5 years after

Talk about what's happening now. Talk politics. Talk about whatever is going on in this world.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

5 years after

Post by TomiT14 »

Not that current, but still worth a thread imo.

On December 26th in 2004, my family was staying in Bangkok, Thailand as we accompanied my Dad, an airline pilot, for his worktrip.
It was supposed to be a nice short holiday for us, but it turned out to be nothing like it.

Even though Bangkok is far away from the area where the tsunami hit, the effect was seen in Bangkok too. The hysteria among the people, everyone was talking about it, having their own guesses on what had happened. Every TV channel was talking about it. What I found to be the most frightening was the death toll rising by 10,000 every hour. The footage taken by the tourists and locals was something uindescribable too.

Then it hit hard on my family. We heard that close friends of ours, a whole family, was reported missing. My sister was in total panic, since her very best friend was there.
Lots of phone calls trying to find out their status. Of course, it was useless, since everyone else was trying to do the same, but there wasn't really anything else to do.

Our holiday was to last 4-5 days, but it ended up being only 2 days. My Dad made a lot of arrengements and phone calls to change his flight to leave couple of days earlier, and to transform the plane into an evacuation friendly form. When we were at the airport, about to leave back home, the sight was terrifying. People in minimum clothes with lots of bruises and wounds, stretchers with people in weak conditions. And in addition to all the injuries, almost every one of them had lost someone out there.

There was also this one 10-year-old boy in a stretcher, who had lost his whole family, parents and two brothers. My Dad was with him the majority of the flight, leaving the flight duties to co-pilots. Today, after five years, my Dad still visits him every once in a while in his new family.

The close family friends of ours, only the teenage boy survived. His stories of survival were horrendous to hear.

That day was one of the worst in my life, and a day I'll never forget.
All the best wishes to the people who lost someone out there.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Re: 5 years after

Post by samueeL »

Don't really know what I should write here, I just know that I have to write something..
Bass Cone
Underclass Hero
First name: Brittany
Instrument 1: French Horn
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Bass Cone »

Its hard to imagine that this kind of stuff happens when you're so far away from all of it. I personally can't fathom the thought of being in a situation like this... It really makes me feel extremely lucky. RIP to all those who died.
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

damn, that's sad
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

This story gave me chills... That's really cool that your dad visits that boy. Very touching.
geeinglat
Goon
First name: Geanine

Post by geeinglat »

I don't know what to say... I just can't imagine something like that happening, it's awful. D:
V
Administrator
Administrator
First name: V
Instrument 2: Hero
Last.fm Username: valenzine
Twitter: valenzine

Post by V »

I was away from home too... I was spending a few weeks at my best friend dad's house in the beach... We saw it on TV and we just couldn't believe it. Also, about that same time there was a huge accident in a discotheque in Buenos Aires (Argentina's capital city, where I live now) and almost 200 kids died in a fire. It was a tragic summer.

My friend's dad died a little over a year now. It is so touching to read first person accounts of these situations.
Don't try to kill a mockingbird, they're the fucking mafia of the animal kingdom.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

wow, I don't really know what to add to the comments that have been said, but stories like this do make you think
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, I don't know what to say to this, but I couldn't imagine the sight of it all. It would have been terrible of course. I just saw a special on this on TLC and it showed all the tourists' home videos of the tsunami and focused of the stories of several people. The saddest part was when it had a home video of a family finding their loved one's picture amongst many that have been posted on a bulletin board so the bodies could be identified.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

A guy in my class family was there. Lucky for them all of them survived. But alot of people at my brother's school didn't.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Yeah, I don't know what to say to this, but I couldn't imagine the sight of it all. It would have been terrible of course. I just saw a special on this on TLC and it showed all the tourists' home videos of the tsunami and focused of the stories of several people. The saddest part was when it had a home video of a family finding their loved one's picture amongst many that have been posted on a bulletin board so the bodies could be identified.
Yeah, saw that one too. Tough times.