Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

pull the curtain has the best solo from UH for sure.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
jsd2
Bunkface

Post by jsd2 »

1. The Bitter End

I think Little Know It All has a really cool solo. (and yes it counts. iggy paid him for it. plus dave plays the solo.)
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Just wanted to make it clear, there are no solos in UH, which is disappointing. what you believe to be solos are basic outros that come in after the chorus and serve like, instead of solos, but are not really original or cool like solos, and too short to be solos.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

Hentaiman wrote:Just wanted to make it clear, there are no solos in UH, which is disappointing. what you believe to be solos are basic outros that come in after the chorus and serve like, instead of solos, but are not really original or cool like solos, and too short to be solos.
No its a solo. just a strumming one instead of picking.
ChapStick
Bunkface

Post by ChapStick »

Yeah UH does have a few solos but they are nothing special and just go right over your head, they're the type that you'd expect to hear on a new Green Day album..
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

ChapStick wrote:Yeah UH does have a few solos but they are nothing special and just go right over your head, they're the type that you'd expect to hear on a new Green Day album..
ALWAYS with the green day comparison :lol:
cool kids
Ma Poubelle

Post by cool kids »

bitter end and then in too deep
July 5 2003 Sum 41 show
ChapStick
Bunkface

Post by ChapStick »

sumfan wrote:
ChapStick wrote:Yeah UH does have a few solos but they are nothing special and just go right over your head, they're the type that you'd expect to hear on a new Green Day album..
Oh i'm not saying they copy green day (Sums are much more talented) what i mean was Green Day used to do good solos but the ones on American Idiot sucked, so i don't think it's a good thing that solos from songs like UH sounds like they're straight from and AI track.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

ChapStick wrote:
sumfan wrote:
Oh i'm not saying they copy green day (Sums are much more talented) what i mean was Green Day used to do good solos but the ones on American Idiot sucked, so i don't think it's a good thing that solos from songs like UH sounds like they're straight from and AI track.
YEah i totally agree.
I mean, i dont really call 'em solos but as for solos, they are really a strumming instrumental and faster version of the song's riff's main chords. that's it.
It's nothing special, nor sounds really cool ,and technically its same chords the riff is based on, like in Underclass Hero.

for me, its not like it sounds like Green Day, its just the style of this riff-based chords solo, sounds like Green day solos from American Idiot.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, though some "solos" on Underclass Hero are more legit than some "solos" from previous albums. Songs like Over My Head, Some Say, Thanks for Nothing... Well, none of them could be classified as solos, I'm just saying there's ones on Underclass Hero that are better than ones from before.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Well i don't agree with that.

I agree that Thanks for Nothing and Over My Head for example dont have a real solo and following the same American Idiot and Underclass Hero pattern (or do AI and UH follow that pattern) in which the solo is a basic instrumental version of the song's riff's main chord progression, but yet, i think those "solos" in UH are the weakest by Sum 41, and i think even those that werent a real solos in DTLI or AKNF still were better.

Even Handle This has a real very cool solo and they were just getting started back then :P
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, listening to all those songs makes me feel nostalgic.

Does anyone know for sure which solos Dave did not write? Therefore, solos that Deryck wrote?

I know he played In Too Deep's solo on the recording of All Killer and I heard that he wrote The Hell Song's solo... But that's all I know.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

From what i know, Deryck wrote the most of the solos, excluding The Bitter End, for sure, and another one which i forgot what i was, that i read that Dave wrote (its not surprise, the Bitter End one is crazy and complex).

Yeah, i also heard Deryck did In Too Deep's solo on the record? Which shows that Deryck could do real solos (its tapping!), and everyone underestimate his guitar skills.

Anyone knows what other solos Deryck actually recorded?
i know he wrote most of them but like, never playing them, but since he wrote them i'm pretty sure he can, just not really crazy real solo material like Bitter End or Handle THis.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal

Post by fergal41 »

Handle This isn't "crazy solo" material. Pull The Curtain from Underclass Hero is as complex as that and sounds just as good aswell. Deryck wrote The Hell Song Solo and Dave wrote the Inn Too deep solo but Deryck played it in the studio.

Dave wrote most of Sum 41's solos while he was in the band. Songs like No Brains, Hooch,The Pain For Pleasure songs etc. I'm also pretty sure he wrote the Handle This solo because he plays it in the video and it sounds more like Dave than Deryck.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah i guess so. and HANDLE THIS isn't a crazy solo, that's right but it just fits more Dave's style, and his style is mostly more crazy (Bitter End) but i guess this is his quietest and slowest solo, although still cool.
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

I'm pretty sure Deryck wrote the In Too Deep solo.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah also, like, In Too Deep is one of the only solos Deryck plays, so it's makes more sense that he wrote it.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Phili wrote:I'm pretty sure Deryck wrote the In Too Deep solo.
I'm not sure if it was at Q&A or somewhere else, but I'm sure that Deryck has said that he wrote AND played In Too Deep on the album.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

If he plays it, like i said, it most be pretty obvious he wrote it, cuz it's like the only one he plays on the album, plus he wrote most the solos so it makes sense that the one he plays is one of those he wrote.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

you say tat there are NO solos in UH,

what about Pull the Curtain?
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."