WAR

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

WAR

Post by TomiT14 »

Click to view the fullsize image.http://www.sum41.com/wp-content/uploads ... _insta.jpg[/imgwidth]

Sum 41 has officially released its first single for the upcoming album 13 Voices. This new song is titled War. Here's how Deryck describes the song.
Deryck wrote:so we have officially picked the first single now. this song is called “war”. i picked this song because of it’s importance to me. i feel this song literally saved my life. i was at my absolute lowest point of what seemed like a never ending recovery. i was at a tipping point where i could have easily just given up and went back to my old ways of alcohol abuse which would’ve ended up killing me, which at the time felt like a better option. when all of a sudden, in mid thought, these lyrics sort of appeared in my head and i grabbed a pencil and paper instead of a bottle and started writing. when i read it back to myself i realized i had written words that i would need to live up to if i wanted to survive. whenever i had any thoughts of giving up i would read these lyrics myself to remind me that i need to keep fighting harder and what it was exactly i was fighting for.
13 Voices will be out on October 7th on CD, Vinyl and Digital. Pre-Order your copy now behind these links!

Pre-Order Europe
Pre-Order North America
Merch store
dff_punk
Bunkface
Instrument 2: vocals
Last.fm Username: dff_punk
Twitter: dff_punk

Post by dff_punk »

It's so catchy - can't get it out of my head, and that's a good thing! Songwriting-wise, it's really awesome, the melody is really fine. The only thing a bit out of place(imho) are the modern synth beats in the beginning, but otherwise I love it :)

As a guy who is sober for over 4 years and has his history with alcohol, I totally get the lyrics, his whole struggle and where he's coming from. Don't worry Deryck, it gets better with time!
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Re: WAR

Post by samueeL »

Love the song, great backing vocals especially.

One note:
Spotify version and YouTube version have different bridge, I think I like the youtube one more!

Also Deryck looks so good and healthy and he also looks a bit like DC Comics dude Constantine, haha.
The Jester
First name: Rick
Post by The Jester »

I'm wondering whether they will play this live a lot.
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

I can't wait to hear the acoustic version
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Post by Sju »

Like I said in the other thread, it's definitely not what I had expected, and, honestly, I didn't like it that much at first. On my very first listen, the first 15-20 seconds and the synth beats scared me a bit. :D It is growing on me, though. I love the lyrics/emotion behind it and D's commentary really moved me. I'm definitely going to keep listening :winkwink:

I really like the video but I'm not not a fan of the ending.
Ashasx
Bunkface
First name: Jordan
Post by Ashasx »

I definitely prefer Fake My Own Death (which I think is a pretty special song), but I'm still enjoying it. It's different than anything they've done before.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i.imgur.com/j66kxPc.png[/imgwidth]
Gebirgskuchen
First name: Daniel
Instrument 1: Vocals
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Gebirgskuchen »

For me personally War is a good rock ballad, far better than any of the ballads of SBM or UH. Nevertheless, harmonic-wise War is a little bit boring, especially, because there's no real bridge, which distingishes from the other song parts.

All in all it's my ballad No.2 right after Pieces. :)
PTswim41
Billy Spleen
First name: Dan

Re:

Post by PTswim41 »

Sju wrote:Like I said in the other thread, it's definitely not what I had expected, and, honestly, I didn't like it that much at first. On my very first listen, the first 15-20 seconds and the synth beats scared me a bit. :D It is growing on me, though. I love the lyrics/emotion behind it and D's commentary really moved me. I'm definitely going to keep listening :winkwink:

Synth beats? All I hear is piano, drums, and guitar.
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Re: Re:

Post by Sju »

PTswim41 wrote:
Sju wrote:Like I said in the other thread, it's definitely not what I had expected, and, honestly, I didn't like it that much at first. On my very first listen, the first 15-20 seconds and the synth beats scared me a bit. :D It is growing on me, though. I love the lyrics/emotion behind it and D's commentary really moved me. I'm definitely going to keep listening :winkwink:

Synth beats? All I hear is piano, drums, and guitar.
I wasn't sure what to call it and someone else already used the term. I meant the beats at 0:13-17.
sumelf
Hooch
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by sumelf »

ok, I listened to it for the whole day and the song has grew on me. I think it's quite good while it still could be better with some touches here and there. Let's think about There's No Solution.
And also it is still too POP for me, please don't misunderstand, it's not too light or slow, but really trying to be so radio song, as you mentioned before.
MetalMilition41
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Saxomophone
Twitter: Don't have that shit

Post by MetalMilition41 »

I've listened to it all day as well. It's grown on me but it still sounds Linkin Parkesque imo. I also find it ironic how the song following this one on the album is called God Save Us All (Death to POP) lol
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

I do enjoy the song, but yeah I think releasing this as the single was a huge mistake. I feel kind of bad for the guys, because I think this will kill some of the hype of the album release. I think we really needed to hear another heavy song with a solo from Dave at this point to keep things moving.

