Message from Deryck Whibley (May 16, 2014)

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
carr

Re: Message from Deryck Whibley (May 16, 2014)

Post by carr »

Jeremy Kill wrote:For me it was hard to gauge the extent of his drinking. Every time I saw Deryck with a drink in his hand it was always on an occasion where it was believable someone would be drinking (i.e. touring, recording an album with friends around, party settings... etc.) I didn't know he would drink heavily at home as well mostly because I don't know his personal life and I figured he wouldn't drink as much with his fiancé around. Not to mention that when they took a break from touring it was usually to "rest" and in my mind it meant no drinking as well. It was an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of thing.
This is just weird. You have been a dedicated member here since 2007 and you are very invested in the band and you're the one person who didn't see this? I just saw a tweet that went "In the least surprising news ever..". Come on, this was an open secret and has been discussed on here as well, but it was always shut down by people being in denial about his condition.

During that radio interview he gave he was obviously drunk. The radio host talked about how Deryck was drinking heavily every time he visited him in L.A. The interview was posted on a music website and the comment that stuck most with me was "Hilarious. The dude is so GONE." But talking about it was shut down yet again here.

I'm just honestly confused that somebody that is so invested in the band like you managed to overlook something this blatantly obvious.
OwenGriffith
First name: Owen
Post by OwenGriffith »

I find it sad that it almost seemed as if everyone was supporting his drinking. It's obvious we knew he was an alcoholic even when I heard him say it first person at one of his shows. I think the doctor meant if he drinks another drink, then he's going to end up in the same situation (or even dead). It's to my greatest concern that Deryck figures out his life, and stays away from alcohol for a long time. Deryck will look and feel much better in time. I'm glad he experienced this and I hope he learns from it.
carr

Re:

Post by carr »

OwenGriffith wrote:I find it sad that it almost seemed as if everyone was supporting his drinking. It's obvious we knew he was an alcoholic even when I heard him say it first person at one of his shows. I think the doctor meant if he drinks another drink, then he's going to end up in the same situation (or even dead). It's to my greatest concern that Deryck figures out his life, and stays away from alcohol for a long time. Deryck will look and feel much better in time. I'm glad he experienced this and I hope he learns from it.
He was surrounded by enablers. His parents were enablers (remember that picture of his stepfather and the JD bottles?), his friends were enablers and unfortunately many of his fans who found his constant drinking/partying rock star image 'cool' were also enablers.

If there is anyone here who has some medical expertise I liked to know more. If he had actual liver and kidney failure he wouldn't be alive, I believe? So what most likely happened?
The Jester
First name: Rick
Re: Re:

Post by The Jester »

carr wrote:
OwenGriffith wrote:I find it sad that it almost seemed as if everyone was supporting his drinking. It's obvious we knew he was an alcoholic even when I heard him say it first person at one of his shows. I think the doctor meant if he drinks another drink, then he's going to end up in the same situation (or even dead). It's to my greatest concern that Deryck figures out his life, and stays away from alcohol for a long time. Deryck will look and feel much better in time. I'm glad he experienced this and I hope he learns from it.
He was surrounded by enablers. His parents were enablers (remember that picture of his stepfather and the JD bottles?), his friends were enablers and unfortunately many of his fans who found his constant drinking/partying rock star image 'cool' were also enablers.

If there is anyone here who has some medical expertise I liked to know more. If he had actual liver and kidney failure he wouldn't be alive, I believe? So what most likely happened?
Liver function declines over time due to excessive drinking, this is chronic damage. I think the acute damage can be reversable however. The kidney failure was probably reversable too and they may have had him on dialysis to clean his blood for the time being. If the damage had been irreversible, he would have needed tranplants and due to his excessive drinking, i don't think he'd be a viable candidate

Don't look in to this too much btw, i'm just a 2nd year biomedical student
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

carr wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:For me it was hard to gauge the extent of his drinking. Every time I saw Deryck with a drink in his hand it was always on an occasion where it was believable someone would be drinking (i.e. touring, recording an album with friends around, party settings... etc.) I didn't know he would drink heavily at home as well mostly because I don't know his personal life and I figured he wouldn't drink as much with his fiancé around. Not to mention that when they took a break from touring it was usually to "rest" and in my mind it meant no drinking as well. It was an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of thing.
This is just weird. You have been a dedicated member here since 2007 and you are very invested in the band and you're the one person who didn't see this? I just saw a tweet that went "In the least surprising news ever..". Come on, this was an open secret and has been discussed on here as well, but it was always shut down by people being in denial about his condition.

