Stevo Has Quit Sum 41

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re:

Post by Gregorovich »

Ardi41 wrote:If it really was because he wanted to spend more time with his family I guess he would have written that in his announcement ? So I assume there's more to it...
Bands/members seldom give an immediate explanation when this kind of thing happens. I mean, when Dave left due to 'creative differences', did the announcement say that?
fuck this signature nonsense
Sickore
Billy Spleen
First name: Justyna
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: FiFty_B
Twitter: j_sickore

Re: Stevo Has Quit Sum 41

Post by Sickore »

When I saw this morning what Stevo wrote on Twitter I was just speechless and I was sure that it's a joke. We don't know a real reason of his decision, but anyway I would like to thank Steve for all these years. Right now I can't imagine Sum41 whithout him, but I believe that guys will sort it out. It's not the end. Of course, it's the end of certain era, but I hope that they will carry on playing gigs, and making music.

Fuck, I will miss this guy. All the best for the future man!!
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

I remember checking their tour schedules early this year and thinking that it's ridiculous how little breaks they had. At some point there was like 1,5 months of touring without no longer than 2 day break or something. I thought it must be hard for Steve and his family. I'm sure they could have made it work like two weeks of touring and one week off -type of thing. Then again, even those two weeks are hard to be away from your family and little kid who's growing up every day.

So the choice for Sums is either call it quits or get a drummer and I think all of us want the latter one, we want new Sum 41 music. Deryck is writing his best stuff right now and it would be a shame to not get new music anymore.

Maybe they could have had a year or two off and Deryck could have recorded acoustic album he talked about loong time ago. I don't know. I think Tom's definitely part of the band right now and Tom, Cone and Deryck still have the essence of Sums in them. Sucks big hairy balls though. Interviews won't be the same anymore!
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Re:

Post by Mitchell »

I think he noticed that his kid is growing up really quick and he wants to be part of that, not just for himself but for the kid as well.
I think he might even come back at some point, he'll probably get bored of the normal life soon enough, he's been on the road for his entire adult life and almost half of his entire life, he doesn't know what else to do.
There are enough artists who make having a kid work with touring etc.
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

i think it's gotta have something to do with the drinking/drugs/general unhealthy lifestyle of the band (particularly deryck). i feel like now that stevo has a kid and is in his mid-30's, he realizes that it's a bad idea to keep living recklessly the way he has. plus he's gotten much fatter in recent years, too, so i'm sure he's noticed the toll it's taken on his life. as far as the deryck thing goes, i can't imagine they'll still be on good terms. i'm fine with them keeping on as sum 41, though. the only irreplaceable member is deryck, as he is the band's songwriter (music and lyrics). still, quite sad news.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

First off, I'm shocked. Speechless. I would have NEVER expected this to happen. I thought that whenever Sum 41 decides to call it quits, this would be their final lineup. Really sad to see Stevo go.

My theory? Just like Mitch said, Stevo probably realized how fast his kid has grown, and doesn't want to miss a second of it anymore.

Deryck's health is another story, but I can't see how that would effect Stevo's departure. About Stevo's health and lifestyle, he really isn't that crazy all the time. I've met him a few times, and he was probably the calmest member of the band those times. Deryck said that people always expect him to be the funny guy 24/7 because of all the videos they've seen, but he's acting like that only a small percentage of the day. Stevo is usually the first one to hit the bed, often before the party has even started. So drinking/partying can't be the case for him to step down.

Sum 41 is dead? For you maybe. Some say Sum 41 has been dead since Dave left. It's all about your opinions and your attitudes. I, for one, fell in love with their pop-punk style, but my musical taste evolved the same way their music did. But if your taste has stayed the same throughout the years, then it's obvious you're disappointed about their current direction.

The future? We can only wait and see. I really hope Deryck keeps writing music, whether it's Sum 41 or his solo stuff. I think Tom was a perfect replacement for Dave, so I hope they'll find someone great enough to step in Stevo's shoes. And yes, I'd rather see Sum 41 continuing to make music, even without Stevo. Who knows, maybe he'll still be recording the next album?

