Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

my review for SBM [SPOILERS]

Post by Noreason757 »

ok so by now i guess way more than half the members here have the album already, but heres my review.

Reason to Believe
ok well the album starts off with what sounds like to me the sound of a record playing in reverse. theres are some whispers and then the drums kick in, A BIG drum sound and then some BIG chords, this song is a great way to start off the album, after the opening it starts picking up and getting fast and aggressive but that dosent last for to long and it goes into some soft piano and ends the song that way. i would give this 4.5/5 :glad:

Screaming Bloody Murder
i'm pretty sure everybody has heard this one, its one of favorites on the album 5/5 :glad:

Scumfuk
the new opening is awesome, it has a dark feeling to it and kinda of sounds like a nursery rhyme. gets kinda heavy towards the end of the opening and then kinda has a strange transition to the regular skumfuk that we all know and love. 4.5/5 :glad:

Time for You to Go[/b}
now this song is interesting, it sounds like a true rock n roll song,
starts off with upbeat guitar and then the drums come in also upbeat, this is a song i could see being a single and a song i could see people dancing to, after 2 chorus's and verse's the solo comes in and rocks, then it gets quiet and all you can hear is the bass, Then there one more chorus and it ends, this song is one of my favorites 5/5 :glad:

Jessica Kill
This song is A.W.E.SOME. starts off with dark fast sounding guitar, the whole song is really aggressive and the chorus has a small resemblance to still waiting, this song could have easily came off DTLI or Chuck probably my 2nd favorite on the whole album 5/5 :glad:

What am I to Say
the first actual slow song on the album, really good lyrics, really good chorus, the song fits with the whole sound of the album, however i am not a big fan of this one, still a great song though, theres not really that much to say about this song.... 3.5/5 :happy:

Holy Image of Lies
this song starts of the dark road out of hell, and it starts off with fast vocals and music, still has the dark feel to it,
the guitar is pretty awesome in this song, after the fastness of the song it slows down the tempo, but then it comes back with even more awesomeness at about two minutes through the real epic parts of the song starts to show itself, and then when the piano comes in, its like OMG this is EPIC, the tempo keeps rising and then it switches to the next song, this song is my #1 favorite on the album. 5/5 :glad: :glad:

Sick of Everyone
starts with heavy guitar riff, and when it goes into the verse its ummm well i dont really know how to describe the sound, lets jst say interesting, and the music gets loud and when the chorus comes in its like wow these guys have grown up alot, this song has my favorite chorus in the album, with a lot of tempo changes and crazy epic stuff this has got to be some of sum 41's best work. 5/5 :glad:

Happiness Machines
I guarantee this song is unlike any song you have ever heard, it is just so epic with soft guitar in the background and heavy guitar up front, this is the most epic song on the album for sure and when the bridge/solo comes in u have to b left speechless, the song end in a slow tempo with some static in the background, a perfect song, 5/5 :glad:

crash
this song is B E A UTIFUL, its mainly piano but has some guitars in there every now and again, i swear it almost brought a tear to my eye. 5/5 :glad: :balling: :glad:

blood in my eyes
im guessing that mostly everybody heard this song already, its a very heavy song with lots of emotion, soft verses with loud chorus's, love the guitar riff, 5/5 :glad:

Baby you don't wanna know
this song is alot like time for you to go as in rock n roll, its a song you can definitely stomp and clap to, kinda reminds me of a mix between the beatles and rolling stones, its really upbeat and the solo is one of my favorites on the album, 5/5 :glad:

back where i belong
starts off with guitar and singing and then gets straight into the chorus, has a awesome guitar sound and then into verse and chorus but then after that it slows down but then comes this pretty amazing bridge and then one more chorus and its over with some weird sounds kinda like the ones heard in reason to believe, not one of my favorites but still pretty impressive 4.5/5 :glad:

exit song
this is the shortest song on the album pretty much nothing but singing and soft guitar, i guess its a good way to end a really amazing album. 4/5

overall i give this album an 8.8/10
probably gonna be my favorite sum 41 album, :glad: :glad: :silly: :silly: :glad: :glad: :happy: :happy: :winkwink: :winkwink:
Last edited by Noreason757 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mantera41
First name: Dustin

Re: my review for SBM [SPOILERS]

Post by mantera41 »

I agree with you pretty much. I like every song on here, even including What Am I to Say, which I think anyone who wasn't a huge fan of UH won't like too much. But the lyrics were still great. Speaking of lyrics, I think this is lyrically the best album by Sum 41. I'd also say it's probably the album with the best transitions ever--completely soft to completely heavy in ways you wouldn't expect. I'd say you're spot on with your review probably except I'd give it a 9-9.5 or so out of 10. Best Sums album IMO. I would've really liked to see a Hell Song Pt. 2 (wasn't that rumored?) but I guess a lot of these songs could be successors to The Hell Song.
Jables
Chuck
First name: Jables
360 Gamer Tag: The Sinful Baby
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Bouzouki

