Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Re: Scumfuck Download + Discussion

Post by Tyler. »

i think that this would be a really good opener to the concert, but the end falls down a bit.
but, i think if they picked the right song, scumfuck could lead into another awesome song and it would be fucking epic. like they don't stop after the quiet bit.
i think it will be a lot better live than on the record. but will they have to get someone else to play the piano parts? otherwise deryck will have to move round a bit
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Tyler. wrote:i think that this would be a really good opener to the concert, but the end falls down a bit.
but, i think if they picked the right song, scumfuck could lead into another awesome song and it would be fucking epic. like they don't stop after the quiet bit.
i think it will be a lot better live than on the record. but will they have to get someone else to play the piano parts? otherwise deryck will have to move round a bit
I think the guitar parts are simple so Tan Tom would be the pianist then.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
peacock41
Hooch
First name: Ryan

Post by peacock41 »

i think its about avril plain and simple

what can i say
guesss it obvious you would end up this way...

with avril being a model and superstar and bassicly the way she acts now

and the end ... time to breath bit could be him talking about the divorce and how he will feel better with time

i also think D should play the bit at the end not tom
as it would look more personal and i could imagagine a dark stage and a spotlight
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

i really like the song but i feel like something is missing
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

a few days ago i read an interview where Deryck said that he wrote a piano ballad that is an artistic high point.. does anyone have the link cause I can't find it anymore :(
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

blackhawk1105 wrote:a few days ago i read an interview where Deryck said that he wrote a piano ballad that is an artistic high point.. does anyone have the link cause I can't find it anymore :(
http://theresnosolution.com/forum/viewt ... =4&t=12490
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

^^yeah its the Star interview on the second page
Their as-yet-untitled fifth album, which Whibley says should be out in October, is “pretty eclectic, pretty aggressive and more of an album than a collection of songs.” He cites one piano ballad as an artistic high point, “a song that’s just me and a piano that everyone will think is about my breakup, even though it’s been around for five years.”
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

so there are some fuckers around youtube who have uploaded the song without crediting us, think we should do something
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Schmiznatch wrote:As far as "Scumfuck" goes, I find myself a bit torn as to it's meaning. It seems to be a very accusatory song, that not only seeks to rationalize the individual's outcome, "I guess it's obvious you'd end up this way", while also feeling disconnected from that person's actions, "I hear you talk, but I don't hear you speak." While I don't believe the song is about Avril herself, I do believe it is about the relationship. It seems to be saying, "of course this would happen, look at my behavior, look at my actions." In fact, I feel like this could be a "reimagining" of what Deryck views Avril saying/thinking to him. Explaining that while she wishes him the best of luck, she recognizes he is a Scumfuck that seemingly will never change and will continue to not care about what happens further on down the road. I'm not sure what the final words are towards or who they are spoken by, perhaps it is Deryck's thoughts after the end or Avril after breaking away from this drag on her life, this Scumfuck.

I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me, but that is what makes art so enthralling. I look forward to your analysis.
That's a really interesting analysis. After listening to the song with this insight, it sounds like Deryck's reflecting upon his current self and situation (A victim or just a tragedy). Though it's hard to think of it as his own view of himself as he's been living the same lifestyle for almost a year (probably during the time this song was written). So for the song to be about past or future Deryck criticizing his present lifestyle would be make the song hypocritical.

One line that makes me believe it's about someone else is "You've cursed your silver spoon so black". I'm not sure if "cursed' is the right word in that line, but I'm positive about "silver spoon." That's a term that is used for people of wealthy backgrounds and environments. Deryck was never born into a wealthy environment. However, it could be a metaphor for a different kind of wealth (probably his marriage to Avril) and how he feels like he ruined it and caused this silver spoon to go black.

The last part of the song seems like it's Deryck in present day as the Scumfuck himself. Saying how he'll be alright as long as he keeps breathing and dreaming.