During that radio interview he gave he was obviously drunk. The radio host talked about how Deryck was drinking heavily every time he visited him in L.A. The interview was posted on a music website and the comment that stuck most with me was "Hilarious. The dude is so GONE." But talking about it was shut down yet again here.

I'm just honestly confused that somebody that is so invested in the band like you managed to overlook something this blatantly obvious.
Being a fan still doesn't make me aware of Deryck's at-home drinking regimen. I knew that he drank on tour (album recording, etc) and that it would affect him later in life, but I didn't think it would happen so soon. I was thinking his drinking would lead him into a stint in rehab. I didn't expect him to one day, out of the blue, almost die.

I didn't see Deryck's alcoholism as being "blatantly obvious" because I have no personal affiliation with him to know what he's been up to in the past year or two. There's been literally no news except for this and I'm supposed to be expecting it? It can't be obvious to me unless I'm actually witnessing it happening. You can't expect me to assume what is going on in Deryck's own home.
carr

Re: Re:

Post by carr »

The Jester wrote:
carr wrote:
OwenGriffith wrote:I find it sad that it almost seemed as if everyone was supporting his drinking.

Liver function declines over time due to excessive drinking, this is chronic damage. I think the acute damage can be reversable however. The kidney failure was probably reversable too and they may have had him on dialysis to clean his blood for the time being. If the damage had been irreversible, he would have needed tranplants and due to his excessive drinking, i don't think he'd be a viable candidate

Don't look in to this too much btw, i'm just a 2nd year biomedical student
Thanks. I assume he has cirrhosis? Yes, he wouldn't talk of touring if he actually needed a transplant. I assume that is why he was in the hospital for so long, because he went through several dyalisis treatments but as far as I know actual organ failure means you are dead.
carr

Post by carr »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
carr wrote:

Being a fan still doesn't make me aware of Deryck's at-home drinking regimen. I knew that he drank on tour (album recording, etc) and that it would affect him later in life, but I didn't think it would happen so soon. I was thinking his drinking would lead him into a stint in rehab. I didn't expect him to one day, out of the blue, almost die.

I didn't see Deryck's alcoholism as being "blatantly obvious" because I have no personal affiliation with him to know what he's been up to in the past year or two. There's been literally no news except for this and I'm supposed to be expecting it? It can't be obvious to me unless I'm actually witnessing it happening. You can't expect me to assume what is going on in Deryck's own home.
It's just the textbook case of Deryck's fans being in denial and pulling every excuse to not see the situation for what it was. I specifically remember a reply on here by someone who reacted to yet another Deryck drunk out of his mind situation with talking about how 'cool' Deryck's 'rock star life' was. There is not a single radio or tv interview in the last couple of years where Deryck wasn't drunk. He was always notorious for drinking and doing drugs but from 2009 onwards the path he was on was very clear. But a lot of the people here romanticized his alcoholism.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

I wish Deryck a very quick recovery and think it's great that he is comfortable enough to talk about this openly.

Also, in the one picture I believe he has "Michelle" tattooed on his chest. If it is, that's pretty cool that he got that for his mom.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Um, why has this thread turned into "I told you so / I knew it / I was right" thread? I'm with Jeremy on this one. Unless you know Deryck personally, you can only assume what's going on in his life off tour. The fact that he drank on tour and during recordings over a year ago doesn't make it obvious that he would continue to do the same at home.

Not to offend you carr, but I find it odd that you haven't really posted here much before, but now you claim to know better than everyone here and blame them for not seeing the "obvious"? Why? What's your goal?

