New album thread: Summer 2019?

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

New album thread: Summer 2019?

Post by TomiT14 »

So, I guess it's time to start talking about the upcoming 8th Sum 41 album. In a recent interview with Rolling Stone Japan, Deryck said they are near the end of the writing process, and the album could come out as early as this Summer!

The band has been surprisingly quiet about the progress of this album. All the previous albums had several studio updates or snippets posted online, whereas this time there hasn't been any updates. That being said, Blake the video guy has a new studio update ready for release, so I guess we're really close on getting new information about the process! :silly:

Click to view the fullsize image.https://images.rollingstonejapan.com/ar ... d8d75d.jpg[/imgwidth]
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

I haven't logged in in 10 months, haha. Some nice news to wake up to. I hope they kind of keep us in the dark with this album and just release it with maybe one single. I kind of spoiled my 13 Voices experience by listening to the three tracks that were put out at the time. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the shortest amount of time it took them to release an album since Underclass Hero, so for me it feels like 13 Voices just came out yesterday, haha.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: New album thread: Summer 2019?

Post by Iam The Ghost »

A summer release sounds very early, I expected a late autumn or end of the year. Ofc, I won't complain if it actually come at summer. :devious: They'll come back to Hungary in June, I'd be delighted for a new single until then.
TomiT14

Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I haven't logged in in 10 months, haha. Some nice news to wake up to. I hope they kind of keep us in the dark with this album and just release it with maybe one single. I kind of spoiled my 13 Voices experience by listening to the three tracks that were put out at the time. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the shortest amount of time it took them to release an album since Underclass Hero, so for me it feels like 13 Voices just came out yesterday, haha.
Couldn't agree more. Even though those three snippets were just small parts, it felt like they revealed a bit too much about the vibe of the album. I'd rather have it as a complete surprise. :silly:

Then again, it's cool to see how those songs have evolved from the demo phase. The best for me would be to release those snippets after the album is out, but of course that would be kinda silly. :silly:

Yeah, it's been less than three years since 13 Voices. The album still feels somewhat fresh to me, so having a new album already feels odd. :glad: Not complaining though!

But if you think it through, while it took 4 years to make SBM, the album was finished already in June 2010, but the label delayed it. And for 13 Voices, while SBM came out in 2011, they toured the album until 2013. Then considering Deryck's health problems, having a new album out 2 years after the collapse is kinda impressive. :happy:
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

I really love getting some tiny bits and pieces of inside information from the "making of" process of an album. One of the most enjoyable parts of following them these past years have been fun updates and getting inside of derycks mind sometimes. I wish they do this even more with the upcoming studio updates!

I don't mind hearing a couple of seconds of a demo-ish done song, but prefer not to hear something that is >90% complete that's gonna be on the album that can reveal the vibe too much

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

Any chance someone can translate that article into English or tell me how to?
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Re:

Post by HugoDisasters »

sprinks41 wrote:Any chance someone can translate that article into English or tell me how to?
https://rollingstonejapan.com/articles/detail/29873/2/1/1 wrote: 【Exclusive coverage】 Connection with Japan talked by Derrick of SUM 41 and DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL

Click to view the fullsize image.https://images.rollingstonejapan.com/ar ... 92a2c2.jpg[/imgwidth]
The rock festival "DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL" from the UK landed in Japan for the first time. It is DOWNLOAD JAPAN 2019 which will be held in Makuhari Messe on March 21. SUM 41 is a band with a pop / punk background in the same festival where many hard rock / heavy metal festivities appeared . They are popular in Japan, who have been running through life-size activities. Frontman Derrick Wivly responded to the interview in the US in Los Angeles.

SUM 41 's vocal guitar, Derrick Wivley showed up in the interview room without sound. It was so natural that we got ready to prepare for the interview. He looked very quiet and seems to be naive, but he answered quietly with this question firmly.

SUM 41 plays in DOWNLOAD JAPAN 2019 for the first time in a year and a half since SUMMER SONIC 2017. In this interview, I talked about their recent status that they are in the process of making new works, the connection between SUM 41 and Japan, and DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL.

- Please let us know about the current status of SUM 41, which is active actively after restarting activities in 2015.

Right now I'm just making a new album in the studio. I am still coming here from the studio and I will return to the studio when the interview is over. I do not know the timing of the release yet, but I think I can put out it by about the summer. I think work will end soon.

-How's your health?

I feel a little cold but it's healthy.

- I think Japanese fans are worried.

Oh, my mum is also worried (lol).

- Haha! How was your 15th anniversary tour of the album "Does This Look Infected" held in 2018?

It was very good. Actually, this was a surprise-like event, but we were not very conscious of themselves as "15th anniversary of" Does This Look Infected ". However, the fans started talking about it, they were supposed to go on tour with everyone's boost. However, as we have already decided to produce the next album, we did not do a world tour but only a North American tour.

- Please tell me about the work "Does This Look Infected" again.

I do not know. But, there are some good songs and I think it's a good album. Prior to the production of this work, the tour was booked but there was no album, the studio was holding down but there was no song, all the preparations were in place except for making a song. So, I wrote songs in a couple of weeks after I got home from the tour, recorded in a few weeks, went out for a tour, and I felt that the album was released in the meantime. Every flow was quick.

- It was a work that was made in the midst of busy days.

The album I am making now is making it directly to the studio as soon as the 15th anniversary tour of "Does This Look Infected" finishes. I feel like I'm making it in a short time again this time (laugh). I do not know if it is a good thing or a bad thing, but sometimes songs can be done in a short period of time, sometimes it can take quite a while. I do not know the reason, though.

