Rise Against

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Re: Rise Against

Post by Hentaiman »

Well, I'm kinda disappointed with this album.. I mean, it's not a bad album, it's solid but kinda boring. All the people who said it has some of the elements of The Sufferer & the Witness... I can't see it.. I wish though! It has none of the aggression and energy of the old stuff.. It just kidna continues the direction of ATR, just less energetic, less cool riffs and shit.. I mean, there are still some good songs like Architects, Survivor Guilt, Make It Stop and A Gentlemen's Coup, but overall.. it lacks energy and something to make the song memorable. I can say that after at least 5-6 listens to the album from beginning to end, I still don't have any particular songs stuck in my head or whatever (the way BIME was when I heard it only once or twice), it's just not memorable enough, except for maybe the riff of A Gentlemen's Coup, and the intro of Make It Stop which I really like.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Hentaiman wrote:Well, I'm kinda disappointed with this album.. I mean, it's not a bad album, it's solid but kinda boring. All the people who said it has some of the elements of The Sufferer & the Witness... I can't see it.. I wish though! It has none of the aggression and energy of the old stuff.. It just kidna continues the direction of ATR, just less energetic, less cool riffs and shit.. I mean, there are still some good songs like Architects, Survivor Guilt, Make It Stop and A Gentlemen's Coup, but overall.. it lacks energy and something to make the song memorable. I can say that after at least 5-6 listens to the album from beginning to end, I still don't have any particular songs stuck in my head or whatever (the way BIME was when I heard it only once or twice), it's just not memorable enough, except for maybe the riff of A Gentlemen's Coup, and the intro of Make It Stop which I really like.
THIS. Although I really do think there are a lot of TS&TW elements in there. Though I didn't really like TS&TW. I loved ATR for it's originality, melody and variety, which I think RA's other albums, including TS and SSotCC, lacked. I guess Endgame was a great album but I just set my expectations so high after having such a high personal view of ATR.
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

I agree with Hentaiman. Overall I consider this an okay album that could grow on me. It's a bit weak, I'm really missing the agression from the old Rise Against, there isn't a single song on this album that I think is as good as my personal favorite Ready to fall. But this could keep me entertained untill SBM.
Last edited by lisaNL on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sum54184
Bunkface
First name: Hisham

Post by sum54184 »

I think it's a good album
It just a sad song
Sickore
Billy Spleen
First name: Justyna
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: FiFty_B
Twitter: j_sickore

Post by Sickore »

lisaNL wrote:But this could keep me entertained untill SBM.
That's why I downloaded this album.

I think its just cool. It isn't the best that I heard but I can rate Endgame as 7,5/10.
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

was the leak taken down? cause i cant find it for my life...
Owantjaaaa
First name: Owen
Last.fm Username: Owantjaaaa

Post by Owantjaaaa »

Saw them live yesterday and bought the new CD at the concert ^^
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

bought the CD today, after the first listen I quite like it.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

This is a decent album. I'm no expert on Rise Against but after a first listen it leans more toward that "Appeal to Reason" sound to me than it does The Suffer & the Witness.

Except for Architects and Make It Stop, the first half was pretty boring. It kind of just moseyed on to track 7. The last half was much better though. I really enjoyed Survivor Guilt and (I can't really remember now) either Wait for Me or A Gentleman's Coup.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

the album is decent i must say, however i feel they've fallen into their comfort zone. the structure of the songs are predictable and the drum patterns are the same 'ol Rise Against. that being said, it's still a good album but i expected more, it has yet to "grow" on me. so far i really like Architects, Satellite and Survivor Guilt.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

2712 wrote:and the drum patterns are the same 'ol Rise Against.
Yeah, I notice they do that drum beat that's like the one off the game "Punk-o-matic". Always reminds me of each other, haha.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

yesterday I listened to Endgame and Yellowcard's new album while taking a walk in the rain ...and I found out that everything sounds better when you walk in the rain
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

2712 wrote:the album is decent i must say, however i feel they've fallen into their comfort zone. the structure of the songs are predictable and the drum patterns are the same 'ol Rise Against. that being said, it's still a good album but i expected more, it has yet to "grow" on me. so far i really like Architects, Satellite and Survivor Guilt.
I know excatly what you mean, about the "comfort zone" and I'm really sad it happened. I hope with the next album they'll grow instead of just keep doing it. I mean, the songs are not bad and not going backwards in the way UH went to after Chuck you know, not in that sense.. it's just keeping the same level ya know. Appeal to Reason was mediocre, well it was nice, it had some really cool exploding songs but most was disappointing compared to Sufferer & the Witness and Siren Song, and from here it goes the same way... it was even less memorable songs. It's not that the others are bad, they're just keeping that same level, same drums, same rhythms, like you said it's their "comfort zone" it's what comes easy to them and it's what they do good enough and it's like they can do more but they don't want to and they just comfortable with it that way, not to mention this album was made really quick, making me think they just wanted to make another album quick so they just did it quick this way and that's why it's so mediocre and predictable. Kinda like if they maybe took the time and put together some new stuff they never did and such, it could take more time like SBM but we could get an album that is really a grow for them since ATR and being different than ATR, rather than just the same time again.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

I like it, not as good as RPM, but then again i can't think of many records that are. Anyone else gets the Against Me! reference in Architects?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

Emil wrote:I like it, not as good as RPM, but then again i can't think of many records that are. Anyone else gets the Against Me! reference in Architects?
haha yep! i noticed it first time i heard it. made me :hehe:
Last edited by Dylan on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter!
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Emil wrote:I like it, not as good as RPM, but then again i can't think of many records that are. Anyone else gets the Against Me! reference in Architects?
yeah it made me smile,Against Me rock !
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Rise Against Me!
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

does anyone else think that the chorus of "This Is Letting Go" is freakishly similar to "Give It All"?????
Volted
Bunkface

Post by Volted »

i think rise against's use of that quote that just so happens to be in an against me song might be more than just a reference. the song "i was a teenage anarchist" is about someone who gives up their childish anger and decides to grow up and be a member of society. the song "architects" is about sticking to your beliefs, so it might be a way of rise against saying that people should continue to believe in what they used to and not turn away and use against me as an example. i certainly hope that's not rise against's intention because i like both bands very much.

as for the rest of endgame, i really like it. there's nothing in it that i think could be as big as 'prayer of the refugee' but i find this album has a lot less filler than appeal to reason. 'make it stop' touches on a subject that not a lot of bands have covered (at least that i know of). survivor guilt is a continuation of the story of 'hero of war' kind of, and the use of movie dialogue was pretty cool.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

Volted wrote:i think rise against's use of that quote that just so happens to be in an against me song might be more than just a reference. the song "i was a teenage anarchist" is about someone who gives up their childish anger and decides to grow up and be a member of society. the song "architects" is about sticking to your beliefs, so it might be a way of rise against saying that people should continue to believe in what they used to and not turn away and use against me as an example. i certainly hope that's not rise against's intention because i like both bands very much.
i don't think that's their intention, Rise Against and Against Me! are pals.

do know if you've read this already, but this a blog entry from Tom Gabel and he describes the meaning and story behind "I Was a Teenage Anarchist".

http://ifeelsicktomystomach.blogspot.co ... chist.html

but i believe the songs complement each other. collectively they say "think for yourself. do what you want to do and don't let what other people think get in the way of that."

and that really is what "punk" music is all about; thinking for yourself.

Follow me on Twitter!