WAR

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
sim_hockey21

Re: WAR

Post by sim_hockey21 »

samueeL wrote:Love the song, great backing vocals especially.

One note:
Spotify version and YouTube version have different bridge, I think I like the youtube one more!

Also Deryck looks so good and healthy and he also looks a bit like DC Comics dude Constantine, haha.
Personally, I prefer the spotify/itunes version instead of the one in the music video. The backvocals at the end of the music video are too much for me. Anyway, I think that the itunes version will be the one on CDs & vinyls.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

The best part of the video (IMO) is when Deryck discovers the pile of stuff from his past (the guitar, the red striped shirt, the drawing, and the bottle of Jack Daniels) and burns it all. It's a metaphor of him saying "I don't need or want that life anymore. I'm moving on to bigger and better things." I also think the drawing represents Deryck & Avril or Deryck & Steve (or both).
Ashasx
Bunkface
First name: Jordan

Post by Ashasx »

The more I listen to the song, the more I appreciate it. It's really smooth throughout and easy to listen to, which maybe I wasn't expecting on this album.

I think it most reminds me of Some Say.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i.imgur.com/j66kxPc.png[/imgwidth]
The Jester
First name: Rick

Post by The Jester »

Anyone else think that girl driving the car at the start of the video looks a lot like Deryck's wife.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

We can download the song from PledgeMusic.
I don't know how the iTunes version sounds, but it seems to me it's the same as the YouTube version.
DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Post by DW_60 »

The radio and video version is slightly different than digital version,
because Deryck had a last minute idea and wanted to make the change.
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

I've waited a few days to post my view, but here you go:

I didn't like War at the first listen. It was nothing like I expected and I didn't like the vibe in the song. For some reason, it reminded me too much of Linkin Park and even the untitled album of Simple plan. The song was also kinda 'predictable', while I am more into the more complicated SBM-song structures.

On the other hand and a few listens later: Sum 41 did what they've always done. They added a new layer to their songs and even if I didn't like it at first: it still was an interesting listen. With Chuck, UH and SBM they kinda did the same: they always did something new, while staying loyal to their typical Sum 41-sound. And that is a very difficult thing to do.

It's starting to grow on me but it won't be my favourite song on 13 Voices, although I really like the deep lyrics and the background of the song.

Also, I think - despite being such an important song to Deryck - it's kind of an odd choice as a first single. Luckily enough, we already had Fake My Own Death, which might be a better reflection of the whole album.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

I love the song, it's beautiful and deep lyrics. Also the song reminds me to "Final Masquerade" of Linkin Park.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I read a comment on Facebook saying that War is the only slow song/ballad on the album, so the rest on 13 Voices should be good with fast parts and cool riffs. Although that's not to say some songs might have slow parts (i.e., Skumfuk or Reason to Believe).

War is a good radio song (in comparison to past singles), even back in the days of Chuck they used Pieces and Some Say as singles because most of the songs on Chuck weren't deemed radio-friendly/single material by the band's label.
Ashasx
Bunkface
First name: Jordan

Post by Ashasx »

I think I like it more than any slower song on SBM, so it bodes well for the rest of the album.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i.imgur.com/j66kxPc.png[/imgwidth]
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

I don't like the song, dunno, it feels kinda weak to me. Fake my own death should have been the first single.
bizzyd676
First name: Tone

Post by bizzyd676 »

Too me its a dope song and catchy as hell. Upon first listen, the only thing I thought was missing was a blistering solo at the second half of the bridge, they played it really safe with the riff they were playing, which is good for radio I guess...

All in all dope though, I am excited for the different textures and moods that this album will provide.

BTW: I like the video version better with the background vocals... After hearing it first, the Spotify one feels empty at that part
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

I listened to it twice (when it first came out and now today) and in my opinion it's a pretty solid track. It's easy to listen to and I guess this makes it a good choice for as a single.

However, when I analyse music I focus more on the sound and the arrangement rather than the lyrics (I'm more the instrumentalist than the vocalist) and with this in my mind the song seems a bit plain to me. It starts off farely well but there isn't really a progress through out it, I'm missing some sort of climax, especially in the chorus and the bridge.

Nevertheless a decent song that will fit the album perfectly as I hope, and real rock fans know the best tracks on an album are never the singles :winkwink:
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

I was a bit surprised that they chose a slow song as the first single. Since War is probably the only slow song on the album, it would've made sense to pick a song that represents the album the most. Then again they already released Fake My Own Death, so.

That being said, I simply LOVE this song. Honestly, I've never been this excited about a slow song before. While it may not represent the album with its style, lyrically it's the best choice. After all this album is about Deryck's struggles, and this song is all about that. And it's catchy as hell (got stuck in my head and I memorized the chorus right after the first listen), and it feels like a perfect fit to today's radio playlists. Some of my friends who don't listen to rock at all are loving the song as well.

I really feel that with proper marketing plan and promotion, this song has potential to do the same that Wake Me Up When September Ends did for Green Day.
Mike
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Mike »

Today I heard War on the radio and the backing vocals during the bridge had me confused. I went back and listened to the iTunes version and it doesn't have the backing vocals during the bridge. I wish it did, I thought it add more substance to it.
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

1 week on and 1million viewers!

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Re:

Post by Queso Man »

Mike wrote:Today I heard War on the radio and the backing vocals during the bridge had me confused. I went back and listened to the iTunes version and it doesn't have the backing vocals during the bridge. I wish it did, I thought it add more substance to it.
Yeah, I saw the video first but then listened to the track all week. Going back and hearing the video really added an extra oomph. Now I can't hear the track in the same way, it feels frustratingly lacking.
C*mFuk
First name: Jacob
Differences in the album version of "War"

Post by C*mFuk »

Has anyone else noticed that the album version of "War" is different than the version used in the music video? Specifically, the album version of the song is missing the backing vocals (the Whoooah whoooahs) from right before the bridge to the end of the song.

I notice that these backing vocals are included in the Japanese version of "War", the one featuring Taka from One Ok Rock.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my copy?
The Jester
First name: Rick
Post by The Jester »

It's been discussed somewhere else already. Basically the idea for the backing vocals came later, at a point when it wasn't possible anymore to put them on the album, but they did manage to put them on the single.
C*mFuk
First name: Jacob
Re:

Post by C*mFuk »

The Jester wrote:It's been discussed somewhere else already. Basically the idea for the backing vocals came later, at a point when it wasn't possible anymore to put them on the album, but they did manage to put them on the single.
Aww man... :balling:

Is there some way to get the single in lossless quality?

iTunes/Amazon, perhaps, do you know?