Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Am I the only one bothered by this?

Post by Raku »

Yeah SBM is a nice album full of awesome songs and I really enjoy it... I'm just really bothered by the fact that Tom really didn't do anything for this album. I mean, he doesn't play any piano/guitar or sing back up on any of the tracks. The only thing he contributed to this album was one song and that was it.

This album was basically recorded like UH, as a trio =/

I hope on the next one he gets more involved...
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Re: Am I the only one bothered by this?

Post by SBMurder »

Raku wrote:Yeah SBM is a nice album full of awesome songs and I really enjoy it... I'm just really bothered by the fact that Tom really didn't do anything for this album. I mean, he doesn't play any piano/guitar or sing back up on any of the tracks. The only thing he contributed to this album was one song and that was it.

Well Deryck is the kind of guy who needs to do this the way he wants to
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

I don't really care for Tom. To me he will never be a member of Sum41, it's always Dave as the lead guitarist.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Raku wrote:Yeah SBM is a nice album full of awesome songs and I really enjoy it... I'm just really bothered by the fact that Tom really didn't do anything for this album. I mean, he doesn't play any piano/guitar or sing back up on any of the tracks. The only thing he contributed to this album was one song and that was it.

I'm not really bothered by it because I was really excited to hear what Deryck could do on guitar. I always thought that Dave wrote all the fast and heavy riffs in the past albums like Infected and Chuck until he quit the band and Deryck said he wrote everything. Underclass Hero didn't have me convinced, but when Deryck said they were going back to a darker style in 2009, I was really excited to hear what he could come up with.

That being said, there is some wicked guitar playing on this album, Deryck's definitely a capable guitarist. Though, I would like to see Tom contribute more. The title track of Screaming Bloody Murder is kickass.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

Yeah, it would be nice on their next projects if Tom contributed something and even played on some songs, but Deryck's his own entity and does it his way or collaborates on occasions. It's good to see D can come up with awesome heavy stuff, we'll see what music Tom has been working on with the new Gob album.
Last edited by MetalMilitant41 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

I'm more bothered by the fact that his name isn't in the booklet. I knew it was a given that deryck would record the guitar though.
Raku
Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Post by Raku »

spider-man wrote:I'm more bothered by the fact that his name isn't in the booklet. I knew it was a given that deryck would record the guitar though.
Why should his name be in the booklet if he didn't do anything but write one song for the album, and he didn't even record parts for said song?
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

spider-man wrote:I'm more bothered by the fact that his name isn't in the booklet. I knew it was a given that deryck would record the guitar though.
Yeah, it's a little strange, but apart from sendng 'Panic Attack' to Deryck and being around in a sort of advising way he didn't take part in the recording process. However he is an official member of the band now, so thats wierd.

Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

To be honest, Tom was working on the new Gob album while Deryck was working on SBM. He was asked to come to pre-pro and did contribute a lot, but as far as recording goes, he went back to NYC to work on Gob.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

fenderrocks wrote:To be honest, Tom was working on the new Gob album while Deryck was working on SBM. He was asked to come to pre-pro and did contribute a lot, but as far as recording goes, he went back to NYC to work on Gob.
Hopefully, on the next one he won't be working on new Gob stuff and can hopefully contribute to the writing process or at least play some guitar parts. :glad:

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Raku wrote:
Why should his name be in the booklet if he didn't do anything but write one song for the album, and he didn't even record parts for said song?
It should at least say somewhere on there:

"All songs written by Deryck Whibley except track 2; wirtten by Deryck Whibley and Tom Thacker."

Or something along those lines.
Volted
Bunkface

Post by Volted »

i always wondered, and this might sound off topic too, but does cone write the bass parts to the songs and does steve write the drums for the songs? of does deryck write them all and cone and steve just record what deryck tells them to?

i remember though that tom said he didn't record anything in the album, but he did write screaming bloody murder. i'm not really disappointed by the lack of credit for him. if anyone should be disappointed it should be tom himself, but i don't think he is.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

Yeah, he knows and understands his place in the band, and becuase he's the Gob singer and songwriter then that occupies his time and artisitc ability. Maybe in the future he'll be involved. Deryck kind of tells Stevo what he wants and Steve goes and works out drum parts for songs, I think Deryck and Cone must work together on the bass. Deryck must have the bass idea and then the same thing happens and Cone must work with it and show it to Deryck. I'm not sure with the bass as much though. Deryck is skilled enough to do it all I guess, but he still collaborates with Steve and Cone.
Last edited by MetalMilitant41 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

who the fuck is Tom?
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by UltraKolby »

I remember awhile ago that Tom(and Dave) said that he understands why Deryck wants to do all the guitar parts because thats his baby, and they don't want to get in the middle of it. So as long as Tom understands the reason why and if he's okay with it, then I think we should be okay with it.
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

well normally all band members are included regardless of who did the recordings. Didn't deryck do everything but a few solos on past albums? yet dave is still in the booklet. heck my friend is in a band where they have 2 guitar players, and neither of them record on the album. but of course they're still in the booklet.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Bobbyjames wrote:who the fuck is Tom?
*facepalm*

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah it sucks Tom isn't even in the booklet and that he didn't contribute to the recording or writing except for the title track. Although like Jeremy said I was also interested to see what Deryck do on his own in the guitar section which he did pretty badass and a lot better than the guitars on UH. Anyway, I hope that on the next album we'll see Tom contributing more.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Bobbyjames wrote:who the fuck is Tom?
DeLonge! Obviously! God, Bobby. :suicide: