Bowling for Soup - Fishing for Woos to be released April 26

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Raku
Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Bowling for Soup - Fishing for Woos to be released April 26

Post by Raku »

We all know their last studio was a disappointment for all, I like to pretend they never made Sorry for Partyin' and instead focused on their Christmas EP (IMHO)

So when I found out they were making a new album (when they were recording it) I was very nervous that I would have to eventually stop listening to this band and just stick to their old stuff and that EP because in their updates, I saw they same friends/studio people hanging around with them when they recorded their last album...

I then heard two songs that where released early and it got my hopes up a little bit, but I was worried that they would still have their poppy songs that they wrote for their last record (again, seeing how they were working with the same studio people that worked on Sorry for Partyin')... Then today I was bored and did some research on wikipedia. I found this quote that helped release some of my fears about this new album. As I was the type of fan that they mentioned in that article, so I was happy...
Spoiler: show
Jamie: Well that totally makes sense. I hear that you guys have put your EP back because it sounds like you are pretty close to finishing a full album or something along those lines, is that why you’ve put it back?
Erik: Its all recorded, what’s happened is that we’ve left our record label, so there are things going on in that realm, and I think one of the coolest things that we could have ever done was to record a whole album on our own dime and do it exactly the way we wanted for the very very first time in ten years. There has been no-one outside of the band and the producers that has had any kind of say whatsoever on what we were doing, not even our managers. One of our managers came by the studio one day, he didn’t even go into the control room. He was passing through to go pick up his family to go on vacation and he stopped by and hung out for like thirty minutes in the lounge. He didn’t ask to hear anything didn’t wanna hear anything, just said hi, and it’s the only time that it’s gone down like this and we’ve made an amazing Bowling For Soup album, its very core to the sound of Bowling For Soup. On the last couple of albums, not saying that we got away from it but we used a lot of tricks and trinkets in the studio and decidedly for this album it was lets get it back down to two guitars, bass and drums. We still have the tricks and trinkets and whatever, “the candy for the kids” as we call it but it’s a lot more two guitars, bass and drums driven and it feels very cool, it feels very much like a 2002 – 2004 Bowling For Soup sound.
Link to artcle

Wiki basically summarized this nicely
Sound
Reddick stated in his ninth podcast that fans of Drunk Enough to Dance and A Hangover You Don't Deserve will like the album. Bassist/vocalist Erik Chandler said in an interview with Rocksins.com, that the album "feels very much like a 2002-2004 Bowling for Soup sound."[3]
Anyway, here are the songs that they released so far... My opinions will be put in spoiler tags, I rather you listen and get a feel for the music first before my views taint yours.
First song they released early, this sounds so much like the sound I fell in love with. A little bit of texas music and alternative rock (do not want to get into a genre debate =/) Lyrically I think this song could be considered weak and seen as a college fratboy life style song...
A song that matches the sound of that last one, but heavier... I like how they managed the lyrics in this song and I could see it as a ballad =P
Featuring Kay Hanley for the chorus
At first you expect an old styled 2002-2004 bfs song sprinkled with bits of perkiness... Well it does have perkiness, it just remind me of an 80's pop music and I really enjoyed that music when I was little
Overall, I am pretty optimistic about this album and sure I will enjoy it.
Last edited by Raku on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re: Bowling for Soup - Fishing for Woos to be released May 3

Post by Gregorovich »

'm not really too familiar with BFS, but these songs (especially the first) sound really great! i think i should be expressing a greater intrest in this band. what i really like about a few of their songs is the pure energy, powerful riffs and catchy hooks, and Friends Chicks Guitars shows all of these :silly:
fuck this signature nonsense
Filespit
Bunkface
First name: Peter

Post by Filespit »

Oh come on, Sorry For Partyin' wasn't that bad! Sure it has a radio-pop-feel but BFS is all about humor and that's what we got on SFP. I'm not saying it's their best, I think Drunk Enough to Dance is, but it sure wasn't that bad. Looking forward to Fishing For Woos either way though.
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

wow I really look forward for this record. sounds awesome so far. BfS is one of my favourite bands to be honest :) and I liked Sorry for Partyin' as well.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

SFP is no bad at all ...and poppy sound on the new album ??did you hear their songs like When We Die,Ridiculous,If You Come Back To Me and more ?? :D their last record was pretty cool for me ...Only Young,Gotcha and more good songs ...I don't see your disappointment,they did pretty much the same shit as they had done before ...a few slower songs(Me With No You,Goodbye Friend) a the other ones were just fun and fast melodies...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

This sounds great so far man, ive been meaning to check these out, i've already heared Friends , Chicks and Guitars. But eh rest sound very tasty, apparently their first Single is going to be called Saturday Night, and i agree Sorry for Partyin' wasnt that bad but it wasn't their best, i loved Hooray For Beer, I Gotchoo and No Hablo Ingles on that record. My favourite BFS album had to be the great Drunk Enough to Dance and then in second The Great Burrito Extortion Case. Can't wait for it

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
Susanne
Goon

Post by Susanne »

Yeah SFP was alright. Maybe not the best BFS album but alright still.

