Busted iPod

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

Jeremy Kill
Busted iPod

Post by Jeremy Kill »

So I went to work out today, grabbed my iPod and... it wouldn't do anything. The screen was on and had the list of artists, but the screen was frozen. I tried using the hold switch - nothing. I tried pushing all the buttons and doing that reset combination - nothing. I tossed on the ground and did my workout anyway - still broken. I put a magnet on top of it to see what it did - nothing. I plugged it in to charge - nothing.

Is my iPod fucked for good? Should I wait and kill the battery, then see what happens? Though, I'll probably end up buying a new one tomorrow when I go to do some errands. I hope they still sell the iPod Classics with the 80GB or whatever.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Re: Busted iPod

Post by Boni »

Tried plugging it into the computer?
[donate][/donate]
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I did and it didn't get recognized. It just stays the same when I plug it in. iTunes doesn't automatically start up, the screen doesn't light up and the battery doesn't indicate that it's charging. Even when I open iTunes manually it doesn't appear on that side bar.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to reset. On my old Nano is was the center button and Play, but on this one it's Menu and the center button. I just assumed it would've been the same for both iPods, haha. Anyway, a new iPod wouldn't be so bad as the one I just fixed is dented and crooked from me almost destroying the thing when I couldn't fix the problem.
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

ah lucky you

I got an iPod for my last Birthday and it went crazy after like a cupple of months
it came up this error code with a big red X on the screan telling me to go to this link on the Apple webiste
so i went on it and followed the instructions but nothing happened
Luckily my iPod was still under warrenty so i sent it away and got a brand spanking new 1 within a week and they also upgraded my 120GB to the new 160GB which was nice :happy:

still the fear of "Oh No My Ipod :balling: "

ive heard A LOT of storys about Ipods fucking up they just dont seem to be very reliable
Last edited by Mr-David-Blues on Tue May 11, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

I've never had a problem with any of my ipods
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Anybody that knows me will know of my hate of iPods. Give me a Sandisk Sansa or Sony Walkman anyday.
[donate][/donate]
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

give me an ipod anyday.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Haha, I have the same problem and the first time it happened, I just left there it until the battery died so it had to reboot. Later, I found out there was the Menu-Center hold solution, which was good to know, because since it went through the washing machine once, it keeps doing that every once in a while.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Wish i had to money to buy ipod's all willy-nilly.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

sell a testicle then.
Shiv
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Shiv
PSN ID: Communsim
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by Shiv »

get an ipad

LMAO :hehe:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff53 ... 1252973533[/imgwidth]

Zell1010
Billy Spleen
First name: Andy
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Zell1010 »

Mr-David-Blues wrote:ah lucky you

I got an iPod for my last Birthday and it went crazy after like a cupple of months
it came up this error code with a big red X on the screan telling me to go to this link on the Apple webiste
I had this problem too. To fix it I did some googling and found that it was possibly the needle inside the ipod not reading the files and that if i were to hit the side of the ipod hard then I would realign it. I did it and it worked.

Moral of the story... hitting stuff is good :)
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I bought a 160GB iPod Classic today. I guess that's the only ones they had left for the Classics, but that's okay, because it's an upgrade from the 80GB. I wondered if an iPod Touch would be worth getting, but $400 for a 64GB one was just too much.
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

Zell1010 wrote:
Mr-David-Blues wrote:ah lucky you

I had this problem too. To fix it I did some googling and found that it was possibly the needle inside the ipod not reading the files and that if i were to hit the side of the ipod hard then I would realign it. I did it and it worked.

Moral of the story... hitting stuff is good :)
haha well i tried various things i found on the internet but when nothing worked some people suggested i strip it down and do something to the insides so i thought i better justsend it away and get it done profesionally
Jeremy Kill wrote:I bought a 160GB iPod Classic today. I guess that's the only ones they had left for the Classics, but that's okay, because it's an upgrade from the 80GB. I wondered if an iPod Touch would be worth getting, but $400 for a 64GB one was just too much.
160GB is defo the best iPod IMO especially if your a huge Music and Film freak like me
I aim to fill my 160GB iPod with just music :silly:
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Mr-David-Blues wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:I bought a 160GB iPod Classic today. I guess that's the only ones they had left for the Classics, but that's okay, because it's an upgrade from the 80GB. I wondered if an iPod Touch would be worth getting, but $400 for a 64GB one was just too much.
160GB is defo the best iPod IMO especially if your a huge Music and Film freak like me
I aim to fill my 160GB iPod with just music :silly:
Haha, good luck with that! I wanted to do that with my 80GB, but it was taking me forever. I was getting tired of downloading discography after discography, labeling all the tracks properly and putting album art on the songs. With the 160GB I have freedom to have tons of music and movies. I always thought of the iPod as a music-only device so it would've been like cheating myself out of all the music I could listen to if I got the iPod Touch.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

I treated myself to a 64gb Touch last year, it's already nearly full
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Haha, good luck with that! I wanted to do that with my 80GB, but it was taking me forever. I was getting tired of downloading discography after discography, labeling all the tracks properly and putting album art on the songs.
Im a bit of a tidy freak I have to do all that with my iPod too lol