DERYCK HERE.

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
Mr. Biz
First name: Deryck
DERYCK HERE.

Post by Mr. Biz »

it's been awhile. how is everyone? good xmas?

deryck
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Re: DERYCK HERE.

Post by sprinks41 »

Hey Deryck! Merry Christmas to you! I was one of the fans lucky enough to get a call from you last year. I have actually been trying to call you periodically for the last several months but haven't been able to get a hold of you. Wanted to wish you the best of luck in your recovery and hope that you get better soon. (Hope you don't find that creepy, haha!) How's the new music coming along?
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

hey man. yeah. recovery is going well. not 100% yet but working hard everyday. i can't wait to get back on stage. i think i remember you. are you from jersey? sorry if i'm wrong. i don't have that number anymore. that's probably why you can't get a hold of me. i don't have much time these days to personally talk. for now this is the best way to chat. so if anyone has any questions, ask away!
maru89
First name: Maru

Post by maru89 »

Hi deryck!! Im so happy to see you're recovering well!
I wanted to know if you already have a drummer , and if you are planning a reunion with dave. I heard he would like to play with sum 41 again.
Please come to Argentina. Unfortunately you had to cancel the 2011 tour and we couldnt see you.
We'll still waiting for you .
Lots of love and best wishes for you. Thank you so much for your music! Cant wait to see you.
Merry Christmas and happy new year
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Hi Deryck! Greetings from Hungary (you've been here twice, it was really great)
Glad to hear from you, it's really great you don't alienate yourself from social media and computer stuffs anymore. :)
I've never been in LA (actually, in America at all), how was the Christmas there? Any big plans for New Year? Possibly New Year's pledge?
I wish the best for you, looking for a possibly new material (Sum 41 or solo maybe?) and Happy Holidays!
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

maru89 wrote:Hi deryck!! Im so happy to see you're recovering well!
I wanted to know if you already have a drummer , and if you are planning a reunion with dave. I heard he would like to play with sum 41 again.
Please come to Argentina. Unfortunately you had to cancel the 2011 tour and we couldnt see you.
We'll still waiting for you .
Lots of love and best wishes for you. Thank you so much for your music! Cant wait to see you.
Merry Christmas and happy new year
nothing is solid yet. but when i know who the official drummer is i will let everyone know. and just know that whoever we decide is the new drummer, he will be awesome. i don't play with hacks!
Mr. Biz
Re:

Post by Mr. Biz »

Iam The Ghost wrote:Hi Deryck! Greetings from Hungary (you've been here twice, it was really great)
Glad to hear from you, it's really great you don't alienate yourself from social media and computer stuffs anymore. :)
I've never been in LA (actually, in America at all), how was the Christmas there? Any big plans for New Year? Possibly New Year's pledge?
I wish the best for you, looking for a possibly new material (Sum 41 or solo maybe?) and Happy Holidays!

hello. i always hated social media in the past but have come to enjoy it a bit more lately. i like to stay in contact with fans and i love to hear from you guys. christmas was great. i came back to canada to see my grandparents who i love dearly. tomorrow i'm hanging with cone. i'm working on the new sum album now. so far so good. i have lots of ideas but still not very close to being finished yet. i'm working on it everyday as well as my health. as far as new years plans, i'm just going to keep on getting healthier and stronger and try to write the best songs that i can. i want the next album to be great for both the fans and myself. i don't want to put out shit.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: Re:

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Mr. Biz wrote: hello. i always hated social media in the past but have come to enjoy it a bit more lately. i like to stay in contact with fans and i love to hear from you guys. christmas was great. i came back to canada to see my grandparents who i love dearly. tomorrow i'm hanging with cone. i'm working on the new sum album now. so far so good. i have lots of ideas but still not very close to being finished yet. i'm working on it everyday as well as my health. as far as new years plans, i'm just going to keep on getting healthier and stronger and try to write the best songs that i can. i want the next album to be great for both the fans and myself. i don't want to put out shit.
Cool, it's really great to hear after all these years you're still so ambitious and enthusiastic about writing new songs.
Can you tell us about what gives you the ideas, what are the sources for writings new songs nowadays? Maybe you wrote something about your health, what you've been through and how it affected and changed your peresent daily life?

By the way, I really hope someday I could meet you. Your songs gave and still are giving me so many strenght in so many emotional situations. I already imagined a picture with the band, below that the first lines from Hell Song with your handwriting (my favourite song) and I'd framed them together and put on my wall. :) Yeah, maybe sounds creepy, but it would symbolize so many things I've lived through in my life.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Glad to hear things are going well!

