SBM+College Assignment=?

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

IvanzZ
First name: Zack

SBM+College Assignment=?

Post by IvanzZ »

I'm a college freshman this year and for my Rhetoric class I had to do a paper. The professor asked what 5 texts we would put in our backpacks to save and keep with us for the rest of forever. 5 texts that are either the most influential or most memorable to you personally. She considers any work of art to be text, as long as it speaks to us. That includes movies, music, etc. Pretty much anything you can analyze. I picked SBM as one of my five. Here's what I wrote:

Screaming Bloody Murder is the 5th studio album released by Canadian based rock band Sum 41. The band, made up of Deryck Whibley (lead singer, rhythm guitar), Steve Jocz (drums), Jason “Cone” McCaslin (bass) and Tom Thacker (lead guitar), released the album in March of 2011.

I still remember the night I finally came in possession of Sum 41's newest album. It was past midnight and I was still up on my computer waiting for the album to leak online. It was a few days before the actual release day in North America, but it had already been released in Japan. On a large Sum 41 fan-site named theresnosolution.com, there was a member from Japan. He was going to buy the album from his local store and then post it online for all of us. Most of us were dying for an early listen. Finally, it happened. It was like a virtual party on that website. The moderators were forwarding the link to the album to everyone that had been waiting for it. I was probably one of the first fifty people to download it. I had never been so excited about new music.

That is why Screaming Bloody Murder will forever be in my backpack. It was the first record I had ever anticipated with such enthusiasm. Sum 41 is the band that got me into music. Before I followed Sum 41, I was just a casual music fan. I first heard their album Underclass Hero during my freshman year. I was a cyber school student, lonely and distracted, but when I found Underclass Hero and Sum 41, I found something to hold on to. I learned about all the band members and all their albums. I memorized their entire history. They became an essential part of my everyday life as I played that CD over and over. The only reason I didn't select that album to go in my backpack is because I wasn't there for the build-up. I became a hardcore fan after Underclass Hero was already out. I had nothing to anticipate at the time. Until they announced that they were making a new album. I remember when they first announced the title. I remember when I heard the first song, “Skumfuk” which was unofficially released much earlier than the rest of the album. I also remember the disappointments. Screaming Bloody Murder was delayed multiple times and it was four years after Underclass Hero until it was finally released. But I kept waiting. When I heard all of Screaming Bloody Murder for the first time, it was one of the most beautiful things I had ever heard. Punctuated by the emotional and eclectic eleven minute epic “A Dark Road Out Of Hell”, Screaming Bloody Murder succeeded in taking me on a journey. Just as life isn't about just one moment or memory, but a collection of them; Screaming Bloody Murder isn't just about one song. It's about a journey and about finding yourself along the way. As the album approaches its close with the song “Back Where I Belong”, I heard the same drum beat that began the album in the song “Reason to Believe”. As a somewhat lonely high school student, I heard this and realized that it was speaking to me. That someday I would find where I belonged. What mattered now was the journey. Screaming Bloody Murder will always stay with me. After the anticipation. The patiently impatient waiting. The final payoff. It meant something to me, more so than music ever had before. I grew up waiting for that album and I want to grow old listening to it.

Thought you guys might enjoy! Thanks to anyone that took the time to read!
Hoocher
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Bass

Re: SBM+College Assignment=?

Post by Hoocher »

Very well written. Honest and emotional. I enjoyed reading this, well done. I also sympathize with your thought regarding the anticipation of this album. Although I've been a hardcore fan since the release of DTLI? and I've been following the process of both Chuck and Underclass hero, something was different with Screaming Bloody Murder. I was excited, really excited, more than usual for music. The album was released on March 29th, and my birthday is on March 30th, so I took it as a sign :P. I live in Israel and I figured there's no way it will be released here the same as in other countries around the world. So I ordered it online. When I first got it I was thrilled. I literally shut down everything: facebook, phone and closed the door. I gave my first listen to the album a special treat as it was deserved. When drum beat of Reason to Believe began, my mind was literally blown away. It was a great experience which I will always cherish. The wait was somehow both exhausting and fun/exciting. It took me a lot of strength to not listen to any leak or any preview of this album. I only listened to Skumfuck and waited patiently for the rest.

