guitar help

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
heartcore-prisoners
Bunkface
Instrument 2: guitar

guitar help

Post by heartcore-prisoners »

heyall.
i've just posted a comment in a forum with a kid that needed guitar help. well that kinda got meh thinking that i need help too. =D'' aha..

so. i started a month ago on the acoustic. and now my main problem here are POWER CHORDS/BARRE CHORDS (the one where yu stick yur index finger across the fretboard). i just cant seem to get it.
so my question(s) is/are:
does it take time? any tips to stop the muting? is building a callus at the side of your finger normal?

godbless for all those who read and will answer my question.

ps. i posted this in the "The Sums" section cuz i kno that this forum is read more often, instead of the Musicians section. im so smart. :] (you know its a joke)
Byzzy

Post by Byzzy »

dude, all u need is practice, everyone sucked when they had a month playing the guitar, don't rush, just practice and eventually you'll become like deryck

ps: move this crap and ban this dude lol
heartcore-prisoners
Bunkface

Byzzy wrote:dude, all u need is practice, everyone sucked when they had a month playing the guitar, don't rush, just practice and eventually you'll become like deryck

ps: move this crap and ban this dude lol
i cant tell if the ps. part is a joke or a threat. =/

thanks anyway bro.
Rick
Jessica Kill

Post by Rick »

but yeah, seriously takes alot of practice theres no trick or anything you just got to get that finger and push down as hard as you can, now i use my index finger for the bar and my pinky for other part
http://searchwithsum41.prodege.com/?cmd ... &rb=143979
go there and sign up and win cool shit.
Pull_The_Curtis
Ma Poubelle

Post by Pull_The_Curtis »

power chords are easier.btw
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Kevin

Post by d4rkst4r »

callus's are normal, you'll eventually get, just keep practicing
tomhoppus is my hero.
heartcore-prisoners
Bunkface

haha. arite. thanks t'yall.
any other tips. jus post 'em. =)
Byzzy

Post by Byzzy »

dm_rick wrote:but yeah, seriously takes alot of practice theres no trick or anything you just got to get that finger and push down as hard as you can, now i use my index finger for the bar and my pinky for other part
i barely use my pinky lol
Rick
Jessica Kill

Post by Rick »

Byzzy wrote:
dm_rick wrote:but yeah, seriously takes alot of practice theres no trick or anything you just got to get that finger and push down as hard as you can, now i use my index finger for the bar and my pinky for other part
i barely use my pinky lol
you really gotta get going on that, it helps out so much
http://searchwithsum41.prodege.com/?cmd ... &rb=143979
go there and sign up and win cool shit.
Byzzy

Post by Byzzy »

dm_rick wrote: you really gotta get going on that, it helps out so much
it's hard and i don't even use my acoustic that much cause i suck playing it and i don't like to use it with a pick and i don't like to play with my fingers
SociallyInept
King of Contradiction
First name: Troy
Instrument 1: Vocals
Instrument 2: Guitar

Re: guitar help

Post by SociallyInept »

heartcore-prisoners wrote:i started a month ago on the acoustic. and now my main problem here are POWER CHORDS/BARRE CHORDS (the one where yu stick yur index finger across the fretboard).
Yeah, bar chords and power chords are two different things. What you described is a bar chord. A power chord only has three strings held down. Ummm, the only tip that I find helps for bar chords is to keep your left arm (or whatever hand you hold down the notes with) perpendicular to the fretboard so that it makes a T shape. It makes it easier to hold the chord then, or it does for me ayways. You'll get better with time, bar chords are probably one of the hardest things to learn.
heartcore-prisoners
Bunkface

Re: guitar help

SociallyInept wrote:
heartcore-prisoners wrote:i started a month ago on the acoustic. and now my main problem here are POWER CHORDS/BARRE CHORDS (the one where yu stick yur index finger across the fretboard).
Yeah, bar chords and power chords are two different things. What you described is a bar chord. A power chord only has three strings held down. Ummm, the only tip that I find helps for bar chords is to keep your left arm (or whatever hand you hold down the notes with) perpendicular to the fretboard so that it makes a T shape. It makes it easier to hold the chord then, or it does for me ayways. You'll get better with time, bar chords are probably one of the hardest things to learn.
haha. arite. thanks. yeah especially on the acoustic, cuz the strings are so thick, and are a hell lot furter from the fretboard than an electric. thanks loads man.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Playing with your pinky helps out so much and it only takes a day or two to get used to.

The trick to pulling off Bar-chords properly is keeping your hand calm and concentrating on getting the notes instead of muting the strings with your index finger and after a while the finger will just seem to do it for you, (You stlll have to bar with yer finger but if you concentrate on that more than hitting the notes you won't play it proper.As I said keep your hands relaxed!)
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

Sorry, dude, this is getting moved now.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.