MAybe it's too early to think about the replacement candidates, but I really hope that Sum 41 would "stay in the family". By saying that, Dan Moyse would be the perfect choice. He's been in the band for 10 years, and know a lot of their songs already. And he loves those guys as much as they love him.

Also thought about Matt Brann, Cone's friend who recorded drums for the first OpMD album. And even crazier thought, Brown Tom on the drums while the guitar would be replaced by Todd Morse? :glad:

Anyways, still shocked, really sad to hear this. End of an era, but life goes on.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

TomiT14 wrote: And even crazier thought, Brown Tom on the drums while the guitar would be replaced by Todd Morse? :glad:
If that happened and Todd was to join the sums I'd go nuts ! :hehe:
Susanne
Goon

Re:

Post by Susanne »

Damn :( did not see that one coming but i have to admit that i get it. I just hope this isn't the end of Sum 41.
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

well there goes my chances of ever seeing them play "Thanks for Nothing" Live :(

im pretty bummed guys, but i guess we'll just have to see what happens next.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

:(

Sum 41, musically speaking, is Deryck in my opinion. But no one can deny how huge of a presence Stevo was in the band, in interviews and video updates...

Maybe deryck, cone, and tom would just be better off starting a new band, so they wouldn't have to deal with the inevitable comparisons to the former sum 41 featuring dave and stevo...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

It's time for that JonahRocks kid to step up!
pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by pescidavid »

I honestly don't know what I want at this point. As many others have said...this was so completely unexpected. I think right now I'd rather Deryck start a solo project than them trying to continue to be Sum 41. It just won't be the same and I'd rather see something new be born...I don't know. That might sound crazy, but the thought of going to see sum 41 and Stevo 32 not being there just really makes me sad...this is such a bummer
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Jeremy Kill wrote:It's time for that JonahRocks kid to step up!
Oh my God Jeremy this just made my day.

Yeah, Moyse seems like the obvious choice. I would also love to see Morse in the band, but just for sentimental reasons, haha.

At this point, I wouldn't say there's any end in sight for the guys. Deryck is the force behind Sum 41, and as long as he's writing, there will be a band. And I can't see Deryck ever stop writing until he's old and frail (as opposed to young and frail :devious: ).
fuck this signature nonsense
Tyler41
Walking Disaster
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by Tyler41 »

This is the only place I could think of to go to after hearing the news...

I genuinely thought it was a joke at first. Part of me still wants to think that. I never thought in a million years Stevo would leave. While reading it, my initial thought was that Tom was leaving. But, Stevo? He's like, the frontman of the band (even if he's the drummer). Always has been. I don't see the band suffering too terribly from the loss musically, I'm sure they'll find an excellent drummer. Stevo just brought something else to the band. His charisma took them to another level. I look forward to hearing the Sums next venture, but I can't help but be forever disappointed that I never got to see them live with Stevo or Brownsound.
All that I need is time for me to breathe. Dream little dreams that only I believe. Now that I see beyond the light, I'm gonna be, I'll be alright.
PTswim41
Billy Spleen
First name: Dan

Post by PTswim41 »

Either the band or Stevo needs to put out another statement further explaining why Stevo is leaving and what the future of the band is going to be. The message he put out doesnt seem like enough after being in the band for 17 years...
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Post by Queso Man »

I can't help but wonder when @stevosum41 is going to change all his Internet usernames...
PTswim41
Billy Spleen
First name: Dan

Post by PTswim41 »

gunna miss interviews like this
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Re: Stevo Quit?!?!

Post by SBMurder »

silverdolphin wrote:I first thought it was Tom before I continued reading, or Deryck even. Not the best news to wake up to. I hope Stevo's happy in whatever he decides to do.
Yea i was on Facebook and i saw Sum 41 then it says someone is leaving and my first thought was Tom... but Wow idk what will happen next... this was pretty much just after i saw them live with Billy Talent
The Jester
First name: Rick
Post by The Jester »

This obviously sucks, I always felt like their music made my life 2% better, but this fucked my day pretty bad.

I always felt like Sum 41 was a combination of Deryck's writing and their (mostly Stevo's) of stage antics. I really hate this happens before I got to see them live
Cladam

Post by Cladam »

I will never ever ever get to see Stevo 32.

All because I tripped next to a gutter.