Moderator: Jeremy Kill

dff_punk
Bunkface
Instrument 2: vocals
Last.fm Username: dff_punk
Twitter: dff_punk

Re: The Leak Discussion

Post by dff_punk »

I'm in love with this album, it blows all the recent releases out of the water!

This morning, when I was first listening to the album while walking to work - the chorus of Goddamn I'm Dead Again came on - and suddenly I noticed I wasn't walking anymore, but running instead. That's the fucking power of music!

But the whole album is amazing, even the bonus tracks. It's another chapter for Sum 41, a step forward. I'll have more words later.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Did one of the Lord Alge brothers not mix this album? Also, I'm pretty sure a mastering engineer would have at least done the mastering.

Either way, I agree with you. The mix is not the best in a lot of places. The lyrics are indecipherable in some songs.

I will reserve judgement until I hear the CD version.
Mike
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Mike »

sumelf wrote:
Ashasx wrote:
sumelf wrote:I'm not going to judge songs here, actually the only thing I want to say - the album is cool and since it's better UH I will love it for sure.

But, what I'd like to mention is
The sound is FUCKING AWFUL in places.
We need re-mastered version of album even before it's even out. :suicide:
Not sure exactly what you mean, buy maybe there is a quality issue with the leak. I am hearing notification noises in some that I know don't belong (GSUA).
No, I'm talking about quality of mastering and mixing which is Deryck's fault. It has nothing to do with the quality of leak.
I'm sure if you noticed it then Deryck noticed it too since he's the one that made it. And since that's the case then that means it was intentional and that's exactly how he wants the album to sound.
sumelf
Hooch
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by sumelf »

oh, I'm pretty sure Deryck did it for purpose, but since he hasn't told us about this purpose - it's just a shitty garage sound where you couldn't hear the sound of guitars. It was obvious after FMOD was out.
Actually, Deryck produced SBM, so he can make nice sound, but this time it didn't worked.
They created complex compositions with lots of sounds and they didn't gave us a chance to hear them all lol

You can hear what I'm talking about in Better Days on 0:27 when another guitar riff starts. The song is just getting more quiet.

BTW, 13 Voices is GREAT album, like really great, it has it's downsides and I don't believe it will be as famous as Chuck or AKNF, but it is still great.
Last edited by sumelf on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashasx
Bunkface
First name: Jordan

Post by Ashasx »

sumelf wrote:
Ashasx wrote:
sumelf wrote:I'm not going to judge songs here, actually the only thing I want to say - the album is cool and since it's better UH I will love it for sure.

But, what I'd like to mention is
The sound is FUCKING AWFUL in places.
We need re-mastered version of album even before it's even out. :suicide:
Not sure exactly what you mean, buy maybe there is a quality issue with the leak. I am hearing notification noises in some that I know don't belong (GSUA).
No, I'm talking about quality of mastering and mixing which is Deryck's fault. It has nothing to do with the quality of leak.
That's fair, I just didn't understand what you meant. I can't fault you for having different desires for the album.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i.imgur.com/j66kxPc.png[/imgwidth]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Mastering can be pretty objective in cases like this. Even experienced engineers fall for the same old shit - it's just been mastered too damn loud and there's no dynamic range which can really affect sound separation and give everything a 'compressed' feel. It's not a question of taste, it's just loudness wars.
fuck this signature nonsense
Gebirgskuchen
First name: Daniel
Instrument 1: Vocals
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Gebirgskuchen »

After my first playthrough it's clear that the production/mixing is basically all messed up. (no pun intendend)
Everything sounds very compressed, there's almost no noticable dynamic, and it also sounds very "thin" cause of the high frequent mixing.

On the positive side, 13 Voices nevertheless does sound "fresh" and could be considered as a developement from all other released albums.

But Deryck should seriously consider using different chord patterns/progressions on the next album. I simply cannot stand the same harmonic progressions over and over again, despite the fact that they are overused in all other popular music genres.
But I also have to admit that he often succeeds to let these chord progressions sound differently, due to good singing melodies.