- Do you make songs from melody? Or from a guitar?

It's from the guitar. Like I was on stage I made the volume of the guitar so terrible and I made songs with images that I really are on stage, including movement. Then put a temporary drum, stack the trucks, and you can melody by singing with oke made like that.

- DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL will be held for the first time in Japan in March, but what is the relationship between SUM 41 and DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL?

I appeared in DOWNLOAD UK in 2004 and 2017. This festival is huge and the audience is also wonderful.

- What do you expect from DOWNLOAD JAPAN?

Japanese fans are always very excited and I think it will be fun. All the Japanese fans sing and they all concentrate on music. Not only some fans but all the audience in the venue. So I'm happy if it gets so excited at DOWNLOAD JAPAN, I can not find a reason not to do so.

- Japanese punk fans feel a strong connection with SUM 41, but how does Derrick feel about the country of Japan?

Japan is a country I like very much, when I first went to Tokyo I thought "I want to move here!" It's a place to spend such a good time. But the only place I dislike Japan is where there are so many rules. This also does not work, I do not like that. I do not know why, but there are things that I do not want? That is troublesome.

- What do you do when you have free time in Japan?

It's shopping. (There are only big size clothes in America, but because there are lots of my size clothes in Japan. Well, during the tour, I will travel around the country by train and there is only one day off, so I can not go shopping slowly, though.

- Immediately after the Great East Japan Earthquake, SUM 41 became the first Japanese band to perform in Sendai in the disaster area. What was the reason for visiting Sendai until the original schedule changed?

It is because people in the afflicted area thought that entertainment would be necessary. There was also a feeling that we wanted to cheer them up because I feel sorry for my heart. Although I did not go to areas with great damage, I felt it was a sad experience and tried to deliver the best possible live. I am happy if everyone who came at that time was pleased.

- I think that everyone was grateful. Please tell us about the collaboration with TAKA of ONE OK ROCK at "WAR" recorded in the latest work "13 Voices" at the present moment.

A few years ago I became friends with TAKA, and while I hung out several times I started playing music together and making songs, but none had finished it to the very end. So, when I was building another song in the studio, I thought "TAKA 's voice does not fit this song", TAKA says "Why do not you sing this?" Well, let's do it! "

- Did you do the recording together?

Since the song was already recording at my home studio, I sent the data to Taka and had my son recorded at his home studio.

-ONE OK ROCK is your favorite Japanese artist?

I was listening to Hi - STANDARD when I was a high school student.

- So, at the end, please tell me the album that you recommend to those who watch SUM 41 for the first time this time.

That's a difficult question. The sound is quite different by the work. But, in DOWNLOAD JAPAN, from the intention of playing from all the albums, it may be better to listen to "Best of SUM41" (laugh).
Google translated

Sju
First name: Zuzana

Post by Sju »

the new album is done, my dudes!
I would love to hear their amazing album "13 Reasons Why" :hehe:
sprinks41
Walking Disaster

Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

Sju wrote:I would love to hear their amazing album "13 Reasons Why" :hehe:
Pause it at 0:22 and try not to laugh at his face :hehe:
CALKing
First name: Cesar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by CALKing »

Omg poor Steve Seevers... I believe he just got out of an interview with Dylan Minnette (Clay), in which he asked when the third season of "13 Voices" is coming out XD
"I tried to be perfect, but nothing was worth it"
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

Damm, this summer?! That's crazy..

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster

Post by sprinks41 »

Stef wrote:Damm, this summer?! That's crazy..
Kinda brings new meaning to the word "soon"
sum41-freak
Billy Spleen
First name: Andy

Post by sum41-freak »

i like the way of this album process. no temporary updates, no snippets, no working titles and so far.
and now we have a finished album the will be out this summer. that`s great for me.
jordidanen95
Bunkface
First name: jordi
Instrument 2: piano

Post by jordidanen95 »

13 voices is 3 years ago
why doesn't it feel like 3 years tho
Just the album buzz and recording of Screaming Bloody Murder seemed like forever.

I'm getting older and time is playing tricks on me since a while. Its odd

(I should update that avatar pic and age, this site has been dying since SBM)
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Deryck answered my comment on his IG post.

Tomi wrote:Is it really true you’ve finished the recording process? If so, damn you guys were fast!
Deryck wrote:I guess I had a lot of ideas ready to go. I actually just came up with a few more. Doing a little more recording now.
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

If he had ideas ready to go maybe we will get those sound clips from previous albums that never turned into songs here.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

I'm very interested to hear how Tom AND Dave would be influencing the recording or songwriting process. SBM which is one of my favorite tracks were written a lot by Tom for example. Can't wait for those studio updates to hit (if there will be any?)

TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

This has nothing to do with the new album, but I didn't feel like creating a new thread for new album era interviews. :glad:
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Re:

Post by Andros »

HugoDisasters wrote:I'm very interested to hear how Tom AND Dave would be influencing the recording or songwriting process. SBM which is one of my favorite tracks were written a lot by Tom for example. Can't wait for those studio updates to hit (if there will be any?)
Sadly I guess we don't get any studio updates anymore, because on 13 voices those clips are gone, just we get a few, I love too see again studio updates like SBM era, but I think a lot of things are changed right now.
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

in the past a lot of things probably got spoiled through updates and such and they probably want everything to be a surprise so we have no idea what to expect when we first listen. I feel with SBM we kind of had an idea with the updates on the general sound of the album.