Message from Deryck Whibley (May 16, 2014)

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
dirk
Bunkface
First name: dirk

Post by dirk »

Deryck is my hero, he is funny and he kicksass everyone!

But his forehand, is it not crystal meth? that kind of drug is really famous in america and maybe it is a possibility? I hope its not
carr

Re: Message from Deryck Whibley (May 16, 2014)

Post by carr »

Last edited by carr on Sun May 18, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Regardless of whether or not people here encouraged or disapproved of his drinking, it has no fucking effect on him. Why? Cause he's a grown ass man and makes his own choices. Stop acting like you're better than everyone cause you disapprove of him drinking. He's a total fucking stranger to you, and what you or I think of him has no effect on his life. Damn.

That being said, it's awful that he's in the hospital and I hope he recovers quickly. it's really tragic to see someone like that.
carr

Post by carr »

Gregorovich wrote:
carr wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
carr wrote:
ChrisC1997 wrote:Carr, ease up dude.

XXX
TXXX
I asked for specifics and you just generalised even more. Link me to these posts you're constantly referring to, where everybody on this forum is continually shutting you down for exposing the 'truth' about Deryck. I think I speak for the majority of the forum when I say that I knew Deryck was leading an incredibly unhealthy lifestyle, but severe liver and kidney damage is a complete surprise when nobody knew about his drinking at home. Getting fucked on tour wasn't what did this to him, it was consistency in his habits when out of the spotlight. The only thing we had to go on was that one radio interview where he was drunk, from which alone it would be pretty preposterous to deduce that it was literally a daily occurrence.
Oh come on. Now you are just being ridiculous on purpose. I mentioned several conversations in the past few months where both of this happened

a) several situations where I and a few others raised concern about his situation only to be shut down, usually by Nic who would sweep in with a 'I just called Deryck and he is doing great!' or expressing disappointment about him playing up that image being met with reactions of people who just didn't get the problem. The entire thread about Stevo leaving the band became about how people on here were just supposed to forget it had never anything to do with Deryck's problems and believe it had everything to do with Stevo being a 'family man.'

b) as well as the general atmosphere here of people buying into this image just as the very profile picture of a member consisting of Deryck drinking and the other signature of a member of his Jack Daniels bottles. I'm sure these were used out of pure concern and not because those people thought that was the shit. Let's ask Gutter Dream what exactly caused them to choose that picture! Do you really expect me to go through countless of threads to find that thread of people complaining how their jobs as teachers are so boring and Deryck is doing the right thing.

Deryck was a not-so-functioning alcoholic and everybody with eyes and a few brain cells knew about that.

So we're really supposed to believe that while people who were not invested in the band could see this crystal clear, the people on his fan site are standing there, mough agape, having the surprise of their life because they just didn't see that coming?

Check any of the last youtube videos and they are full of comments about how he is drunk/on drugs. Such as this. Another interview during which he was drunk/possibly on drugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCFz0vYZ36Q

As point of reference, let's look at these threads about Deryck of non-fans over the past few months. They all mention how Deryck has been on a definite downward spiral into alcoholism and drugs, how he has lost it etc. So all these people were able to draw conclusions from being exposed to Deryck's behavior in the past few years relatively little and the people on here had absolutely nothing to go on except one interview?

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3089811

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3114901

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3129101

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3657191

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3695392

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3699750

Check any of the recent threads about those pictures about Deryck and they are all saying the same thing. There were dozens of threads about that, from reddit over buzzfeed to gossip sites.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

This stops now!
[donate][/donate]
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

He just needs to gain some weight and become stronger, then he can continue drinking like a fucking man. My father's been an alcoholic for his entire life and that motherfucker is immortal, untouchable and invincible.

Srsly now, I find it hard to believe that alcoholism would catch up to him so soon, there's millions of people that I know personally who have drank far more than Deryck for much longer and they're quite fine physically, if not mentally.

There are only two possible explanations: 1. Deryck's organism is not exactly the one you would wish to have in order to embark on a journey of alcoholism.
2. Jack Daniels is some nasty shit to drink.
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:This stops now!
Seriously. You sound like an idiot carr
carr

Re: Re:

Post by carr »

sprinks41 wrote:
And the post above me is exactly what I'm talking about but that is perfectly fine, right. Has nothing to do with a bunch of 16-24 year old guys talking shit. But I'm the idiot, yeah right. Well, Deryck has the fans that he deserves.

You are standing there grinning next to a severely ill man looking like hell, telling everybody how fabulous your friend was doing.
carr

Post by carr »

FuckT41182 wrote:He just needs to gain some weight and become stronger, then he can continue drinking like a fucking man. My father's been an alcoholic for his entire life and that motherfucker is immortal, untouchable and invincible.

Srsly now, I find it hard to believe that alcoholism would catch up to him so soon, there's millions of people that I know personally who have drank far more than Deryck for much longer and they're quite fine physically, if not mentally.

There are only two possible explanations: 1. Deryck's organism is not exactly the one you would wish to have in order to embark on a journey of alcoholism.
2. Jack Daniels is some nasty shit to drink.

