Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

All The Good Sh!t Question

Post by UltraKolby »

Okay, maybe you all already answered this or maybe I'm just dumb (kinda am) but why wasn't Some Say and No Reason on the Sum's greatest hit album? There were singles so why not? I mean, Pain For Pleasure was on it and i don't think I was even a single or anything. Just wondering why
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Some Say wasn't proper "single" as it was released in Canada and Japan only. Europe and US got No Reason. I don't really understand why record company decided to go like that. Both good single songs though! It's not exactly "singles 2000-2008" album though, like the title says it's greatest hits.

Holy shit, just realized it was released 5 years ago. Or well, 4 and ½ but still. Time really flies. Guys, when was the last time you listened Always? Can't remember when was my last time, better give it a listen right now!
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

The songs were chosen by the band itself. They decided to include the singles, along with P4P, which is a song they play in almost every show. And they wanted to add Always, so the fans would have something new aswell, but the label made it a bonus track.

Some Say and No Reason? It's no surprise that Chuck is Deryck's least favorite album. I guess he wanted to leave those singles out for that reason?
UltraKolby
Hooch

Re:

Post by UltraKolby »

TomiT14 wrote:The songs were chosen by the band itself. They decided to include the singles, along with P4P, which is a song they play in almost every show. And they wanted to add Always, so the fans would have something new aswell, but the label made it a bonus track.

Some Say and No Reason? It's no surprise that Chuck is Deryck's least favorite album. I guess he wanted to leave those singles out for that reason?
Why was Chuck Deryck's least favorite album? Sorry for asking a lot of questions :silly:
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

UltraKolby wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:The songs were chosen by the band itself. They decided to include the singles, along with P4P, which is a song they play in almost every show. And they wanted to add Always, so the fans would have something new aswell, but the label made it a bonus track.

Why was Chuck Deryck's least favorite album? Sorry for asking a lot of questions :silly:
Can't remember the exact words he used, but he wrote a heavier album because he felt that people expected that from them. He didn't write what he wanted or felt like, he wrote what he thought others would like to hear. Also some of the songs, like Bitter End, was written only to please Dave.

Since then, Deryck realized what he wanted to be as a musician, as an artist, and decided to write songs only for himself, didn't matter if others liked them or not. And part of the reason for Dave's departure was Deryck's intention not to write what others requested.

This is how I remember the things. Although I was quite wasted when he opened it up for me, so there's a chance that some of this was only in my head.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

I actually listened to Always a few days ago, but that was the first time in ages. It's a song you tend to forget about, even though it's actually pretty good! As for the singles thing, I too was annoyed at No Reason not being in ATGS.
fuck this signature nonsense
UltraKolby
Hooch

Re: Re:

Post by UltraKolby »

TomiT14 wrote:
UltraKolby wrote:

Can't remember the exact words he used, but he wrote a heavier album because he felt that people expected that from them. He didn't write what he wanted or felt like, he wrote what he thought others would like to hear. Also some of the songs, like Bitter End, was written only to please Dave.

Since then, Deryck realized what he wanted to be as a musician, as an artist, and decided to write songs only for himself, didn't matter if others liked them or not. And part of the reason for Dave's departure was Deryck's intention not to write what others requested.

This is how I remember the things. Although I was quite wasted when he opened it up for me, so there's a chance that some of this was only in my head.
Okay, okay, I got you. I kinda remember someone talking about this a while back. Kinda sucks though, it's my favorite album. So I guess we may never see the Sums play any of these songs live expect for We're All To Blame, Pieces, and sometimes No Reason and Welcome To Hell.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Re: All The Good Sh!t Question

Post by X^2 »

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't go as far as guess that Deryck doesn't like No Reason, I mean they play it quite often and so. I would guess that the songs Deryck thinks of when he talks of Chuck in a non-good way, are ones like "I'm Not the One" or "The Bitter End." Basically the one's they never play. (I also vaguely remember Deryck mentioning his detest for I'm Not the One somewhere..)
As for Some Say, I have no idea.
So I guess we may never see the Sums play any of these songs live expect for We're All To Blame, Pieces, and sometimes No Reason and Welcome To Hell.
Don't forget the epic song called 88!
UltraKolby
Hooch

Post by UltraKolby »

X^2 wrote:I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't go as far as guess that Deryck doesn't like No Reason, I mean they play it quite often and so. I would guess that the songs Deryck thinks of when he talks of Chuck in a non-good way, are ones like "I'm Not the One" or "The Bitter End." Basically the one's they never play. (I also vaguely remember Deryck mentioning his detest for I'm Not the One somewhere..)
As for Some Say, I have no idea.
So I guess we may never see the Sums play any of these songs live expect for We're All To Blame, Pieces, and sometimes No Reason and Welcome To Hell.
Don't forget the epic song called 88!
They only play the ending of that song though :silly:
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

They only play the ending of that song though
Well yeah, but the instrumental parts are the best parts of the song, right? =)
UltraKolby
Hooch

Post by UltraKolby »

X^2 wrote:
They only play the ending of that song though
Well yeah, but the instrumental parts are the best parts of the song, right? =)
My favorite is the middle but still, the ending is pretty awesome!
Jeremy Kill
Re:

Post by Jeremy Kill »

samueeL wrote:Holy shit, just realized it was released 5 years ago. Or well, 4 and ½ but still. Time really flies. Guys, when was the last time you listened Always? Can't remember when was my last time, better give it a listen right now!
Maybe a few weeks to a month ago. I really like the guitar sound on it. The piano after the second chorus is annoying though and the lyrics are pretty weak. Otherwise, it was a nice post-Underclass Hero treat.