Moderator: Jeremy Kill

pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano

TNS buzz of SBM vs 13 Voices

Post by pescidavid »

This is mostly just an observation, and heck maybe I'm crazy or subconsciously over glorifying the past in my mind (after all it was back in my college days), but it feels like when compared to the release of SBM the forums here both pre and post the release of 13 voices seemed a lot less alive.

Am I remembering wrong? It just seemed like there was so much more hype for that album, why? As far as things to be excited about, there was probably more to be excited about with this album especially since Dave was back, a loss that was greatly reflected in the albums that were released after his departure. Are many of us just getting old and jaded/less excitable? I just remember the forums being so much more on fire during that era. And even now after 13 voices is out I feel like the media was buzzing more than we were. Finally they seem to like and respect one of their albums! Anyways just curious what you guys think about this. Am I crazy?
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: TNS buzz of SBM vs 13 Voices

Post by TomiT14 »

You're right, and I think there are two main reasons for it.

1) We're getting old
2) Social media

Majority of the active Sum 41 fans are past their mid-20s. That might not sound too old, but that means people are pretty much finished with their studies and have a job taking away a big bunch of their time. There's less time to browse the forums, compared to times we did that during classes in school. There was also a long time of inactivity with Sum 41, so there was nothing to talk about, and it seems some people lost the interest almost completely and never found their way back for 13 Voices.

Also, the forum scene itself seems to have lost its glory. When TNS started, the social media was nothing like it's today. Now, if people want to express their feelings, they tend to do so in the comments section on FB/IG, rather than opening their browser to head to forums.

All this is unfortunate, but that's what it is. :confusion:
The Jester
First name: Rick

Post by The Jester »

I can understand that. I was 16 when SBM dropped and had only become a fan a few months earlier. I wasn't into forums at all back then and now I'm here.

Another thing that may have made a difference is all the studio updates with the partying creating a lot of hype as well.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, I agree with Tomi. I also want to add that we did a lot of exclusive stuff back in the day around the release of Screaming Bloody Murder, such as Q&A's with band members. We also had the first exclusive song downloads of both Skumfuk (thanks to Nic) and Screaming Bloody Murder (as a surprise from Matt). Of course, the Skumfuk track was missing the intro that appeared on the album, but I remember the forum was incredibly active during that time.

I'm sure TNS would've been just as busy had a similar things happened with Fake My Own Death or War.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

TomiT14 wrote:You're right, and I think there are two main reasons for it.

1) We're getting old
2) Social media

Majority of the active Sum 41 fans are past their mid-20s. That might not sound too old, but that means people are pretty much finished with their studies and have a job taking away a big bunch of their time. There's less time to browse the forums, compared to times we did that during classes in school. There was also a long time of inactivity with Sum 41, so there was nothing to talk about, and it seems some people lost the interest almost completely and never found their way back for 13 Voices.

Also, the forum scene itself seems to have lost its glory. When TNS started, the social media was nothing like it's today. Now, if people want to express their feelings, they tend to do so in the comments section on FB/IG, rather than opening their browser to head to forums.

All this is unfortunate, but that's what it is. :confusion:
Tomi has hit the nail on the head here. I think it is really cool that people from the Sum 41 boards from 9 or 10 years ago are still around on TNS.

The night SBM was released I was up pulling an all-nighter finishing off an essay for college chatting to you guys about the tracks. These days I get off to bed by 10 or 11 most nights as I have a son, along with the other half and my job to keep me busy. :ohshiz:

Most boards are graveyards these days. I hope the regulars never stop popping by TNS as long as the band are still active :happy:
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface
First name: Jacob
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Yeah, I agree with Tomi. I also want to add that we did a lot of exclusive stuff back in the day around the release of Screaming Bloody Murder, such as Q&A's with band members. We also had the first exclusive song downloads of both Skumfuk (thanks to Nic) and Screaming Bloody Murder (as a surprise from Matt). Of course, the Skumfuk track was missing the intro that appeared on the album, but I remember the forum was incredibly active during that time.

I'm sure TNS would've been just as busy had a similar things happened with Fake My Own Death or War.
I think the last Q&A's was in 2014 with Tom and Cone, maybe in the future these things will happen. Its true the forum is not as active as in other years (my current account is 2015 but I have registered in this forum since 2010 with other accounts even spoke in TNS spanish which I think it was closed in 2013)
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

To me, the forums are still quite active despite less exclusive TNS content for 13 Voices than SBM. I mean, I didn't log in for two days last week sometime, and when I did, I had a to catch up a little here. It's been fun! There's still a lot of interaction and sound off to me, which is still just as important.