Terrible news, hope he gets well soon (not Sum 41 "soon")!
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

I believe it's rather odd though that he was supporting this http://soberisexy.com/ website and their clothing being an alcoholic.

also I've seen some articles about deryck's situation on different music magazine sites and the comments are mostly mean spirited wich is pretty sad. people have no respect nowadays.
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

I freaked out when I read it on first glance. A lot of us knew that he was drinking heavily again, but I know that I didn't see him doing it at home, yes on tour and during shows but shit. I'm glad he's going to be okay, it's sad that it took him nearly dying to realize the extent of the problem.
carr

Re:

Post by carr »

TomiT14 wrote:Um, why has this thread turned into "I told you so / I knew it / I was right" thread? I'm with Jeremy on this one. Unless you know Deryck personally, you can only assume what's going on in his life off tour. The fact that he drank on tour and during recordings over a year ago doesn't make it obvious that he would continue to do the same at home.

Not to offend you carr, but I find it odd that you haven't really posted here much before, but now you claim to know better than everyone here and blame them for not seeing the "obvious"? Why? What's your goal?

Terrible news, hope he gets well soon (not Sum 41 "soon")!
Because I was so fed up with all the denial and romanticizing of a cliched rock'n'roll lifestyle that has been going on here for years and people had to see him like this to realize that none of this was ever 'cool.' His fans have been enablers just as much as everyone around him. So maybe now they can stop with the Jack Daniels obsession. It was all there in the open for years and people encouraged it.

All the comments here about how they never imagined him to keep drinking heavily when the camera wasn't rolling. That's expecting someone to live up to a tired old cliche of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll and then be surprised if they actually do. Deryck did, he always wanted to be a rock star and especially in the in last few years he carefully constructed his public image to match. There isn't a picture of him that doesn't play up the Jack Daniels but it was never cool. It was always pathetic.

Just look at Gutter Dream's post above me. What is their profile picture? A picture of Deryck drinking. Because it's cool, right? And who could have ever thought it wasn't only for show. A show you wanted.

You are into a certain image and then you have the gall to lament you thought it was only for show when you see the results? Don't you see the irony in that?

What did you think? That he spit it out when the camera was turned away? Alcoholism isn't funny. Why is that even different from "doing it at home." Because you thought it made him cool and wild. Those comments show an incredible naivite.

If he really had liver and kidney failure, I'm not sure how he ever expects to tour again. He will probably be a dialysis patient. He is 33 years old and drank himself to death. He isn't one drink away from death, he is already slowly dying and he brought it upon himself. I've known lifelong alcoholics who were institutionalized and they made it into their 50s. I also know people who needed kidney transplants because they were severely ill without ever drinking. This isn't funny, this is a serious medical issue that will stay with Deryck for the rest of his life. If he will live much longer that is.

I'm glad he went the public route he did because the majority of his fans here seem to be in a 16-25 age range and I think that is reflected in the reactions.
The Jester
First name: Rick
Re:

Post by The Jester »

Ardi41 wrote:
also I've seen some articles about deryck's situation on different music magazine sites and the comments are mostly mean spirited wich is pretty sad. people have no respect nowadays.
The most i've seen aren't mean spirited, but I really hate those people coming up with 'in too deep' jokes right now
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Almost died because of drinking? I'm so proud.
[donate][/donate]
ChrisC1997
First name: Chris
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by ChrisC1997 »

Carr, ease up dude.
carr

Post by carr »

ChrisC1997 wrote:Carr, ease up dude.

I'm really calm. I've just read this forum for a long time and it was almost comical to see how most members tried to deny what was going on with him while idolizing his lifestyle which is quite the cognitive ability!

And come on, having a profile picture of Deryck drinking and acting surprised when he is suffering what seems like cirrhosis is being hilariously unaware.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

carr wrote:

I'm really calm. I've just read this forum for a long time and it was almost comical to see how most members tried to deny what was going on with him while idolizing his lifestyle which is quite the cognitive ability!