These new songs sound rather great ! I'm looking forward to this album =)
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Great news ! May see them in April in UK
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

they could come a little bit closer :/. I'd like to go on their show a lot.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

Heres the album cover for BFS's new album

dff_punk
Bunkface
Instrument 2: vocals
Last.fm Username: dff_punk
Twitter: dff_punk

Post by dff_punk »

The new songs sound really awesome, looking forward to the new record.

And what is it about Sorry For Partying sounding too poppy? Bowling For Soup have ALWAYS made poppy songs and melodies, with their trademark funny lyrics. Maybe you were talking about the different more radio-like arrangements in the latest album, but still I think they have been always poppy, which is not a bad thing because of the lyrics and catchy melodies they have always had.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

sorry for partyin' was awesome dude! and those songs sound good

and i've seen them live in australia once, they outdid sum 41 on that night (both bands played and so did vandals and pennywise) :D
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

New Fisrt Single, typical BFS but great tune, you've gotta love em'

Raku
Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Post by Raku »

MetalMilitant41 wrote:
New Fisrt Single, typical BFS but great tune, you've gotta love em'
Thank you for posting that song, I enjoyed it... The intro kind of had a High School Never Ends vibe to it.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

I thought that too, i love the lyrics and i love the song dont get me wrong but it's not as good as High School Never Ends, the song idea is a bit stereotypical, but it's still a great catchy tune, i might get bored of it soon though, but at least we've got more songs from BFS to keep us going

FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

fuck I found out about that song just now ! it's pretty cool
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

FuckT41182 wrote:SFP is no bad at all ...and poppy sound on the new album ??did you hear their songs like When We Die,Ridiculous,If You Come Back To Me and more ?? :D their last record was pretty cool for me ...Only Young,Gotcha and more good songs ...I don't see your disappointment,they did pretty much the same shit as they had done before ...a few slower songs(Me With No You,Goodbye Friend) a the other ones were just fun and fast melodies...
Duuuude... Did you even buy the last record? Because Goodbye Friend wasn't really on it!

Anyways, I like the sound of S-S-S-Saturday. Can't wait for the album to come out, hope it brings some other type of songs than the usual BFS.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

patenttiftw wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:SFP is no bad at all ...and poppy sound on the new album ??did you hear their songs like When We Die,Ridiculous,If You Come Back To Me and more ?? :D their last record was pretty cool for me ...Only Young,Gotcha and more good songs ...I don't see your disappointment,they did pretty much the same shit as they had done before ...a few slower songs(Me With No You,Goodbye Friend) a the other ones were just fun and fast melodies...
Duuuude... Did you even buy the last record? Because Goodbye Friend wasn't really on it!

Anyways, I like the sound of S-S-S-Saturday. Can't wait for the album to come out, hope it brings some other type of songs than the usual BFS.
it's a b-side track,so I consider it as a part of the album ...as well as I consider I wanna fuck a dog in the ass as a part of TOYPAJ
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

FuckT41182 wrote:
patenttiftw wrote:

it's a b-side track,so I consider it as a part of the album ...as well as I consider I wanna fuck a dog in the ass as a part of TOYPAJ
Haha whatever dude, it's obvious you didn't pick this one on your shopping cart if you consider that song as a part of the album YOU HAVE but IT ISN'T ON ALBUM. I mean... It's ok man. I don't buy that much albums anymore either.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

patenttiftw wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
patenttiftw wrote:

Haha whatever dude, it's obvious you didn't pick this one on your shopping cart if you consider that song as a part of the album YOU HAVE but IT ISN'T ON ALBUM. I mean... It's ok man. I don't buy that much albums anymore either.
I don't have it in the album folder,I have it in the b-sides folder ...doesn't mean I can't know to which album is that or other b-side track related ...

and yes,I didn't buy it...If I was to buy every album that I would like to,I'd end up living without money ...I will buy Sums new album and Blink 182 new album ...it will cost me like 40 euros...and then,I'll maybe buy something else...