics soon.

And I'll probably end up putting different X's on it instead just red. For example, a black X at the bridge area, and a red X at the pickup switch area (once I get it taken out of course). Or maybe a white X instead of red.

It'll pretty much have the same specs except that it isn't a 52 Telecaster. It's a '72 Deluxe Reissue. In addition to different colors. But that's okay, because then it's a custom to call my own (sort of). :)
goonday41

Post by goonday41 »

about the '52 thing. i think that was a typo. because his black one is definately a 72 reissue, and there is no "'52 part." if the '52 is not a typo, he must be talking about the cream tele that he plays live, but only for pieces.(he just started using this guitar live). and you wouldnt wanna make a '52 look alike because it has a single coil pickup and wont have the tone your looking for.