How Rock Groups Got Their Names

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

How Rock Groups Got Their Names

Post by Dylan »

transcribed straight from "Uncle John's Electrifying Bathroom Reader For Kids Only!":
---------------------------------------------------------------

Good Charlotte named themselves after a children's book about a little girl named Charlotte who is bullied all the time. But her nanny loves her alot and calls her "good Charlotte." (The band can't stand the book"

Puddle of Mudd got their name after the Missouri River flodded their practice space and turned the floor into a big "puddle of mud"

Matchbox 20 came up with their name when drummer Paul Doucette was a waiter in a dinner. One day he saw a customer wearing a #20 softball shirt. It was covered with patches, and the only word he could read was "Matchbox"

Foo Fighters Fouder Dave Grohl has always been facinated with UFOs. He name his band after the mysterious fireballs seen by American piolets in WWII. He also named the bands label, Roswell, in honour of Roswell, New Mexico, the site of the famous UFO "crash" in 1947.

No Doubt When the band formed in 1986, they wanted to call themselves Apple Core. But they also liked the phrase that their original lead singer, John Spence, would always say: "No doubt." Sadly, Spece died in 1987. When 18-year-old Gwen Stefani took over as lead singer, the band took the name No Doubt as a tribute to him.

Sugar Ray They first called themselves the Tories, then the Shrinky Dinx, after the toy made by hasbro. But hasbro didn't like the idea of the group useing their product name and threatend to sue them. So the group decided to change their name to Sugar Ray, in honur of the band's favourite boxer, Sugar Ray Lenord.

Moby was born Richard Melville Hall. His great-great-grand uncle was Herman Melville, who wrote Moby Dick. He honourd his famous ancestor by calling himself Moby.

Sixpence None the Richer named themselves after a passage from C.S. Lewis's book Mere Christianity.

---------------------------------------------
most of you will find this one intersting
---------------------------------------------
Blink 182 was originally just called "Blink." The band was forced to change their name when an Irish techno band -also called Blink- threatened to sue them. Although there are countless rumours of what the "182" stands for, ranging from the number of times certain words are said in movies, to numbers that relate to where they live, the truth is it's really just a number they chose at random and thought sounded good.

----------------------------------------------------------

and off the top of my head i can give you the meanings behind Nickelback and Linkin Park's name.

Nickelback one of the band members used to work ina resaurant where the price of everything always was 5 cents short of a whole dollar. when he came back with change, he would allways say "Here's your nickel back."

Linkin Park used to be called "Xero" and then called "Hybrid Theory" [for which they would called their fist CD and EP] they are now named after Lincoln Park in Santa Monica, California.

-------------------------------------------------------------

there, hope you enjoyed that. [i know i didn't really care for typing it up, it took me over a fricking half hour!]
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Janet
Pedo

Post by Janet »

Interesting. I didn't know . . well, none of them actually. I should get that book too.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

there are also other Uncle Jonh books, they are all good. best misc. books around!

Follow me on Twitter!
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

Uncle John's Bathroom Readers are the most badass books ever.

There were more past names for Sugar Ray, though, that aren't listed ;)

GutRock Concert Series - The concert series that raises funds and donates 100% of profits to Inflammatory Bowel Disease research.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
Our under construction, soon to be website
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

the one for nickelback is lame..
tomhoppus
Transvestite God
First name: Ladd Mitchell
Instrument 1: My shite guitar
Instrument 2: My aight guitar

Post by tomhoppus »

thats cuz they suck : P
ConeBizzy32 wrote:
Something Corporate wrote: I still cant get into the PD media sec
Working on your request makes me a PD? I can't believe how small a man can be.
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

Nice. i didnt know a lot of those

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

tomhoppus wrote:thats cuz they suck : P
true
BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Post by BrandonCorey »

budgie wrote:
true
Nickelback do NOT suck.....you may not like their style of music or the guys voice or something but they are a very good band and do not suck
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

They aren't very original in their song ideas anymore...but obviously they are doing something right, and have some talent there - otherwise there wouldn't be so many copycat bands, and they wouldn't be so wildly popular.

