Moderator: Jeremy Kill

samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Why didn't Noots make it to Chuck?

Post by samueeL »

I was listening songs off of Chuck the other day and realized again how much I love Noots, such a great song and one of my favorites of the band. Was it ever addressed why it didn't fit into the record? I have this very shaky memory of We're All To Blame being written last and replacing Noots on the album but I feel like that wasn't it.

Anyone remember/know?
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: Why didn't Noots make it to Chuck?

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I really like Noots, too, definitely my first choice on the "please, play it live!" list.

I only guess, but I think Noots was too lightweight and happy-vibe song for the album's overall darker tune.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

samueeL wrote:I have this very shaky memory of We're All To Blame being written last and replacing Noots on the album but I feel like that wasn't it.
We're All To Blame replaced Noots, that's true. But why it was replaced, rather than just adding a new song hasn't been addressed.

Subject To Change is a Top-5 Sum-song for me. I can't understand how it didn't make the album, and I'm glad it was released as a b-side rather than being left in the leftover pile.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Here for the Noots appreciation, as well! Always been one of my top favourites from the Chuck years. All ones that didn't make it on the album I can say are pretty much my top picks, aside from my number one being Pieces.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

I think I read in an interview somewhere that Deryck said "Noots" was originally the 3rd track on Chuck. And after the Congo incident, "We're All To Blame" was recorded and they wanted to put it on the album, so they decided to sacrifice "Noots" and replace it with "We're All To Blame."

In my opinion, they should've kept both "Noots" and "We're All To Blame" and sacrificed "Slipping Away" instead.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

In terms of bonus tracks and b-sides, Chuck has the best ones. I do feel like Noots was lighter than the rest of the songs that ended up on the album and that could be a reason why it was taken out. It did appear on the Fantastic 4 soundtrack. Maybe the band was asked to do a song for the movie and they just submitted Noots? The main riff is also quite similar to Still Waiting and it was the first thing I noticed when I heard it. Could that possibly be a reason as well?