Have you gotten song ideas from Tom or Cone this time around for the new album? Those guys seem to write a lot of songs too!
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Hey Deryck !

Nice to see you here, it's been a while !

I'm glad to know you're recovering well.

Since you're here, I have a question for you: I saw that you had a kemper profiler. Do you like it ? I bought one myself, but it hasn't shipped yet. I'm really interested in the sounds you had on SBM, could you please tell me what were your go-to amps for this album ?

Thanks !

See you soon I hope, and happy new year in advance.

Cyril
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

Mr. Biz wrote:hey man. yeah. recovery is going well. not 100% yet but working hard everyday. i can't wait to get back on stage. i think i remember you. are you from jersey? sorry if i'm wrong. i don't have that number anymore. that's probably why you can't get a hold of me. i don't have much time these days to personally talk. for now this is the best way to chat. so if anyone has any questions, ask away!
Yes I am from Jersey! Haha so glad you remembered! Not having that number anymore would explain why I can't get a hold of you haha! Glad you're doing well with recovery. I hope you're comfortable enough to answer this: when Stevo left the band you said you didn't have a fight or anything and that you understand his reasons. Have you spoken since he left? Are you guys on civil terms?
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

So nice to hear from you, really appreciate your posts!

We're in for a heavier, more energetic record, aren't we? Let's say: we continue where Screaming Bloody Murder stopped?

I wish you all of the best for 2015, man.

Oh by the way: keep posting those music clips on Instagram. Love my boners that come with it.

Lars
Walking Disaster
First name: Kimmy

Post by Walking Disaster »

Hey Deryck! Good to hear you're doing well. Hope you had a great xmas with your grandparents.
I finally got All Killer No Filler and Chuck on vinyl. Love it!
I can't wait to hear some new music and to see you on tour again. You really need to come to Germany again. Hope i'll meet you then!
By the way, thank you for keeping us updated and for taking the time to talk to us. It really means a lot to me and i bet to all the other Skumfuks too. :)
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

sprinks41 wrote:
Mr. Biz wrote:hey man. yeah. recovery is going well. not 100% yet but working hard everyday. i can't wait to get back on stage. i think i remember you. are you from jersey? sorry if i'm wrong. i don't have that number anymore. that's probably why you can't get a hold of me. i don't have much time these days to personally talk. for now this is the best way to chat. so if anyone has any questions, ask away!
Yes I am from Jersey! Haha so glad you remembered! Not having that number anymore would explain why I can't get a hold of you haha! Glad you're doing well with recovery. I hope you're comfortable enough to answer this: when Stevo left the band you said you didn't have a fight or anything and that you understand his reasons. Have you spoken since he left? Are you guys on civil terms?
we haven't seen each other. we don't live near each other.
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

182sins wrote:Hey Deryck !

Since you're here, I have a question for you: I saw that you had a kemper profiler. Do you like it ? I bought one myself, but it hasn't shipped yet. I'm really interested in the sounds you had on SBM, could you please tell me what were your go-to amps for this album ?

Thanks !

Cyril
cool. i love talking about this kinda stuff. i love the kemper. i've put all my amp sounds in there. i can't wait to hear it live. it sounds pretty identical in the studio to the real things. i doubt you could tell the difference between the two. i'm experimenting using some live amps and over dubbing some lead sounds with the kemper. also i like the fact that i can mic up a couple of different amps, send it all to the kemper and profile that sound to use as one channel. i've already made my favourite amp combos. they're self explanatory. 1 is called ALL KILLER which is a dual rectifier with a 59 marshall plexi mixed. another is JESSICA KILL. that's my 72 modded marshall super bass head nicknamed "BEAST". i used that mostly for sbm. you can really hear it on reason to believe's heavy guitars, blood in my eyes choruses, and of course jessica kill. then i have one called THE JESTER. which is again my super bass but with different settings. and when i get back from the holidays i'm working on making the UNDERCLASS HERO profile. it's the chorus guitar sound. which is a marshall 800 and a diesel head combined. i didn't own an 800 when i recorded that song, i borrowed one from rob cavallo. i recently just bought an '83 marshall 800 on ebay. it showed up the day i left for xmas holiday. so when i get back i'm going to finish that profile. these sounds should kick ass live. i think these things are so groundbreaking and couldn't be better for people like me who have so many amps that can't be taken on tour. and that's only a few i've mentioned.
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