I don't think that is a good usage of a sample population to base a comparison on.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140517/F ... -the-world

[...]

In some countries, consumption, and the resultant health problems attached to drinking, were worse. In 10 countries residents consumed more than 13 or more liters per person as of 2010 [...}

These are the heaviest drinking countries in the world.

10. Slovakia

> Alcohol per capita (APC) consumption: 13.0 liters (tied, 9th highest)

> Pct. binge drinking:
26.2% (16th highest)

> Pct. of deaths, alcohol-related: 7.7% (14th highest)

> Life expectancy at birth: 76.1 years

Nearly 8% of deaths in Slovakia were alcohol related in 2012, one of the highest proportions among countries reviewed. By contrast, just 3.2% of deaths in the U.S. were alcohol related. In general, residents had bad drinking habits. More than 10% of people 15 years and older in the country had alcohol use disorders, including alcohol dependency. The rate for men was considerably higher, at 19.1%. Residents prefer spirits — which include distilled beverages such as vodka — considerably more than other forms of alcohol such as beer or wine. According to the WHO, Slovakia has also had issues with the use of alcohol not intended for human consumption, such as alcohol that is used for industrial purposes.

[...]
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Dude calm the fuck down...
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

carr wrote:
sprinks41 wrote:
And the post above me is exactly what I'm talking about but that is perfectly fine, right. Has nothing to do with a bunch of 16-24 year old guys talking shit. But I'm the idiot, yeah right. Well, Deryck has the fans that he deserves.

You are standing there grinning next to a severely ill man looking like hell, telling everybody how fabulous your friend was doing.
I've never said how Deryck was doing. Not once. The fact that I'm standing next to him in my avatar only means that I was fortunate enough to meet him after a show. I approached him, said "You are the reason I play guitar," he smiled and said "Thank you," and my brother took the picture for me.

And where do you get off generalizing me as a 16-24 year old talking shit? You don't even know me. I feel sorry for Deryck, it sucks seeing someone you look up to going through a situation such as his. On the other hand, it also makes me admire him even more because he clearly is mature and strong enough to open up about his problem and discuss it out in the open. Not many people have the strength or courage to do that.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Sad news but let's hope for a quick recovery. Human body, as frail as it is, can still recover from a LOT and it never ceases to amaze me.

And to carr, we all get it by this point that you're some kind of an clairvoyant or someone who had knowledge of Derycks personal life. Most people on this forum though had no clue of what was going behind the public image. Have you ever thought of the possibility that persons of fame would display a different image to the public than what they are in private?
Your preachiness is also getting annoying even to someone like me who only occasionally posts on these forums - you sound like an advocate for alcohol-abolitionist movement or something..
carr

Post by carr »

sprinks41 wrote:
carr wrote:
sprinks41 wrote:

I've never said how Deryck was doing. Not once. The fact that I'm standing next to him in my avatar only means that I was fortunate enough to meet him after a show. I approached him, said "You are the reason I play guitar," he smiled and said "Thank you," and my brother took the picture for me.

And where do you get off generalizing me as a 16-24 year old talking shit? You don't even know me. I feel sorry for Deryck, it sucks seeing someone you look up to going through a situation such as his. On the other hand, it also makes me admire him even more because he clearly is mature and strong enough to open up about his problem and discuss it out in the open. Not many people have the strength or courage to do that.
You weren't part of that conversation but "you sound like an idiot" certaintly doesn't sound very mature and constructive and sounds every bit like the group of people I described who don't react very well to someone reflecting their general behavior back to them.

That's a very nice and sensible thing to say. I remember your post, but it's part of what I described. I felt that there was a definite pressure to pretend he was ok on here. You were one of the few people to get a picture with him where he wasn't trying to hide his face. That behavior of him was a red flag all along.

I'm reading a thread on the same topic on another forum and it actually is a very thoughtful conversation on the effects of alcohol (positive vs negative) and what constitutes alcoholism. This thread full of wondering about the consequences of alcoholism looks really stupid in comparison.

I disagree. I have no respect for Deryck in this issue. Yes, I applaud him for going public and serving as a walking PSA but he was the one who also constructed this image for years for an impressionable young fan base to be influenced by. That is precisely what I was criticizing. Many enjoyed the show he was giving, the cool dude with the Jack Daniels bottles without being aware of reality.

I have a lot of sympathy for what Deryck is going through as a human being and I wish him all the best. However, I can't do anymore than that. I know people who, without any wrongdoing of their own, experienced kidney failure, years of dialysis, organ transplants and constant near death situations. Deryck is an adult man who brought this upon himself out of his own selfishness and lack of responsibility. If he needed an organ transplant he wouldn't be eligible because his situation was self-inflicted.

I've seen alcoholism up close and seen people succumb to it in the most horrible ways and I have all the sympathy in the world for them but not Deryck. People usually escape into alcoholism to deal with a reality they can't and shouldn't cope with. It's a classic reaction to poverty. My heart breaks for the homeless person turning to alcohol to deal with hunger, cold and emotional anguish.

