Troll Sum 41

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Here we're required to take 3 years of foreign language, but i took 4... 2 in french and 2 in german. I honestly have forgotten them both almost entirely
DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Post by DW_60 »

Peace.
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
carr

Re: Re:

Post by carr »

Gregorovich wrote:
carr wrote:What are the language requirements to complete the A-Levels? (If that is the highest degree of secondary education in the Uk, I'm not sure).
A-levels are English. Up here in Scotland we do Advanced Highers. No language requirement. Same can be said for the year below.

I had only ever heard of A-levels as the highest degree of secondary education and assumed it was for all of the UK, I didn't know they were so different in the respective parts of the UK. Does that mean there is absolutely no language requirement to graduate in Scottish secondary education? I thought at least a few years of one foreign language would be the minimal requirement to receive a diploma.
carr

Re: Troll Sum 41

Post by carr »

X^2 wrote:Huh. I must be different than all y'all since you don't seem to like language-studies. I've studied Swedish (as all Finnish people do), German, Chinese (mandarin), Japanese and of course English. Languages are cool.
No, I love languages as well and think it's quite an important skill to study foreign languages.

I've always thought I had a talent for languages, but when I started to learn Chinese (Mandarin), I realized I only have a talent for Indo-European languages. I would have loved to learn Japanese, it sounds quite elegant to me.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

carr wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
carr wrote:What are the language requirements to complete the A-Levels? (If that is the highest degree of secondary education in the Uk, I'm not sure).
A-levels are English. Up here in Scotland we do Advanced Highers. No language requirement. Same can be said for the year below.

I had only ever heard of A-levels as the highest degree of secondary education and assumed it was for all of the UK, I didn't know they were so different in the respective parts of the UK. Does that mean there is absolutely no language requirement to graduate in Scottish secondary education? I thought at least a few years of one foreign language would be the minimal requirement to receive a diploma.
French between the ages of 8 and 15 is generally a requirement in Scottish schools, but you will never be required to have done and foreign language learning in order to get a degree (other than a language degree, obviously).
fuck this signature nonsense
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

X^2 wrote:Huh. I must be different than all y'all since you don't seem to like language-studies. I've studied Swedish (as all Finnish people do), German, Chinese (mandarin), Japanese and of course English. Languages are cool.
Languages are cool.
Not those you're forced to learn though.
I study Japanese and Chinese (mandarin) as well.
I was supposed to study French but i quit the course like two weeks after realizing what i was getting into :hehe:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

what the heck ? what's up with everyone studying japanese and/or chinese ... I wish I had the chance to do so ... :(
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Re:

Post by Mitchell »

Ardi41 wrote:what the heck ? what's up with everyone studying japanese and/or chinese ... I wish I had the chance to do so ... :(
I've chosen to be more original, I've started learning russian.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Ardi41 wrote:what the heck ? what's up with everyone studying japanese and/or chinese ... I wish I had the chance to do so ... :(
You do have the chance? It's not that you have to have a school for it?
Mitchell wrote:
That gave me an idea, maybe i should invent my own language.
That would be quite original :hehe:

Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

HugoDisasters wrote:
I would think that it's pretty hard to learn that by your own ?
Mitchell wrote:
Stop learning ... go practice fifa :silly:

btw. I like how this thread turned from a sum 41 meme thread into a wild language discussion.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

Ardi41 wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:
Mitchell wrote:
Stop learning ... go practice fifa :silly:

btw. I like how this thread turned from a sum 41 meme thread into a wild language discussion.
MAAANNNN I will whoop your ass when I'm on a good day!
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Ardi41 wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:

It's not hard at all if you really want to study the language.
You can easily do it yourself with online resources. If you also make sure to expose yourself to the language as much as possible you will progress quickly. Most of the times it's up to the individual to actually have the right reason and will to study a language. You can do it, only if you really want to.

