Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Brian Diaz

Post by TomiT14 »

One of the most awesome crew members Sum 41 has had. He was a guitar/bass tech for Tom and Cone from the Eastpak Tour 2010 to their tour in Europe in Summer of 2011. When the Sums had to cancel their appearances for the rest of the year, Brian had to find a new band for himself. After touring with Sevendust and Anthrax for a while, he got quite a special invitation from a band he grew up listening to. The whole story can be found at his new blog at http://www.briankeithdiaz.com/.

If you have some spare time in your hands, I really suggest you to read his stories, especially the one about how he got to work for Guns N Roses. I don't usually read any blogs, but I just decided to give this a try, and I was hooked!

I've been lucky to have a chance to meet Brian at Sum 41 shows. Very down to earth, a great guy to talk with. He also made an appearance here at TNS to speak for Deryck, who was being flamed at the time they cancelled their shows last year.
http://theresnosolution.com/forum/viewt ... =4&t=14470

Anyways, I thought Brian and his new blog is worth its own thread. Check it out!
Also, did you notice he did the voiceover for Operation MD's new video? :glad:
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Definately gonna have to check this out! I love blogs, especially ones like these. Once I start reading them, I never stop 'til I've read every single entry 'til the current one. There were nights I couldn't tear myself away from Billy Corgan's Confessions entries on Livejournal. With school in the way, I may have to save most of this for after the first week of December, or else I may just end up neglecting some assignments! Ha. but I look forward to it! Thanks for posting, Tomi.
TomiT14

Re: Brian Diaz

Post by TomiT14 »

Thanks to Mitch for pointing this out.

Brian announced in his blog that he has started to write a book about his experiences throughout his touring life. He's posted a few snippets from what he's got so far, and one of the events takes place in Sum 41's tour bus in the Summer of 2011.

I'm so buying this book when it comes out!

Note: Frank was Sum 41's security guy during their Summer in Europe 2011 tour.
…“Hey Frank, would you fuck her?” asked Stevo, pointing at Rae Dawn on the screen.

“No,” he answered immediately while staring at Stevo with his crazy, wild blue eyes, “I am not liking ze blacks.”

Uh oh. What can of worms did we just take the tin opener to on this one?

“I am not liking ze blacks, ze Chinas, and ze Turkeys,” he elaborates. There’s suddenly a very nervous tension in the lounge as everyone’s eyes start to dart back and forth. With a couple of Jewish guys in the room who knows what’s coming out of this German’s mouth next. Frank then goes on to explain, “Z’ere is ze left and ze right. People are saying normally I am ze right and zis iz okay for me.”

Where I was sitting during this conversation was right outside of the lounge behind a partition that separated the back room from a small table area with a couple of seats. I was close enough to see the television and take part in the conversation, but could easily slide back and hide behind the partition without being noticed, which is exactly what I did as soon as the whole left and right comment came out. This may not mean a lot to some people, but as a brown guy who could be mistaken for a “Turkey” by a giant Nazi-esque German mass of military trained muscle, it was very unnerving. To make matters worse, Dan, who had been taken aback by this as all of us had been, unintentionally stoked the fire a bit.

“Well, what about Diaz? You don’t like him?” he asked.

I could feel the blood drain from my face. Frank peeked around the partition and saw me hiding back there. I felt like Anne Frank being found in that attic, except I was drinking a beer in a tour bus with a Canadian rock band. He stared at me for a few seconds and then sat back down….
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

TomiT14 wrote:Thanks to Mitch for pointing this out.

Brian announced in his blog that he has started to write a book about his experiences throughout his touring life. He's posted a few snippets from what he's got so far, and one of the events takes place in Sum 41's tour bus in the Summer of 2011.

I'm so buying this book when it comes out!

Note: Frank was Sum 41's security guy during their Summer in Europe 2011 tour.
…“Hey Frank, would you fuck her?” asked Stevo, pointing at Rae Dawn on the screen.

“No,” he answered immediately while staring at Stevo with his crazy, wild blue eyes, “I am not liking ze blacks.”

Uh oh. What can of worms did we just take the tin opener to on this one?

“I am not liking ze blacks, ze Chinas, and ze Turkeys,” he elaborates. There’s suddenly a very nervous tension in the lounge as everyone’s eyes start to dart back and forth. With a couple of Jewish guys in the room who knows what’s coming out of this German’s mouth next. Frank then goes on to explain, “Z’ere is ze left and ze right. People are saying normally I am ze right and zis iz okay for me.”

Where I was sitting during this conversation was right outside of the lounge behind a partition that separated the back room from a small table area with a couple of seats. I was close enough to see the television and take part in the conversation, but could easily slide back and hide behind the partition without being noticed, which is exactly what I did as soon as the whole left and right comment came out. This may not mean a lot to some people, but as a brown guy who could be mistaken for a “Turkey” by a giant Nazi-esque German mass of military trained muscle, it was very unnerving. To make matters worse, Dan, who had been taken aback by this as all of us had been, unintentionally stoked the fire a bit.

“Well, what about Diaz? You don’t like him?” he asked.

I could feel the blood drain from my face. Frank peeked around the partition and saw me hiding back there. I felt like Anne Frank being found in that attic, except I was drinking a beer in a tour bus with a Canadian rock band. He stared at me for a few seconds and then sat back down….
id buy the shit out of this book!
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

In case you haven't followed the guy, Brian Diaz is still working with Guns N Roses, but he also re-joined Fall Out Boy for their comeback. And now with a bit bigger role than just a tech. :winkwink:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://distilleryimage7.ak.instagram.co ... 9366_7.jpg[/imgwidth]
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

cool! haven't seen this!