New interview of Deryck by Sum 41 France (23/02/16)

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

New interview of Deryck by Sum 41 France (23/02/16)

Post by DW_60 »

Here we go, our interview of Deryck is online skumfuks !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUlfT6PCPY

A big thank you to him for giving us some of his time after such a crazy show in Paris. Thanks to the band and to their staff who were all really perfect and special thanks to our little Tomi who was among us. Always a pleasure to see you.

Quick information: Sum 41 France is becoming TNS France which is gonna come along the new album hopefully, and why not with a new design
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Ah, that was very nice interview and cleared up lots about new album :) People just get too eager and excited and then it can come out in negative way, even though it's just excitement. And Deryck looks very healthy and relaxed, good to see. Honestly, I feel like this new era is gonna be my favorite from Sum 41. Great live setup, 3 original guys, everyone seems to pitch in ideas for songs and song parts and so forth. And playing songs like Count Your Last Blessing and 88 live is very cool. Singles are nice but getting a bit more rare songs here and there is always refreshing. Jessica Kill would be very cool to hear live also, might be a bit tough on the voice in the long run though?

And yes, better not give up on that Believe ;), it's pretty cool that such tiny clip from 5(?) years ago got people so excited that they still can't stop asking about it.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: New interview of Deryck by Sum 41 France (23/02/16)

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Jessica Kill live? Oh my, that would be so awesome, that's my ringtone and one of my favourite from SBM. I'd be blown away if I could hear it live in the summer. :suicide:
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Great Interview!
Wish he answered the Pull The Curtain question though. That would be so sick to hear now especially since they could do all the layered vocals now.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Those audio extracts, have they been released before? I don't remember ever hearing them.
fuck this signature nonsense
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Shame on you.

They were released around Christmas on their Instagram.
Sickore
Billy Spleen
First name: Justyna
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: FiFty_B
Twitter: j_sickore

Post by Sickore »

Great chat! It's cool that they are considering playing Crash - I think slowing things down a little bit with this song (maybe as a penultimate song before the final BANG) would be something that I'd love to hear. I really like such moments during concerts and the fact that Crash is so much different than the rest of songs is only positive. So don't be shy to bring it into the setlist.

PS with all this talk about playing festivals in Europe in August I really quietly hope that the Sums will come to a certain festival in Poland. I really do. Please do. Bring them! :happy:
ChrisC1997
First name: Chris
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by ChrisC1997 »

I for one, would absolutely love it if the played some more of the deeper cuts from UH and SBM like 'The Jester' and 'Back Where I Belong' again
Klim Ivanin
First name: Klim

Post by Klim Ivanin »

Speaking about a wishlist of songs to be played by the Sums, I would say that I'm much more interested to hear the other side of Sum 41. I mean, such songs, as Slipping Away, Crash, Best Of Me. Some time ago Deryck was used to end every show with an "Exit Song", which was really interesting to hear too. But I clearly understand that it is nearly impossible to mix these kinds of songs with a traditionally fast setlist. But what if someday Sum 41 played an acoustic show?

By the way, it would be JUST perfect if Deryck played "Always" someday. This song is amazing.

P.S
Thank you so much for the interview. Very good questions. So happy to see Deryck strong
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Nice interview! I've watched some videos of their Paris show on YouTube. They're really on top of their game. I think Pull the Curtain would sound good live now that there's five of them on stage.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

It's weird, because at times Deryck really seems like he wants to push forward musically and actually develop the band's sound beyond plain old punk (something SBM did many times better than any previous album), but at the same time he seems so afraid to play anything other than the classics at shows. The band's most dedicated fans want to hear shit like Jester, Pull the Curtain, Dark Road Out of Hell, Blood In My Eyes etc., rather than just crowd-pleasers like Fat Lip which are not in themselves good songs.

It's the same thing with the label situation - they say they don't care about sales, press or critics but are still intent on finding a label and signing themselves away again even though the album is already almost finished and fully funded. It's not like promotion doesn't happen on independent releases, and some of the most revered albums of the decade so far have been released in such a way. It seems like they want to find a label because that's what they're used to and going independent would be too far out of their comfort zone.
fuck this signature nonsense
kev_apollo
First name: Kevin

Post by kev_apollo »

Gregorovich wrote:It's weird, because at times Deryck really seems like he wants to push forward musically and actually develop the band's sound beyond plain old punk (something SBM did many times better than any previous album), but at the same time he seems so afraid to play anything other than the classics at shows. The band's most dedicated fans want to hear shit like Jester, Pull the Curtain, Dark Road Out of Hell, Blood In My Eyes etc., rather than just crowd-pleasers like Fat Lip which are not in themselves good songs.