What I also dislike are the overuse of the effects, because I like more raw rock music. It distracts me too much from the essentials of the songs. Effects should always be a stylistic device, being used cautiosly.
djeesee
Bunkface

Post by djeesee »

Hi everyone,

It's been a while I did not post anything in here.
Has anyone noticed that the solo from Goddamn I'm a deadman sounds exactly like the chorus of Black Eyes?

J-C
djeesee
Bunkface

Re:

Post by djeesee »

sumelf wrote:oh, I'm pretty sure Deryck did it for purpose, but since he hasn't told us about this purpose - it's just a shitty garage sound where you couldn't hear the sound of guitars. It was obvious after FMOD was out.
Actually, Deryck produced SBM, so he can make nice sound, but this time it didn't worked.
They created complex compositions with lots of sounds and they didn't gave us a chance to hear them all lol

You can hear what I'm talking about in Better Days on 0:27 when another guitar riff starts. The song is just getting more quiet.

BTW, 13 Voices is GREAT album, like really great, it has it's downsides and I don't believe it will be as famous as Chuck or AKNF, but it is still great.

Better Days is obviously not being part of the album. I'm sure that the album — the 10 first track — has been mixed by a professional.
The rest of it is mixed by Deryck, I'm pretty sure of that. I don't know how he recorded both of the accoustic track, personnaly I would have preferred to record the sessions with a rubban mic.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I needed some time to fall in love with the new Billy Talent album, but it happened. I surprisingly enjoyed California from Blink-182, it was really fun for me. Didn't really expected much from Revolution Radio, I wasn't for the singles, but after some listening it hooked me in and want to listen the whole album many times more. And then here's the new Sum 41... and I realised again, I have always been and will always be a Skumfuk and this band remains my ultimate, absolute favourite! :2cool4u:
13 Voices is amazing, want to listen to it again and again, not just 1 or 2 songs, but the whole experience.
Somehow A Murder of Crows got me at the second time. It's really epic and brutal opening, that's definitely the big, movie score feeling that Deryck said about. Maybe it can't really stand out itself as Reason to Believe, but for now I don't plan to listen to only just 1-2 songs from the album and in the full concept AMoC totally works.
I guess Goddamn I'm Dead Again will be a favoruite amongst fans, I'm personally not into metal, I don't get pumped up at these elements, but I have to say it doesn't bother me at all: it just makes this album so much more varied, beacuse of this, I just can't get tired of it, yet.
I already said much about Fake My Own Dead: wanted to really like it, but somehow it just doesn't get me. I don't like those voice effects on Deryck's voice in the verses and the chorus a little bit boring, full of overused Sum 41 elements. Still, after the second chorus it gets better, I like the bridge and the last chorus with faster guitar parts sounds much better.
I like how Breaking the Chain starts, another epic movie score feeling, then it transform to a true rock ballad, I like its melody and the lyrics too.
There Will Be Blood is the kind of song that you could pump you up, like a warrior, a battle song. It's cool, I think it's different that they have ever done before, another example how this album is really varied.
13 Voices, a.k.a The Road of Out Hell part 4. :devious: If it not in its meaning, but it reminds me of them. And I love. I love the crazy structure this song has with different instrumental parts, different tunes and how Deryck sings differently almost every part of the song. He could really give me that confused, mad feeling, when you don't what to do, who you should listen to. One of my favourite.
Can't say much more about War, except that I like how it follows 13 Voices, I think it's great how they put them one after one: 13 Voices is crazy, then War is a stop, trying to find out what's going on. Oh, and I like the finished version better which we got through Pledge and plays on the videoclip, I don't know why this was leaked. Will we get this version on the CD?
I just got love God Save Us All, all of the three singles it's the one that pumped me up and hooked me in instantly. Yeah, it's popish and therefore it has an inconsistent message as I said before, but the song itself is cool, energetic and I believe it would blow everyone's mind away in live! :2cool4u: Hope they will play it.
That part in The Fall and Rise... well, I can't say it's rapping at all, hence that was a little disappointment for me. It's rather an old school punk part, like a Rage Against a Machine and I'm not fan of this punk style at all. Although the song is good, I just wanted something like in Fat Lip.
Twisted by Design, just like for others, it's one of my favourite too, I instantly fell in love its melody when we first heard it in that teaser and it's so good to hear in full.
From the bonus songs I like Better Days more, it has the heavy sound as the whole album has, but still feel optimistic, I enjoy it a lot. Black Eyes a little bit featureless for me, I miss something extra. Although the first line of the chorus bugs me so much! It reminds me of another song's chorus, I just can't recall which song was it... I can even hear the lyric "This is not the end" on the same tune as Deryck sings in this, but I can't find that song. Someone?
The acoustic War: Honestly, this is the most unnecessary song on the album. Or in their career? :silly: Seriously, this acoustic set-up adds nothing to the song, I don't feel Deryck tried here anything at all, the original version sounds way better. When they make an acoustic version of a song, I want to hear something different and I think it's easier if that original song is heavier or has different unstrumentals. I don't think War was a good choice at all, but I guess it's more personal to Deryck. But listen to Blood In My Eyes acoustic version: crazy how different it sounds and still how good it is, a complete new song. Breaking the Chain acoustic is good, can't say I want to hear it many times, but at least it has some different tones than the original, I can seperate them easily. Also, this version somehow reminds me the previous Marily Manson album, has similiar mood (Third Day of a Seven Day Binge).

