Sum's Guitar Tones

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

Blastero wrote:Even when they were doing more pop-punk oriented stuff, their tones always had kind of a metal edge to them before UH. AKNF had a very crunchy dark sound to it, even though it's commonly regarded as being one of Sum 41's poppier albums.

Now with UH, though, it seems Deryck kind of abandoned that dark crunchy tone that defined their early sound for more of a generic blink-182 esque tone. It's MUCH brighter than their early stuff, and doesn't have quite the crunch it used to.

It very well may have something to do with Dave leaving. Listening to Brown Brigade's album, you can kind of hear some of those old Sum 41 tones that got lost on UH.
You make me happy. I just thought you should know.

GutRock Concert Series - The concert series that raises funds and donates 100% of profits to Inflammatory Bowel Disease research.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
Our under construction, soon to be website
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

Thanks. :D
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

well i believe the tones from DTLI and Chuck kinda relied on dave's work. i say that because dave used powerfull equipment with thick sound...and with UH derycks gold les paul with nothing special to it gives a very weak tone.

he needs to use a guitar with those JB pickups and thick sounding tube amps IMO.
poups41
Bunkface

Post by poups41 »

Blastero wrote:
Gunner wrote:Best ones are on Infected and Chuck! I really like the tone in the Over My Head riff.
Whatever they were doing with their guitars and amps on DTLI was amazing, because they've never reproduced that sort of juicy crunchy sound they had on that album for anything else they've done.
yea I try and follow the song books as closely as possible to the way deryck writes, but when i play over my head the way it was actually written it sounds way to high-pitched and not as 'raunchy' just cause of my guitar. I just really want to pick up derycks tele but i gotta pay for school... friggin education....
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

kevin5064 wrote:he needs to use a guitar with those JB pickups and thick sounding tube amps IMO.
I think Deryck is using the JB Humbucker. Or do you mean use it on the CD?
poups41 wrote:
Blastero wrote:
Gunner wrote:Best ones are on Infected and Chuck! I really like the tone in the Over My Head riff.
Whatever they were doing with their guitars and amps on DTLI was amazing, because they've never reproduced that sort of juicy crunchy sound they had on that album for anything else they've done.
yea I try and follow the song books as closely as possible to the way deryck writes, but when i play over my head the way it was actually written it sounds way to high-pitched and not as 'raunchy' just cause of my guitar. I just really want to pick up derycks tele but i gotta pay for school... friggin education....
If you get Deryck's guitar, change the pickup to a good one (Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Humbucker).
poups41
Bunkface

Post by poups41 »

Gunner I've only had the one guitar and been playing for about a year and a half. I can play most Sum songs (minus a few solos) but i'm a pretty big noob when it comes to guitar knowledge. Say I ordered the guitar, do they ask what type of pickup I want?
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

poups41 wrote:Gunner I've only had the one guitar and been playing for about a year and a half. I can play most Sum songs (minus a few solos) but i'm a pretty big noob when it comes to guitar knowledge. Say I ordered the guitar, do they ask what type of pickup I want?
No, if you order the guitar you'll just get the guitar with the pickup that comes with it. You'll have to order the JB Humbucker seperately.

If you order the pickup too, then you can take the guitar and the pickup to the nearest guitar place and have them change the pickups for you.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

Gunner wrote:
poups41 wrote:Gunner I've only had the one guitar and been playing for about a year and a half. I can play most Sum songs (minus a few solos) but i'm a pretty big noob when it comes to guitar knowledge. Say I ordered the guitar, do they ask what type of pickup I want?
No, if you order the guitar you'll just get the guitar with the pickup that comes with it. You'll have to order the JB Humbucker seperately.

If you order the pickup too, then you can take the guitar and the pickup to the nearest guitar place and have them change the pickups for you.
yeah thats exactly what i did....anyone with a brain would already know that it needs to be done.

and to the guy a few posts up, yeah deryck uses the JB live, but not on cd. on cd he claims he just uses that gold les paul with no modifications
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

I know Deryck said that there's a vintage Les Paul that he's used on every record so far, but I don't think that one is his Goldtop, since he alledgedly doesn't bring his really pricey vintage guitars on tour.

Deryck definitely used a Les Paul Jr. on a bunch of UH songs. Not just because you can see him in the studio using one, but just the tones on some of those songs on UH are almost impossible to get on a humbucker. Like March of the Dogs. That's definitely a Jr. tone.

I think though, that if you're just taking the guitar you think Dave or Deryck used in the studio, you'll have a hard time replicating their tone, because actually, if you take the entire collection of guitars they had at their disposal during the various recording processes, meaning the entire collections of both Dave and Deryck and possibly also Greig Nori, you're probably dealing with around 100+ different guitars. (probably mostly Deryck's)
Brownmetal
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeffrey

Post by Brownmetal »

Blastero wrote:I know Deryck said that there's a vintage Les Paul that he's used on every record so far, but I don't think that one is his Goldtop, since he alledgedly doesn't bring his really pricey vintage guitars on tour.