On another note though, I do feel like the lyrics call for a much more aggressive song. Especially with the main hook being "Get ready cause this is war!!!"
Jeremy Kill
Re:

Post by Jeremy Kill »

samueeL wrote:Spotify version and YouTube version have different bridge, I think I like the youtube one more!
I noticed this today. I wonder if the YouTube version will be on the album. It reminds me of March of the Dogs, except backwards. There was a second guitar in the pre-chorus on the digital release version, but then taken out on the album version.
spider-man wrote:I do enjoy the song, but yeah I think releasing this as the single was a huge mistake. I feel kind of bad for the guys, because I think this will kill some of the hype of the album release. I think we really needed to hear another heavy song with a solo from Dave at this point to keep things moving.
I don't know, I think what they're doing so far is working/going to work out for them. Fake My Own Death was a great comeback song, and by the looks of it most people enjoy it. The general story behind 13 Voices is that it's about Deryck's recovery, so it feels fitting that the first single is the one that saved his life, regardless of it being a ballad or not. It also shows the dynamic of the album that they have fast, riffy songs, but also softer ones too. Like they're letting the public know not to expect it to be DTLI-2 just because Dave's back.

The best part about War (in my opinion) is that none of it appeared as little teasers on Deryck's Instagram, so there's still "those songs" to look forward to, haha.
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Re:

Post by SBMurder »

spider-man wrote:I do enjoy the song, but yeah I think releasing this as the single was a huge mistake. I feel kind of bad for the guys, because I think this will kill some of the hype of the album release. I think we really needed to hear another heavy song with a solo from Dave at this point to keep things moving.

On another note though, I do feel like the lyrics call for a much more aggressive song. Especially with the main hook being "Get ready cause this is war!!!"
the point of a single is to get the appeal of the masses. if they release something that caters to the die hard fans then it will be liked by pretty much only the die hard fans and not many else. its better for them to release tracks that will be successful with large crowds of people rather than the ones that will only please their current fans
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:It reminds me of March of the Dogs, except backwards. There was a second guitar in the pre-chorus on the digital release version, but then taken out on the album version.
Whaaat? I did not know this. :glad: And after checking out all the files I have, I can't seem to find a version with two guitars. Or am I just deaf? :glad:
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

TomiT14 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:It reminds me of March of the Dogs, except backwards. There was a second guitar in the pre-chorus on the digital release version, but then taken out on the album version.
Whaaat? I did not know this. :glad: And after checking out all the files I have, I can't seem to find a version with two guitars. Or am I just deaf? :glad:
Haha, it should be the version that fades out at the end. The track time is 3:11. It's easier to hear with headphones though! The rest of my post is in spoilers so I don't derail this thread any longer, haha.
Spoiler: show
Tom usually played the second guitar part live back in the day, but most videos on YouTube don't have good sound quality. If you're curious to what it sounded like, this guy did a guitar cover where he plays it - kind of, haha, I don't know about the last couple of notes if they're correct.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
Haha, it should be the version that fades out at the end. The track time is 3:11. It's easier to hear with headphones though! The rest of my post is in spoilers so I don't derail this thread any longer, haha.
Spoiler: show
Tom usually played the second guitar part live back in the day, but most videos on YouTube don't have good sound quality. If you're curious to what it sounded like, this guy did a guitar cover where he plays it - kind of, haha, I don't know about the last couple of notes if they're correct.
I'd think it's a mixing/quality issue. I have three versions, UH-album (3:08 leading to Jester), UH-single (3:10 fading out) and a low quality version (3:11 leading to Jester).

While the guitar is "clear" in the low quality version, the ending is the same as on the album. After listening to the high quality versions, I may be wrong, but I think I could hear a distant second guitar on those. So I believe the guitar is there on the album, but it's either mixed more to the background, or you can just hear it better on the low quality version. At least that's what I think, until someone provides me a high quality version of the original file. :glad:
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Whats is that drawning that he digs out in the video?

Btw, I like War better than FMOD.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Iam The Ghost wrote:Whats is that drawning that he digs out in the video?

Btw, I like War better than FMOD.
On Facebook someone commented that it's a drawing of Deryck made by Avril. I have no idea if it's true or not.