Sum's Guitar Tones

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Blastero

Sum's Guitar Tones

Post by Blastero »

Sum 41's choice in guitar tones is something I think is a bit overlooked.

I personally believe that tone is what gives each album a huge portion of its overall feel and attitude. It's probably most of the reason why people compare Underclass Hero to blink, as Deryck's tones on UH were MUCH closer to blink's tones than any of their previous albums.

So yeah. Any other thoughts on Sum 41's guitar tones?
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

yeah thats true..
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

Um, sure...
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Best ones are on Infected and Chuck! I really like the tone in the Over My Head riff.
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

I agree 100%, sum 41's guitar tone is actually one of the things I like most about them
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

Gunner wrote:Best ones are on Infected and Chuck! I really like the tone in the Over My Head riff.
+1

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

Gunner wrote:Best ones are on Infected and Chuck! I really like the tone in the Over My Head riff.
Whatever they were doing with their guitars and amps on DTLI was amazing, because they've never reproduced that sort of juicy crunchy sound they had on that album for anything else they've done.
Rick
Jessica Kill

Post by Rick »

sum 41 and their tones are unlike alot of bands. deryck spends so much time trying to get the right sound and tone for every little part, thats a really strong quality about sum. its cool i'm not the only one who picked up on it.
http://searchwithsum41.prodege.com/?cmd ... &rb=143979
go there and sign up and win cool shit.
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

[quote="Rick"]sum 41 and their tones are unlike alot of bands. deryck spends so much time trying to get the right sound and tone for every little part, thats a really strong quality about sum. its cool i'm not the only one who picked up on it.[/quote]

and it sure is worth it.

by the way, sort of off subject, but one of the things I DON'T like about relient k, is the guitar tones, at least the first 3 CD's. where sum 41 are great.
goonday41

Post by goonday41 »

i love their tone. but i love their live tone more...when they had dave. the intro to the hell song on the MSN video is my ideal tone. and when they play bullet in the head on that same concert.
i like the DTLI tone but every single tone on the entire CD sound the same. chuck has great tone
jsd2
Bunkface

Post by jsd2 »

I hope they revisit some of those great tones on their next album.
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

jsd2 wrote:I hope they revisit some of those great tones on their next album.
yeah, and maybe have some drop D songs too.
some of their best songs are in drop d
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

I really know shit all about things like "guitar tone"...but now that you mention it - I do know what you're talking about.

I've always felt that there was something about their guitar, and their songs, that was always instantly recognizable as them. Now I know the word to put on it - so thank you!

Unfortunately, however, I feel like they've lost that tone on UH (don't fight me, it's my opinion). When I first put on March of the Dogs on their myspace, before the vocals...I had to double look to make sure I had clicked on Sum 41's myspace and not Blink 182's...

GutRock Concert Series - The concert series that raises funds and donates 100% of profits to Inflammatory Bowel Disease research.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
Our under construction, soon to be website
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

I think that tone's still there but it's not nearly as strong.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah i agree, its there definitely on such songs such as The Jester, but its not as great as it was on Chuck and DTLI.

Plus, yeah, their Drop D songs are great.
Brownmetal
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeffrey

Post by Brownmetal »

The tone on UH sounds like crap. :P

Chuck and DTLI had the best tones.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

The only song on Underclass Hero that had a tone that I thought was pretty decent was King of Contradiction. I love how it's so clear but still sounds angry. You can hear it the best during the second verse.
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

Even when they were doing more pop-punk oriented stuff, their tones always had kind of a metal edge to them before UH. AKNF had a very crunchy dark sound to it, even though it's commonly regarded as being one of Sum 41's poppier albums.

Now with UH, though, it seems Deryck kind of abandoned that dark crunchy tone that defined their early sound for more of a generic blink-182 esque tone. It's MUCH brighter than their early stuff, and doesn't have quite the crunch it used to.

It very well may have something to do with Dave leaving. Listening to Brown Brigade's album, you can kind of hear some of those old Sum 41 tones that got lost on UH.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, i think the easy explanation is that Dave was the one giving that awesome heavy metal sound and now that he's gone... we all know what happened.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, the tones in Underclass Hero are pretty weak. I know that that's the sound Deryck was probably going for... but it's still weak. All Killer had heavier tones than Underclass Hero.

Anyone else feel the difference in atmosphere when they start a live show with Carmina Burana, a powerful opera-like song, then follow it up with Underclass Hero? It doesn't seem to carry the momentum good enough like The Hell Song would.