I think it's nice we discuss stuff that makes sense once in a while. Most of the times it's just rants or random boring shit going on.

Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

HugoDisasters wrote:
Ardi41 wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:

It's not hard at all if you really want to study the language.
You can easily do it yourself with online resources. If you also make sure to expose yourself to the language as much as possible you will progress quickly. Most of the times it's up to the individual to actually have the right reason and will to study a language. You can do it, only if you really want to.

I think it's nice we discuss stuff that makes sense once in a while. Most of the times it's just rants or random boring shit going on.
Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard. I'm sure most of us have learned english by watching TV etc.
carr

Post by carr »

Gregorovich wrote:
carr wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

French between the ages of 8 and 15 is generally a requirement in Scottish schools, but you will never be required to have done and foreign language learning in order to get a degree (other than a language degree, obviously).
Thanks for the information. It's interesting to see in the face of the Bologna process how everything is supposed to be standartized, yet, the educational systems are so vastly different.
carr

Post by carr »

To all the people here who have studied Chinese (and are not from an Asian language background): Was it easy for you? I enjoyed learning Chinese (in the beginning) but it made me doubt my abilities at first because it was so hard for me. Languages always came easy to me until I started learning Chinese (as my third language in high school). Unlike with other Indo-European language who work within the same system, there was just nothing to fall back on. In addition, I had a very hard time with remembering all the hanzi and I was always bad at drawing and painting and felt like that was a problem. I also had a hard time with the pronunciation because my class mainly consisted of native speakers and I was very self-conscious next to them. It was very frustrating to me that you learn at such a slow pace because it's a symbol system instead of an alphabet system. So am I the only one who encountered massive problems and frustration with Chinese? You all sound really into it.

To the person asking about learning Chinese (talking about learning languages while in school and not paying money to attend a course etc.) , I think it heavily depends on the region you live in. For example, there is often a much wider range for learning different languages in the US than there is in Europe. I am lucky to live in a comparably big city, and there were three schools in my city which offered Chinese and one that offered Japanese (I think American students often have a much wider variety to choose from while otherwise it is often your standard Latin/French/Spanish/Russian). Students from other schools attended these classes too. In my case, there many children of Chinese immigrants as well so if there is a community that speaks that language in your city you might be lucky to have it offered for free in some form in school. Which means if you are from a small, not very diverse town, with only your standard language offering in the local high school, you're stuck with that.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

carr wrote:To all the people here who have studied Chinese (and are not from an Asian language background): Was it easy for you? I enjoyed learning Chinese (in the beginning) but it made me doubt my abilities at first because it was so hard for me. Languages always came easy to me until I started learning Chinese (as my third language in high school). Unlike with other Indo-European language who work within the same system, there was just nothing to fall back on. In addition, I had a very hard time with remembering all the hanzi and I was always bad at drawing and painting and felt like that was a problem. I also had a hard time with the pronunciation because my class mainly consisted of native speakers and I was very self-conscious next to them. It was very frustrating to me that you learn at such a slow pace because it's a symbol system instead of an alphabet system. So am I the only one who encountered massive problems and frustration with Chinese? You all sound really into it.
I do have an Asian background, not linguistically though until lately.
When i begun learning Chinese it felt easier than i thought it would be. I'm not saying it's that easy but it's a language that requires a completely different mindset from what we're use to. Like with the symbols and all shit like that. You'll have to develop a completely new method of how you learn things in order to remember them. I for example use online resources such as http://www.yellowbridge.com and http://www.memrise.com to practice. I especially like Memrise for it's ease of use and that it doesn't bore me to death like regular textbook studies do.

Chinese might be easy for me cause I already had a working study method from when i started learning Japanese which was a few months ahead of my academic Chinese study.

Being frustrated with how you progress is something you should try not to. You should accept being quite useless and be more open minded in how to improve in whichever speed that suits you. 'Cause thats how i think most of the times and it works for me. You'll have to adapt your own method sooner or later though.