And come on, having a profile picture of Deryck drinking and acting surprised when he is suffering what seems like cirrhosis is being hilariously unaware.
But that's completely untrue. You saw a couple of posts which indicated that those people weren't concerned with the health risks of the amount of drinking he did, and suddenly the entire forum is 'romanticising' and 'idolising' his lifestyle. There have been about 10 posts on this forum in the past year, so it wouldn't be too much to ask for you go to back and find a handful of examples of us acting like Deryck is some sort of rock 'n' roll god for the amount of drinking he does.

I also think it's important to note that, as many others have said, it's pretty common (if still a little disconcerting) to see musicians drinking that much while on tour/in the public spotlight. But none of us had any way of knowing that heavy drinking was a daily occurrence at home. Hell, I know plenty of very heavy drinkers who have never come close to any kind of severe organ damage because their drinking is not sustained like Deryck has only just revealed his was.
fuck this signature nonsense
carr

Post by carr »

Gregorovich wrote:
carr wrote:

But that's completely untrue. You saw a couple of posts which indicated that those people weren't concerned with the health risks of the amount of drinking he did, and suddenly the entire forum is 'romanticising' and 'idolising' his lifestyle. There have been about 10 posts on this forum in the past year, so it wouldn't be too much to ask for you go to back and find a handful of examples of us acting like Deryck is some sort of rock 'n' roll god for the amount of drinking he does.

I also think it's important to note that, as many others have said, it's pretty common (if still a little disconcerting) to see musicians drinking that much while on tour/in the public spotlight. But none of us had any way of knowing that heavy drinking was a daily occurrence at home. Hell, I know plenty of very heavy drinkers who have never come close to any kind of severe organ damage because their drinking is not sustained like Deryck has only just revealed his was.
This has been going on for more than six years and Sum 41 were basically known as the stupid drunk party band before that. That was their whole shtick. All of you loved it when Stevo got drunk. Their entire webseries when they released Underclass Hero was playing on their hard drinking.

Deryck has done nothing in the past years but orchestrating the dark, drinking rock star image and people on here ate it up. Just look at all the Jack Daniels signatures, the 'awesome drunk Deryck is burning up his guitar' the general 'Deryck is just doing his thing' posts. There is nothing cool about his collection of empty Jack Daniels bottles but most people here thought so. Once in a while somebody was 'worried' but most of the time people just thought Deryck was funny and awesome. Not once did somebody say how completely sad and pathetic Deryck living up the cliched rock star life was. When that radio interview was released I said that I was so tired of it and people didn't understand the problem.

I remember a specific reply that celebrated Deryck for "going hard" with the person lamenting that he was boring and working a nine to five job and not boozing everyday. From the documentary about making the last album, to the clip about his 30th birthday party, to all the updates in which he was drunk, to all the recent incidents to the rumors, the interviews in which he was fucked up and the recent pictures nobody ever talked about how pathetic he was.

Deryck was drunk and took to the part time hobby of spinning guns and giving himself a black eye for god's sake.

Which is why some of you complain about people being 'mean' when you look at online comments about Deryck as has happened when the pictures at the Petty concert were released. He looked like death warmed over and everyone saw it except people here.

In the last interview he was completely gone. I dared to say something about how the interviewer talked about how there was always a 'bottle of Jack' open whenever he visited Deryck at his house. And was shut down. I understand that people were excited about him talking about working on new music but mostly people focused on that and not on what was actually going on.

You all saw how Deryck pushed his bandmembers away in the recent years and started to hang out with a bunch of kids ten years his junior trying to make it big and hanging on to his fame. No word about that.

It was obvious why the tours got canceled, why Stevo left. I posted something here from a crew member working at a venue they had played, taking pictures of the tape made red arrows they put on the stage so that out of his mind drunk Deryck would be able to find backstage after the show. I posted reports of people who were at the tour and talked about how Deryck had lost it, but had too much money and too many enablers in his life to stop. Billy Talent talking about Deryck. People working behind the scenes who talked about how Deryck left the tour in the middle of the night, people working on Warped Tour who talked how the band used his bad back as an excuse when the band dropped out of the tour due to his alcoholism.