I'm kind of too tired to go into it further (not sure I could) but I find songs with meanings like this make them a whole lot more enjoyable. When I heard Deryck say that Speak of the Devil was made so that the first verse and chorus was his personal demons perspective and the second verse and chorus was his, it instantly became a favorite song of mine.

Plus, it kind of makes Scumfuck a more tragic and meaningful song if it turns out it was actually self-reflection rather than say... an attack on Brody Jenner.
Yeah, I sort of feel like the silver spoon thing is him suggesting that he was involved in or did something that messed up the privileged life he's been thrown into. That "something" is probably his divorce, but the more I listen to the song, the more I truly believe that that is the only reference to it.

"The dead"? The dead inside? Deryck loves LA, but he seems to hate the media and the whole idea of celebrity, so Hollywood is a completely different story and he definitely was thrown into a life where he lived amongst a lot of Hollywood's most hollow.

He's likely also commenting on the lifestyle he was leading for a while. It certainly didn't go without notice that he was appearing drunk a lot more in public and that there wasn't very much fire in his eyes. The fire's back now -- I'm definitely not saying the level of partying has changed at all, though. But that's definitely what the gutter/grave thing could be referring to.

I definitely believe that the last little bit is the Scumfuck. No question. And considering how much emotion is in his voice during that part, I think it's pretty safe to say that Deryck is meant to be the speaker.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
deadbysunrise
First name: George

Post by deadbysunrise »

Thank you very much for that song, guys!

I've got mixed feelings 'bout it, though. I mean... it's good, but Sum 41 can do a lot better imo. It's very different from what I'm used to hear from them. What I like most about it is definitely the lyrics. Awesome ones, as usual!
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Wow, finally came back home and listened to it! Its amazing! To be honest, its not one of the greatest Sum 41 songs but its really really cool... Deryck's voice sounds so different and amazing! The song whole heavy riff and all reminds me of Chuck while the quiet ending along with the backing vocals and harmonies remind me kinda of UH, so for me it sounds kinda like a mix of Chuck & UH, though in the beggining it sounded to me like a Chuck-era song, now it sounds more like something in the vein of UH just heavier or maybe one of the heavier UH tracks ,like The Jester or CYLB, I dunno... still its great and I like the lyrics as well as the guitars, D's voice, and everything, basically..! Can't wait for the album!
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

^^yeah I was hoping it would be a mix of Chuck and UH, this sound is exactly what I was hoping for..and like its been said this is the bad song, can't imagine what the rest will be like
Susanne
Goon

Post by Susanne »

Of course things like that happen here when I'm not around :I

I think the song's great! I've had it on repeat ever since I got it downloaded. I really love this new direction and I totally agree with the one who said something like that the song sounds like Sum 41 but it's different to their previous work. I don't remember who said it anymore and am too lazy to go back to read through all the 19 pages :sosad:

Now I'm even more excited about the album than before!
Jesus Christ Supermarket
Hooch
First name: Scott

Post by Jesus Christ Supermarket »

Without a doubt it's about Deryck's relationship with Avril and how Deryck became a (or at least felt like a) "scumfuck" after it ended.
Last Listened to:
Radiohead- Amnesiac
9/10
Favorite song: Pyramid Song/ Knives Out
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Love it.

They're best work hands down.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

I don't know if this was already posted but this site links the download to here http://www.crawdaddy.com/index.php/2010 ... -to-enjoy/
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

Jake-41 wrote:Love it.

thats not what you said on xbl!
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Sumfan wrote:

Yeah... I should edit that. I was blinded by the bliss of a new song. It's decent but if a single, i hope it's my least favorite of the 3, which is how many they usually release.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake-41 wrote:
Sumfan wrote:

Yeah... I should edit that. I was blinded by the bliss of a new song. It's decent but if a single, i hope it's my least favorite of the 3, which is how many they usually release.
It won't be a single. It was almost cut from the album.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:
Sumfan wrote:

It won't be a single. It was almost cut from the album.
If this isn't a single, i'd like to see 3 other songs beat it. I think it should be a single, because it really is a good song, i just hope it isn't the best.