Anyway, enjoyed reading this. :)
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Nice story. Well written.
I just don't really understand how this assignment has anything to do with rhetorics, oh well. Guess the prof. who gave this assignment does. :silly:
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

What did you end up getting for it? I didn't see any grammar errors! lol :razz:
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Even though I'm a massive Sum 41 guy, I still don't think I would choose any of their albums to put in my backpack. Still, nice job. What were your other four 'texts'?
fuck this signature nonsense
IvanzZ

Post by IvanzZ »

X^2 wrote:Nice story. Well written.
I just don't really understand how this assignment has anything to do with rhetorics, oh well. Guess the prof. who gave this assignment does. :silly:
It's basically just a writing class. This was our first major assignment of the semester and my professor is big into creative, personal writing.
Sum41Ant27 wrote:What did you end up getting for it? I didn't see any grammar errors! lol :razz:
I just turned it in today, so I have no clue yet, but I'm hopeful that it will be a good grade.
Gregorovich wrote:Even though I'm a massive Sum 41 guy, I still don't think I would choose any of their albums to put in my backpack. Still, nice job. What were your other four 'texts'?
It was actually 4 or 5 "texts" and because of time restraints, I only did 3 others besides SBM.
Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon (book)
Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind (book)
The Butterfly Effect (movie)

The goal of the assignment was to chose texts that had a positive influence on your life and thinking. I was actually going to use the Godfather pt. 2, but I couldn't really come up with a positive impact on my life from it.

Anyway, thanks for reading!
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

IvanzZ wrote:
The goal of the assignment was to chose texts that had a positive influence on your life and thinking. I was actually going to use the Godfather pt. 2, but I couldn't really come up with a positive impact on my life from it.

I could come up with several , for example the fact that you can only trust yourself (completely), or the fact that the godfather shows how the world really works cos nobody does anything for free and we all have a price.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

IvanzZ wrote:I grew up waiting for that album and I want to grow old listening to it.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Ardi41 wrote:
IvanzZ wrote:I grew up waiting for that album and I want to grow old listening to it.
:holyshit: words of wisdom

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
IvanzZ

Post by IvanzZ »

Druska wrote:
IvanzZ wrote:

I could come up with several , for example the fact that you can only trust yourself (completely), or the fact that the godfather shows how the world really works cos nobody does anything for free and we all have a price.
Those are pretty good ones, though I'm not quite sure how positive they are. If I ever have another similar project, I will use it. It is one of my favorite movies ever.
HugoDisasters wrote:
Ardi41 wrote:
Thanks! :2cool4u:
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

IvanzZ wrote:
Druska wrote:
IvanzZ wrote:

Those are pretty good ones, though I'm not quite sure how positive they are. If I ever have another similar project, I will use it. It is one of my favorite movies ever.
HugoDisasters wrote:
Ardi41 wrote:
Thanks! :2cool4u:
Well it gave a more critical thinking which I think it's positive. Yup, I love the godfather too.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Wow! First off, I would just like to say, thank-you for sharing that with us all! Love reading things such as this. I actually have a Photo Essay assignment to do in one of my courses so I'm thinking of doing it on the band too. (Teacher said you can on musicians.)

Although I may not have listened to the leak of the album, that aside, the way I feel about the album is how your perspective on the album is. I remember feeling those same emotions when I listened to it for the first time. (8 hours straight, too might I add!) I stayed in my room just listening to the album over and over continuously in it's entirety. Like you said about Reason to Believe, I too knew the album was beyond what I ever expected just as I heard the drum beat. I was truly blown away by it, and still am to this day each time I listen to it.

You said your professor is big into creative, personal writing and I think you captured that for sure. Nice job! I wish I could write something so meaning and personal for an assignment on the band. You better get the mark you deserve!
IvanzZ

Post by IvanzZ »

SumGeek wrote:Wow! First off, I would just like to say, thank-you for sharing that with us all! Love reading things such as this. I actually have a Photo Essay assignment to do in one of my courses so I'm thinking of doing it on the band too. (Teacher said you can on musicians.)

Although I may not have listened to the leak of the album, that aside, the way I feel about the album is how your perspective on the album is. I remember feeling those same emotions when I listened to it for the first time. (8 hours straight, too might I add!) I stayed in my room just listening to the album over and over continuously in it's entirety. Like you said about Reason to Believe, I too knew the album was beyond what I ever expected just as I heard the drum beat. I was truly blown away by it, and still am to this day each time I listen to it.

You said your professor is big into creative, personal writing and I think you captured that for sure. Nice job! I wish I could write something so meaning and personal for an assignment on the band. You better get the mark you deserve!
Thank you for your very kind words! :glad:
I got the assignment back. Received a 9.5/10 on it, so I was pretty happy. I had also included a few memorable lyrics from the album and my professor really enjoyed those too.