GutRock Concert Series - The concert series that raises funds and donates 100% of profits to Inflammatory Bowel Disease research.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
tomhoppus
Transvestite God
First name: Ladd Mitchell
Instrument 1: My shite guitar
Instrument 2: My aight guitar

Post by tomhoppus »

well, they have a few good songs

if there the ones im thinking of
ConeBizzy32 wrote:
Something Corporate wrote: I still cant get into the PD media sec
Working on your request makes me a PD? I can't believe how small a man can be.
Brownmetal
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeffrey

Post by Brownmetal »

Megadeath is unit of measurement from a nuclear explosion, 1 megadeath equals 1 million deaths lol....and Megadeth adapted the word and took off the "a" from death.
Spencer
Hooch

Post by Spencer »

thats pretty kool about nickleback because i would always make jokes about that
" I pledge the allegiance to the underclass as your hero at large "
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

BrandonCorey wrote:
budgie wrote:
true
Nickelback do NOT suck.....you may not like their style of music or the guys voice or something but they are a very good band and do not suck
No... they suck.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Bass Cone
Underclass Hero
First name: Brittany
Instrument 1: French Horn
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Bass Cone »

Phili wrote:
BrandonCorey wrote:
budgie wrote:
true
No... they suck.
Yeah, agreed.
AVA182b
Bunkface

Post by AVA182b »

Those are pretty cool. i didn't know any of them except Blink
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

Iron Maiden were stuck for ideas of what to call themselves, so after Steve Harris saw the film The Man In An Iron Mask, they decided to base the name around that, and in the end decided to name themselves after a 17th century torture device, Iron Maiden.

an Iron Maiden (the torture device) is an iron cabinet were a person would be lock inside and spikes, knives and other sharp objects would be used to torture and kill the person
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

bobbyjames wrote:Iron Maiden were stuck for ideas of what to call themselves, so after Steve Harris saw the film The Man In An Iron Mask, they decided to base the name around that, and in the end decided to name themselves after a 17th century torture device, Iron Maiden.

an Iron Maiden (the torture device) is an iron cabinet were a person would be lock inside and spikes, knives and other sharp objects would be used to torture and kill the person
huhuh that was a question in a table quiz
i remembered it cause ive seen Bill and Ted 8)
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

Phili wrote:
BrandonCorey wrote:
budgie wrote:
true
No... they suck.
i own nickelback two newest CDs. i will admit that a lot of their songs sound alike, but they have some really good songs. All The Right Reasons was their best CD (in terms of charts and popularity) so i am interested to hear what they will do next.

I watched this born to be thing about nickelback and what Chad said was very wise. he said "You may say that nickelback sucks, but you can't say that. you can say that you don't like nickelback for whatever reasons, but if you look at how many people bought the CDs, came to the concerts, voted for us, over a million people disagree with you."

that is true, but when you apply it to P(!)ATD, then it doesn't matter, cause they really do suck. :lol:

also, they aren't going into the studio in the near future. they are taking a hiatus to relax. so that means Sum 41 has a chance at the Junos this year! :o

Follow me on Twitter!
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

NoReason27 wrote: "You may say that nickelback sucks, but you can't say that. you can say that you don't like nickelback for whatever reasons, but if you look at how many people bought the CDs, came to the concerts, voted for us, over a million people disagree with you."
Asho_DirtyPoo wrote:They aren't very original in their song ideas anymore...but obviously they are doing something right, and have some talent there - otherwise there wouldn't be so many copycat bands, and they wouldn't be so wildly popular.
I see Chad and I are in agreement. Who woulda ever though Chad Kroeger and I would be in agreement...I'm so, so not fond of his band haha

He's right, though. 100%, painfully right. So few people realize, though, that their own personal music tastes aren't the only opinion in the world, and are therefore not right. Opinions are opinions, there is no right and wrong when it comes to personal preference.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.