It's the same thing with the label situation - they say they don't care about sales, press or critics but are still intent on finding a label and signing themselves away again even though the album is already almost finished and fully funded. It's not like promotion doesn't happen on independent releases, and some of the most revered albums of the decade so far have been released in such a way. It seems like they want to find a label because that's what they're used to and going independent would be too far out of their comfort zone.
That's a good point. I last saw them in 2008 in the UK (missed the current tour :( ) and even though Underclass Hero had just been released, I think they only played 2 songs from it.

Screw the mainstream Deryck, play what you wanna play!
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

kev_apollo wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:It's weird, because at times Deryck really seems like he wants to push forward musically and actually develop the band's sound beyond plain old punk (something SBM did many times better than any previous album), but at the same time he seems so afraid to play anything other than the classics at shows. The band's most dedicated fans want to hear shit like Jester, Pull the Curtain, Dark Road Out of Hell, Blood In My Eyes etc., rather than just crowd-pleasers like Fat Lip which are not in themselves good songs.
That's a good point. I last saw them in 2008 in the UK (missed the current tour :( ) and even though Underclass Hero had just been released, I think they only played 2 songs from it.

Screw the mainstream Deryck, play what you wanna play!
I don't think it's about being afraid to try new things. You have to realize that the 'fans' and the 'crowd' at shows are not the same thing. Fans would love to hear some deep cuts and rarely played songs, but a big part of the crowd are there to enjoy the only songs they know - the singles.

There are about 10-12 songs that the crowd expects them to play. That's half the setlist. The other half they can play whatever they (or the fans) want, and I think on this tour they changed it up from show to show quite well.

But I have to agree that they should just play whatever they want without over-thinking too much what the fans would like to hear. I mean, Deryck thought that no one really knows The Jester. Well, songs like King Of Contradiction, Welcome To Hell and Sick Of Everyone are all deep cuts, still they are played in almost every show. I'm sure The Jester (for example) would find its way to people's hearts as quckly as those other songs. :winkwink:

That being said, I really appreciate Deryck's effort to make the shows perfect for both the fans and the crowd. Almost every single detail for the show is done with the fans in their mind.
DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Post by DW_60 »

I really hope I'll hear The Jester someday, I mean, it's really a song made for live ! I've never found any video of the band playing it on stage (other than on the UH sessions). On Sum 41 France, we receive a lot of messages of fans who keep asking if the band intends to play I'm Not The One, The Jester, Exit Song or even Always (and also Ma Poubelle, it's probably the most asked here aha).

I think that Deryck underestimates those songs. There's a real demand for them. They gain value as time goes by. These songs can't be forgotten.
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

If I remember correctly, Deryck said many times he doesn't like I'm not the One. So I guess there's little chance for them to play that live.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Iam The Ghost wrote:If I remember correctly, Deryck said many times he doesn't like I'm not the One. So I guess there's little chance for them to play that live.
I don't remember him ever saying that. But I remember him thinking something about that the song would probably not sound as awesome live, since there are a lot of overlapping vocals that would be too difficult for him to sing, and splitting the vocals would change the dynamic of the song. But that was years ago, so now with more people on stage they could figure it out. So never say never. :silly:

And sorry for commenting on every post here. I'm just eager to talk about Sum 41. :hehe:
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Well with the new album coming out at some point, the set-list is bound to go through some changes. hopefully there'll be a lot of songs on the new album that'll make it to the set-rotation. =)
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros

Post by Andros »

Nice interview, I really want to hear more songs that they never play before, maybe someday we will get a full Chuck live, like they did with Does This Look Infected anniversary. And the only thing I think it's really sad is the lack of a strong information of the new album or updates.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

X^2 wrote:Well with the new album coming out at some point, the set-list is bound to go through some changes. hopefully there'll be a lot of songs on the new album that'll make it to the set-rotation. =)
Well even with new albums out the setlist never really changed that much. they just added 1 or two new songs occasionaly and that was it. But yeah hopefully that'll be different this time around.
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Andros wrote:And the only thing I think it's really sad is the lack of a strong information of the new album or updates.
Yeah, it's a bit frustrating to me as well.

Of course, as fans of Sum 41, we never had any complaints about a lack of updates. On the other hand: now they promoted Pledgemusic as "being a part of the process", updates are rather rare. Which is a pity, of course.

But again: Deryck has no strong information to share, I think. They're figuring out their label situation and I'm sure they'll let us know when something's confirmed.

Although it would be nice to have a statement like "Alright, there's 20 songs recorded for this album. 12 of them are completely done, the rest is being mixed in the next few weeks."