Songwriters

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Songwriters

Post by fergal41 »

I'm just starting this thread to ask for some advice on songwriting. I've been writing songs for around six years now, but recently I've entirely lost the ability to do so. I don't pick up the guitar as much, and generally when I do it's just when I'm sitting at the computer browsing and I plonk away at a few riffs.

What are everyone's preferences for writing? Do you turn everything in the room off and take the time to reflect while coming up with new music? Is there one certain place where you always go to write? I want to hear some tips/techniques cos I'm really at a wall!

Thanks in advance for any replies and/or advice! :happy:
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Re: Songwriters

Post by sprinks41 »

I usually just go with the flow of life, where it takes me is where I end up and along the way if I happen to be hit with an idea, I take it into consideration and possibly even go with it. Basically, I dont really schedule or make time to write a song. I usually make bits and pieces of them here and there and then put the pieces together when I have a chance to sit down and concentrate on them.
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

i usually don't "think up an idea" before i start playing and then figure out how it should sound. i kno some people do it that way. i just sit down every now and then when im bored and just play what ever comes to me, i usually come up with a new riff or catchy hook or groove every time i do it.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

something i like to do with writing songs on guitar is to experiment with different tunings. i enjoy DADAAD (open D5), and CGCGCEb (Open C Minor). a word of advice for the open D5 tuning; the top two A's are the same pitch, meaning you tune your G string up a whole step to A. sometimes with old strings this is too much tension and it'll break, so i go halfstep down on every string making it Db-Ab-Db-Ab-Ab-Db.

also try learning some new chord shapes if you haven't already. Maj7, Min7, Dominant7, Sus chords are nice too.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

I sometimes get a catchy hook in my head randomly and that's usually when i sit down and play with it on guitar and work it out. I feel like I can't ever force myself to sit down and write something that's good, unfortunately. Maybe that's just me though.
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

Sometimes I sit down and actually take the time to write a song and sometimes the idea just comes to me. I always come up with the lyrics first and add the chords later. My old guitar teacher has a blog with tips about playing guitar in general but also about improving your songwriting. This particular article really helped me. http://www.guitarhabits.com/12-keys-how ... #more-4183