Deryck definitely used a Les Paul Jr. on a bunch of UH songs. Not just because you can see him in the studio using one, but just the tones on some of those songs on UH are almost impossible to get on a humbucker. Like March of the Dogs. That's definitely a Jr. tone.

I think though, that if you're just taking the guitar you think Dave or Deryck used in the studio, you'll have a hard time replicating their tone, because actually, if you take the entire collection of guitars they had at their disposal during the various recording processes, meaning the entire collections of both Dave and Deryck and possibly also Greig Nori, you're probably dealing with around 100+ different guitars. (probably mostly Deryck's)
Yeah, Dave didn't have a lot, probably like 20, and the rest are Deryck's.
goonday41

Post by goonday41 »

Blastero wrote:I know Deryck said that there's a vintage Les Paul that he's used on every record so far, but I don't think that one is his Goldtop, since he alledgedly doesn't bring his really pricey vintage guitars on tour.

im pretty sure the "vintage les paul" he uses is actually a les paul '59 reissue. its a '98 or '99 cant remember. you can see it in the video where he talks about recording some songs for avril's album
twistednightmare

Re: Sum's Guitar Tones

Post by twistednightmare »

I don't really like any of the guitar . Deryck's guitar has seems to have crappy distortion, Daves guitar seemed much stronger and thicker, than Derycks. I whish for god sake as well he would get some better effects on his guitar than having crappy distortion and a thicker clean sound.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

twistednightmare wrote:I don't really like any of the guitar . Deryck's guitar has seems to have crappy distortion, Daves guitar seemed much stronger and thicker, than Derycks. I whish for god sake as well he would get some better effects on his guitar than having crappy distortion and a thicker clean sound.
You're talking about their tone live right? If so, I agree with Deryck's current tone being shitty. At least from what I've seen on YouTube videos and whatnot. It's weak.
twistednightmare

I especially hate his guitar tone on Underclass Hero, it's so pathetic that he can't get a proper effects pedel set up and different set up on his amp.
HilgaMan
Chuck
First name: Ilkka
AKA: TheSexyHilgaMonster
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by HilgaMan »

I agree that the tone in UH is weak, but I still don't like it to be called pathetic. I mean, it can be worse can it? And I'm sure that this is the tone Deryck liked to have in UH coz otherwise he would have used some kind of different tone.
Hentaimans N00B! Mess with me and before you know it, you end up in a coffin. Jealous?
Sumfan is my n00b.
hem is my grand-n00b.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

HilgaMan wrote:I agree that the tone in UH is weak, but I still don't like it to be called pathetic. I mean, it can be worse can it? And I'm sure that this is the tone Deryck liked to have in UH coz otherwise he would have used some kind of different tone.
It could be worse, yes. But I think this is the worst tone for Sum 41 in regards to edginess and attitude, two things Sum 41 is good at.

I know that is the tone Deryck wanted for Underclass Hero and that's what disappoints me the most.
twistednightmare

Can someone tell me why Deryck has such bad hearing for guitar tones, and why he doesn't both to use any effects pedels?
Lastly this is kinda off on this thread but I think the drum sounds on Underclass hero sound terrible, and quite fake to be honest like a drum sample from a hip hop album.
HilgaMan
Chuck
First name: Ilkka
AKA: TheSexyHilgaMonster
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by HilgaMan »

twistednightmare wrote:Can someone tell me why Deryck has such bad hearing for guitar tones, and why he doesn't both to use any effects pedels?
Lastly this is kinda off on this thread but I think the drum sounds on Underclass hero sound terrible, and quite fake to be honest like a drum sample from a hip hop album.
I think drumming in UH is good.
Hentaimans N00B! Mess with me and before you know it, you end up in a coffin. Jealous?
Sumfan is my n00b.
hem is my grand-n00b.
Bass Cone
Underclass Hero
First name: Brittany
Instrument 1: French Horn
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Bass Cone »

I really, really like the tone on HHOP. Those tones with that kind of music is just great. HHOP is probably my favorite album of all time.
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

twistednightmare wrote:Can someone tell me why Deryck has such bad hearing for guitar tones, and why he doesn't both to use any effects pedels?
I don't agree that he has a bad ear for tone. It would seem that he's pretty good at getting the tones he wants when he wants. It's more that the tones he wants just so happen to be tones that many of us here find to be inferior to tones the band has had on previous recordings.

And as far as the effects pedals thing goes, it's all up to the writing. He doesn't use effects pedals very often because he doesn't feel they'd be appropriate for the songs. However, he did use an effect pedal on that one lead part in the Jester.

As far as distortion pedals go, yeah, he doesn't use distortion pedals. There are many people, Deryck seeming to be one of them, who much prefer a regular old distorted sound from the amp to any kind of distortion pedals. It's all up to personal taste.