Walking Disaster wrote:Hey Deryck! Good to hear you're doing well. Hope you had a great xmas with your grandparents.
I finally got All Killer No Filler and Chuck on vinyl. Love it!
I can't wait to hear some new music and to see you on tour again. You really need to come to Germany again. Hope i'll meet you then!
By the way, thank you for keeping us updated and for taking the time to talk to us. It really means a lot to me and i bet to all the other Skumfuks too. :)

cool!! i can't wait to get back there and to have new music out.
Mr. Biz
Re:

Post by Mr. Biz »

Lars wrote:So nice to hear from you, really appreciate your posts!

We're in for a heavier, more energetic record, aren't we? Let's say: we continue where Screaming Bloody Murder stopped?

Oh by the way: keep posting those music clips on Instagram. Love my boners that come with it.

Lars

haha. i can rest at night know i played a small part in your boners. i think you have a safe assessment on what the new record is shaping up to sound like. it has andsbm,chuck, dtli and as always, something a little bit new. hope that gives an idea of what to expect.
Jeremy Kill
Re: Re:

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Mr. Biz wrote:
Lars wrote:So nice to hear from you, really appreciate your posts!

Lars

haha. i can rest at night know i played a small part in your boners. i think you have a safe assessment on what the new record is shaping up to sound like. it has andsbm,chuck, dtli and as always, something a little bit new. hope that gives an idea of what to expect.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the Instagram updates. There was some really cool stuff on Screaming Bloody Murder, like the first minute of the title track and the beginning of Skumfuk. I almost wish they could've been longer because I enjoyed the atmosphere of those songs. Screaming Bloody Murder is definitely my favourite incarnation of Sum 41 to date.
DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Post by DW_60 »

Hey Deryck how are you ? I often think about the shows that you played here in France ! At the Maroquinerie, the Zenith, at the Arènes de Nîmes, and many more ! France is waiting to welcome you with open arms as always, you know that.

About the new album: can you explain which direction the new Sum 41 album is taking, providing that each record is unique and has its own atmosphere ! Do you have any particular influences for this new album, or an anecdote so far ?

By the way, do you think Dave getting back on stage with Tom could be something we could see in the future ?

happy holidays!
Amin
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Mr. Biz wrote:
182sins wrote:Hey Deryck !

Thanks !

Cyril
cool. i love talking about this kinda stuff. i love the kemper. i've put all my amp sounds in there. i can't wait to hear it live. it sounds pretty identical in the studio to the real things. i doubt you could tell the difference between the two. i'm experimenting using some live amps and over dubbing some lead sounds with the kemper. also i like the fact that i can mic up a couple of different amps, send it all to the kemper and profile that sound to use as one channel. i've already made my favourite amp combos. they're self explanatory. 1 is called ALL KILLER which is a dual rectifier with a 59 marshall plexi mixed. another is JESSICA KILL. that's my 72 modded marshall super bass head nicknamed "BEAST". i used that mostly for sbm. you can really hear it on reason to believe's heavy guitars, blood in my eyes choruses, and of course jessica kill. then i have one called THE JESTER. which is again my super bass but with different settings. and when i get back from the holidays i'm working on making the UNDERCLASS HERO profile. it's the chorus guitar sound. which is a marshall 800 and a diesel head combined. i didn't own an 800 when i recorded that song, i borrowed one from rob cavallo. i recently just bought an '83 marshall 800 on ebay. it showed up the day i left for xmas holiday. so when i get back i'm going to finish that profile. these sounds should kick ass live. i think these things are so groundbreaking and couldn't be better for people like me who have so many amps that can't be taken on tour. and that's only a few i've mentioned.
Thanks ! I actually saw the picture of your amps that you posted on instagram and I was curious about "the beast". Now I know !

Do you think you'll share those profiles on the kemper platform (or whatever it's called) ?

I'm thinking of buying some profiles made by some professional studios to get sounds close to what you had on SBM. I really like the sounds on UH too.

Oh have you tried the Divided by 13 amps ?? I heard some demos and they sound sweet ! They're based in California I think. I'll definitely buy the profiles of these amps (there are some good websites like theampfactory.com or soundside.de)

By the way, I don't now if you're interested or not, but I saw yesterday that kemper is going to release their long awaited footswitch. There's a waiting list apparently. Just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for your post, I love talking about that kind of stuff too !

Cyril