There are entire underprivileged communities who are plagued by alcoholism, not to mention all the people in the world who can't even escape to alcohol.

Deryck knew what he was doing, he knew what it would lead to and he did it anyway because he enjoyed it and that was all it was. Most of his fans were along for the ride. He is a millionaire with no financial worries, a life in luxury, a healthy family that loves him, millions of fans who appreciate him, he was able to live a fulfilled life becoming rich and famous by doing what he loved. He acted like a spoiled child because he could, because he knew he would never lose his job or become homeless as a result and get the best medical care.

His alcoholism was nothing but selfishness and only the most tragically stupid would not be able to see the consequences of their behavior.

Good on him for finally trying to get some sense to his young fans after years of doing the opposite but I can't praise him for that. He wanted to be Keith Richards. There is nothing commendable about that.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Wow this got interesting. Meow!
carr

Re:

Post by carr »

X^2 wrote:Sad news but let's hope for a quick recovery. Human body, as frail as it is, can still recover from a LOT and it never ceases to amaze me.

And to carr, we all get it by this point that you're some kind of an clairvoyant or someone who had knowledge of Derycks personal life. Most people on this forum though had no clue of what was going behind the public image. Have you ever thought of the possibility that persons of fame would display a different image to the public than what they are in private?
Your preachiness is also getting annoying even to someone like me who only occasionally posts on these forums - you sound like an advocate for alcohol-abolitionist movement or something..
No, that is looking at Ozzy Osbourne and wondering where the shaking and slurred speech is from.
carr

Post by carr »

carr wrote:
X^2 wrote:Sad news but let's hope for a quick recovery. Human body, as frail as it is, can still recover from a LOT and it never ceases to amaze me.

No, that is looking at Ozzy Osbourne and wondering where the shaking and slurred speech is from.

You're mixing up your movements.
ChrisC1997
First name: Chris
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by ChrisC1997 »

carr wrote:I'm really calm
Lol, probably not.

I think it's pointless to justify reasons why I wasn't aware Deryck drank excessively in his personal life, besides the fact I live on the other side of the planet. No one is denying that Deryck likes his booze, but you still don't exactly expect someone to one day say 'Hey, I nearly died a month ago'. If you read people's posts, they more express concern that a person who has influenced them and maybe saved their life nearly fucking died, not 'What? He drinks alcohol? I had no idea'.

With the Petty concert, I thought it was confirmed those images were photo shopped to look worse than what was reality, because the gig Deryck played a few weeks after, those pictures have he looking the way he did at Soundwave 2013.

Moral point being, Deryck made his own decision to drink himself to this bad state his in now, and where we've seen him drinking, it's as Jeremy said, they're are places most artists drink (On tour, recording, interviews), others do it too, not just Deryck.

You gotta relax dude.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

carr:
I think the thing is that people on this forum are too old to care about anyone's personal life. We dig Sum 41's music and that's about it, we don't really dig into their personal lives. You have some good points but also some bullshit. It's been common topic since 2011 here that he seems to drink a lot when it comes to touring and recording. It's been like that since they started out. I'd say 90% of people here are too old to think drinking is somehow cool. It's drinking and that's that. In most cases there hasn't been idolizing, it's been most of criticizing and people saying based on what we see as fans that he seems to drink too much. I don't know why you use some individual posts as your proof when the bigger picture is completely another thing.

We don't really know Deryck personally and we haven't been sitting there at his home with him drinking, so we don't know what goes behind those doors. I though the probably has some parties and drinks then, no idea that it was daily thing. And to be honest it's not really even my business what he does, I'm interested in his job mostly, he can have his personal life for himself and closed ones.

Steve leaving makes a lot of sense family wise. Having young kid and touring for months? Don't you think that makes sense? Of course now we can speculate that might have something to do with Deryck. Also the fact that other band members been together during break and have pics in twitter but Deryck isn't appearing obviously says that there's some kind of problem between them and it might have been the drinking indeed.

I wish Deryck the best. Don't take that one drink. Drink vitamin water and mountain dew instead! It must be hard not to drink after spending the last 15 years touring and drunk but there's good motivation to do that.
carr

Post by carr »

ChrisC1997 wrote:
carr wrote:I'm really calm

With the Petty concert, I thought it was confirmed those images were photo shopped to look worse than what was reality, because the gig Deryck played a few weeks after, those pictures have he looking the way he did at Soundwave 2013.

That is exactly the kind of denial I was talking about. Where in the world did you hear that? Why would a paparazzi photoshop a photo of Deryck Whibley, known as "Avril Lavignes ex, washed up rock star from a pop punk band of the 2000s"? The picture got blown up by the internet, I doubt they got paid much for it.

Not to mention, I thought he looked way worse at Soundwave.

Well, yeah, it's been obvious where he was going and it's annoying when people try to play it down. He wasn't having a couple of beer too many. D was drinking large amounts of hard liquor on a daily basis.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Thought this might be interesting for some people on here, someone was talking shit on dave's wall and he reacted accordingly. Don't know what he said though cause he deleted his comment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.