All in all, amazing, great album with so many emotions which I really need now. It maybe helps me get better and I can't wait to listen it more and more! Proud to be a Skumfuk.
The Jester
First name: Rick

Post by The Jester »

Better Days sounds like Moron so much it's not even funny
Zell1010
Billy Spleen
First name: Andy

Post by Zell1010 »

The chorus of Twisted by Design has stuck with me all day today.

That was my favourite of the instagram snippets that we heard and I'm glad it made the album.

Very happy with the album and looking forward to having a non leaked version of the album on Friday.
linkwhibley

Post by linkwhibley »

I neeed more songs jajajajaja I LOVE THIS ALL
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

I fuckin love the album but I feel like a lot of the melodies are recycled from old sum 41 songs haha
Its not necessarily a bad thing just something i noticed. The bridge in 13 voices sounds almost exactly like holy image of lies/sick of everyone for example.
phatass
Ma Poubelle
AKA: Underclass Brownie
Instrument 1: Drums for a band
Instrument 2: Guitar as a hobby

Post by phatass »

Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar

Re:

Post by Hentaiman »

Ardi41 wrote:I fuckin love the album but I feel like a lot of the melodies are recycled from old sum 41 songs haha
Its not necessarily a bad thing just something i noticed. The bridge in 13 voices sounds almost exactly like holy image of lies/sick of everyone for example.
Yeah I noticed this. It sounds like the pre-chorus of Sick of Everyone.
And the C part in 13 Voices sounds like the C part of Hapiness Machines. Still love the album though, but it's not the only song that I noticed had similarities to old Sum 41 songs. The chorus of Black Eyes also reminds me of some other Sum 41 song.
Shane41
First name: Shane

Post by Shane41 »

Black eyes chorus sounds like the +44 song about Tom delonge
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

fergal41 wrote:Did one of the Lord Alge brothers not mix this album?
I'm not sure, but hasn't Ted Jensen mastered this? Well he, as well as the Lord-Alge brothers, knows his shit.
Gebirgskuchen wrote:What I also dislike are the overuse of the effects, because I like more raw rock music. It distracts me too much from the essentials of the songs. Effects should always be a stylistic device, being used cautiosly.
This. I was very skeptical when I listened to FMOD's verses the first time, but the song grew on me. Nevertheless, the more organic and natural, the more I like it in general.
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...