Which begginers guitar?

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
Max Headroom

Which begginers guitar?

Post by Max Headroom »

I want to learn to play the guitar, I really like the look of this one:-

http://www.guitar.co.uk/packages/20-epi ... rst?page=2

but is it the right choice? I would like to play stuff that sounds like SUM41, Billy Talent, The Living End etc. Is this one the right way to go? or does it really not matter at this stage?

thanks for your help

Paul
Claudia
Billy Spleen
n00b: bunny
Instrument 1: guitar

Re: Which begginers guitar?

Post by Claudia »

edit:double post.
Last edited by Claudia on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amys n00b and Philis grandn00b
Claudia
Billy Spleen

Post by Claudia »

I have that one, it's got a great sound.
It's not the best to play billy talent with imo,but for the rest it should be fine.
Problem is it's really heavy.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

I have an Epihpne Les Paul Studio which except for the color looks kinda the same so i think its the same guitar, so its a great guitar, I play everything on it, From Sum 41 and Billy Talent to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. and its great.

maybe the reason Billy Talent doesn't sounds good on it cuz you haven't tuned it to Drop D. 99% of Billy Talent's songs are on Drop D tuning.
BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Post by BrandonCorey »

My friend has that guitar, I don't really like the sound of it but its acturally pretty good for a begginer guitar.
LTS
Underclass Zero

Post by LTS »

i use a generic version of a fender strat... it's good. i got it for free from my friend :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i wish i had money so i could buy a bass
One of a Kind of Something
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

My philosophy is that, if you like the guitar, then it's the right choice. You can always alter your sound using pedals and different amps. Humbuckers are probably best if you like punk and metal. If you want to sound like Billy Talent you might want to get a Strat or something with single coils, I don't really know.

But when it all comes down to it, you won't get an exact sound since most artists produce their sound with custom instruments and amps.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Gunner wrote:My philosophy is that, if you like the guitar, then it's the right choice. You can always alter your sound using pedals and different amps. Humbuckers are probably best if you like punk and metal. If you want to sound like Billy Talent you might want to get a Strat or something with single coils, I don't really know.

But when it all comes down to it, you won't get an exact sound since most artists produce their sound with custom instruments and amps.
Yeah thats true, so that means also that you dont necessarily need the guitar that the guitarist is using to get a sound like his. Which means you don't necessarily need a Strat to get Billy Talent's sound.
What you need is basically a custom but my friend has a custom Telecaster and sometimes it sounds just like Billy Talent (but unfortunately, he doesn't likes Punk), another friend of mine has Vintage Fender Strat which also sounds great with Billy Talent songs, so who knows. Their guitars were more expensive than mine, so ... you get it, it doesn't really sounds great on my guitar :lol:
wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Post by wiggs1441 »

i have that guitar. didnt get it with the whole package. i got it in black and brownish. its a really good guitar. i have that and a Gibson 61' but i always play my epiphone over my gibson
tomhoppus is my Master!
NoReason27 is my Grand-master!
BrandonCorey is my N00B!
Sum-42 is my Grand N00B!

Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

i have it in ebony (but like wiggs i dint buy the whole package.

its really great and has great sound for a beginner. if i was to recommend the best possible guitar to a beginner id choose this one. the main problem i get with it is that the pieces are not really much in quality so something falls apart every couple of months (ive had it for two years) but it should last in a good condition for at least a year and a half if you take good care of it.

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
Claudia
Billy Spleen

Post by Claudia »

Hentaiman wrote: maybe the reason Billy Talent doesn't sounds good on it cuz you haven't tuned it to Drop D. 99% of Billy Talent's songs are on Drop D tuning.
nah it's got nothign to do with the tuining...it's just the guitar itself. I find it easier to play them on my strat/tele. But maybe that's just because I'm dumb like that.