Post by Jables »

I agree with everything you said but I love 'What am I to Say' cos it's so damn beautiful and epic at the same time, not the same level of beauty as 'Crash' perhaps, but still one I'd never skip :glad: (although I'd never skip any of them cos they're so FECKING EPIC)
peacock41
Hooch
First name: Ryan

Post by peacock41 »

the bonus song sounds like cowboys ahha
Jables
Chuck
First name: Jables
360 Gamer Tag: The Sinful Baby
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Bouzouki

Post by Jables »

peacock41 wrote:the bonus song sounds like cowboys ahha
Wait, how? I'm intrigued :silly:
DeryckW
Billy Spleen
Last.fm Username: DeryckW

Post by DeryckW »

Guess i'm the only one that don't really like "Time for You to Go" and "Baby you don't wanna know" ;P

Mainly, you already said the reason, it's the rock and roll feeling over it I don't like. Other than that the album is amazing ; D

Great review also!
Sometimes I can't help think that I have you right behind me all this time
If only you could have a chance to see
All the happiness you gave to me
peacock41
Hooch
First name: Ryan

Post by peacock41 »

just the riffs and feeling of songs .. very like a rock n roll westerin haha

played Red Dead Redemption today with it blasting

reminds me of the desert photos....

it should be on the album
coreymouch
First name: Corey

Post by coreymouch »

REASON TO BELIEVE 10/10
SBM 8/10
SCUMFUCK 9/10 (the new intro, holy sh*t is all i have to say. whoa.)
TIME FOR YOU TO GO 7/10
JESSICA KILL 7.5/10
WHAT AM I TO SAY 9.3/10
HOLY IMAGE OF LIES 6.5/10
SICK OF EVERYONE 7/10
HAPPINESS MACHINE 7.5/10
CRASH 8/10
BLOOD IN MY EYES 8/10
BABY YOU DONT WANNA KNOW 7/10
BACK WHERE I BELONG 8/10
EXIT SONG 8/10
Overall i can only give this album about a 7.5/10. some riffs and songs are just epic, others are disappointing. I'm kind of disappointed in Sum 41. They put out a quality album, but it's not their best and it's not the quality that their albums should be on by now. They are beginning to show they reached their peak on Chuck.
Not to take anything away from this album, but it's just not as good as a few of their others. The songs are good but not great. Not to take away from the few great ones.

I like it but i don't love it.
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

coreymouch wrote:REASON TO BELIEVE 10/10
SBM 8/10
TIME FOR YOU TO GO 7/10
JESSICA KILL 7.5/10
WHAT AM I TO SAY 9.3/10
SICK OF EVERYONE 7/10
HAPPINESS MACHINE 7.5/10
CRASH 8/10
BLOOD IN MY EYES 8/10
BACK WHERE I BELONG 8/10
EXIT SONG 8/10
Overall i can only give this album about a 7.5/10. some riffs and songs are just epic, others are disappointing. I'm kind of disappointed in Sum 41. They put out a quality album, but it's not their best and it's not the quality that their albums should be on by now. They are beginning to show they reached their peak on Chuck.
Not to take anything away from this album, but it's just not as good as a few of their others. The songs are good but not great. Not to take away from the few great ones.

So how does Jessica Kill get worse rating than the exit song?
fallenchief08
First name: Mike

Post by fallenchief08 »

SBMurder wrote:
SBM 8/10
TIME FOR YOU TO GO 7/10
JESSICA KILL 7.5/10
WHAT AM I TO SAY 9.3/10
SICK OF EVERYONE 7/10
HAPPINESS MACHINE 7.5/10
CRASH 8/10
BLOOD IN MY EYES 8/10
BACK WHERE I BELONG 8/10
EXIT SONG 8/10

I was thinking the exact same thing
coreymouch
First name: Corey

Post by coreymouch »

fallenchief08 wrote:
SBMurder wrote:
SBM 8/10
TIME FOR YOU TO GO 7/10
JESSICA KILL 7.5/10
WHAT AM I TO SAY 9.3/10
SICK OF EVERYONE 7/10
HAPPINESS MACHINE 7.5/10
CRASH 8/10
BLOOD IN MY EYES 8/10
BACK WHERE I BELONG 8/10
EXIT SONG 8/10

I was thinking the exact same thing

i don't know, they are 2 different types of songs. I like both, but Jessica Kill has more potential than it lives up to