To the Scottish fellows out there...

Whatever you want to talk about!
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

To the Scottish fellows out there...

Post by Faeyaner »

I'm doing my study trip to Edinburgh in the mid of september i think.
Any suggestions what a bunch of 18year-olds can do there (we stay about 3 or 4 nights i think)?
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
dommo41
First name: Dominic
Re: To the Scottish fellows out there...

Post by dommo41 »

Edinburgh's great (i've been there once) go on open top bus rides, see the royal mile, walk up the massive hill and eat deep fried mars bars :D
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

I've been living in Edinburgh for the past 6 years, but I've never been as a tourist so I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. There's plenty to do, but it just depends what you like. A couple of suggestions would be a trip down the Royal Mile, visit Edinburgh Castle, and one night you've gotta complete the Rose Street bar crawl. If it's September, the Fringe festival will be over (which is a shame, because it's the biggest arts festival in the UK). The newly re-opened National Museum is worth a good look, as is the National Gallery on Prince's Street (but don't go near the Modern Art galleries. They're undescribably shit). There are some cool shops around the Grassmarket area. If you want weed, go up Cockburn Street (but mind the goths). Or, if you want to get stabbed, best to hang out in Leith.
dommo41 wrote:Edinburgh's great (i've been there once) go on open top bus rides, see the royal mile, walk up the massive hill and eat deep fried mars bars :D
Don't do the bus tours. If it's September, the weather will be shit, in addition to the fact that the tour buses are always terrible. Also, if you want to eat a deep-fried Mars bar, be my guest but your cholesterol will increase by ~300%.

What exactly are you there to study?
fuck this signature nonsense
Faeyaner
Bunkface

Post by Faeyaner »

Studienfahrt (study trip) is just the equivalent to Klassenfahrt (class trip) for seniors.
So to transfer it to the American system (because I don't expect you to understand the German one and I don't know much about the UK). I'm travelling with my then senior-collage-year-class for about 5 days or so, but 2 of them will just be spent in the bus. There's no real study-reason behind this, we could have chosen Prague or Barcelona as well.

Our program has already been made roughly, there's usually one fix point per day with the whole class and some hours free time. I think we will see the castle, the national museum and we drive out to the higlands one day...

So maybe one or two greater attractions and a few insider tipps like bars, festivals, places etc. would be nice :happy:
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Faeyaner wrote:Studienfahrt (study trip) is just the equivalent to Klassenfahrt (class trip) for seniors.
So to transfer it to the American system (because I don't expect you to understand the German one and I don't know much about the UK). I'm travelling with my then senior-collage-year-class for about 5 days or so, but 2 of them will just be spent in the bus. There's no real study-reason behind this, we could have chosen Prague or Barcelona as well.

Our program has already been made roughly, there's usually one fix point per day with the whole class and some hours free time. I think we will see the castle, the national museum and we drive out to the higlands one day...

So maybe one or two greater attractions and a few insider tipps like bars, festivals, places etc. would be nice :happy:
Like I said above, Rose St. is your best bet for bars (a local challenge is to get from one end to the other in a single night, drinking in every bar along the way), but the festivals are largely over by September. If you want to shop, Prince's St, George St. and the two East-end malls are all right in the middle of town, or if you want to just chill go to the Gardens.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Gregorovich wrote:If you want weed, go up Cockburn Street (but mind the goths).
I spent alot of my youth up on Cockburn Street.
[donate][/donate]
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

What's the name of the park/garden beside prince street?? what I saw during my trip was the nationla gallery, the castle, every fucking music store on prince street, st andrews, a mall, arthur's seat (?), a place called camera oscura I think, couple of victorian houses, and a place that kinda looked like athens, i think it was in some kind of mountain/hill can't remember, Edinburgh is great.I want to go bakc there someday.
Last edited by Druska on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Druska wrote:What's the name of the park/garden beside prince street??
Prince's St. Gardens.
Faeyaner
Bunkface

Post by Faeyaner »

Sorry for bumping...

but I'm shippping in sunday morning. Any tips or events from sunday evening to thursday evening next week?
And what's the wheather like?

Our programm so far provides a 3h guided tour in our bus, a tour though the parliament and the castle (maybe the museum of scotland/people's story) and one day out in the highlands.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Faeyaner wrote:Any tips or events from sunday evening to thursday evening next week?
Not really. You've missed the festival.
Faeyaner wrote:And what's the wheather like?
Shit.
Faeyaner wrote:one day out in the highlands.
There's nothing there to see. Like literally. Just grey skies and hills and maybe some sheep if you're lucky.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Re: kind of off topic :P

Post by Ardi41 »

No offense ! I just love that movie and this scene came immediately to my mind when i saw the thread ^^.

BTW going to london on saturday for my study trip :D !