I posted countless pictures of Deryck trying to hide his bloated face when taking pictures with fans.

I tried to bring up the topic in my very last post, bringing up how the band members all spend time with each other but not with Deryck.

I was continually shut down by people talking about how Deryck was just fine, how Stevo just wanted to be with his family, how Deryck was photographed from a bad angle, how he was a little bloated due to medication, how his back was the problem.

There are interviews from a few years ago where Deryck was shaking and there was a general attitude here of how all of that was just funny and cool and he was just living the life most people couldn't.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

carr wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
carr wrote:

This has been going on for more than six years and Sum 41 were basically known as the stupid drunk party band before that. That was their whole shtick. All of you loved it when Stevo got drunk. Their entire webseries when they released Underclass Hero was playing on their hard drinking.

Deryck has done nothing in the past years but orchestrating the dark, drinking rock star image and people on here ate it up. Just look at all the Jack Daniels signatures, the 'awesome drunk Deryck is burning up his guitar' the general 'Deryck is just doing his thing' posts. There is nothing cool about his collection of empty Jack Daniels bottles but most people here thought so. Once in a while somebody was 'worried' but most of the time people just thought Deryck was funny and awesome. Not once did somebody say how completely sad and pathetic Deryck living up the cliched rock star life was. When that radio interview was released I said that I was so tired of it and people didn't understand the problem.

I remember a specific reply that celebrated Deryck for "going hard" with the person lamenting that he was boring and working a nine to five job and not boozing everyday. From the documentary about making the last album, to the clip about his 30th birthday party, to all the updates in which he was drunk, to all the recent incidents to the rumors, the interviews in which he was fucked up and the recent pictures nobody ever talked about how pathetic he was.

Deryck was drunk and took to the part time hobby of spinning guns and giving himself a black eye for god's sake.

Which is why some of you complain about people being 'mean' when you look at online comments about Deryck as has happened when the pictures at the Petty concert were released. He looked like death warmed over and everyone saw it except people here.

In the last interview he was completely gone. I dared to say something about how the interviewer talked about how there was always a 'bottle of Jack' open whenever he visited Deryck at his house. And was shut down. I understand that people were excited about him talking about working on new music but mostly people focused on that and not on what was actually going on.

You all saw how Deryck pushed his bandmembers away in the recent years and started to hang out with a bunch of kids ten years his junior trying to make it big and hanging on to his fame. No word about that.

It was obvious why the tours got canceled, why Stevo left. I posted something here from a crew member working at a venue they had played, taking pictures of the tape made red arrows they put on the stage so that out of his mind drunk Deryck would be able to find backstage after the show. I posted reports of people who were at the tour and talked about how Deryck had lost it, but had too much money and too many enablers in his life to stop. Billy Talent talking about Deryck. People working behind the scenes who talked about how Deryck left the tour in the middle of the night, people working on Warped Tour who talked how the band used his bad back as an excuse when the band dropped out of the tour due to his alcoholism.

I posted countless pictures of Deryck trying to hide his bloated face when taking pictures with fans.

I tried to bring up the topic in my very last post, bringing up how the band members all spend time with each other but not with Deryck.

I was continually shut down by people talking about how Deryck was just fine, how Stevo just wanted to be with his family, how Deryck was photographed from a bad angle, how he was a little bloated due to medication, how his back was the problem.

There are interviews from a few years ago where Deryck was shaking and there was a general attitude here of how all of that was just funny and cool and he was just living the life most people couldn't.
I asked for specifics and you just generalised even more. Link me to these posts you're constantly referring to, where everybody on this forum is continually shutting you down for exposing the 'truth' about Deryck. I think I speak for the majority of the forum when I say that I knew Deryck was leading an incredibly unhealthy lifestyle, but severe liver and kidney damage is a complete surprise when nobody knew about his drinking at home. Getting fucked on tour wasn't what did this to him, it was consistency in his habits when out of the spotlight. The only thing we had to go on was that one radio interview where he was drunk, from which alone it would be pretty preposterous to deduce that it was literally a daily occurrence.
fuck this signature nonsense