Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Re: Sum 41 - Exit Song

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

It's such an amazingly effective song. I don't understand why many people dislike it/ find it unnecessary.

The ending is so effective- it actually makes me think that it's Sum 41's last album. :sosad:
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

cladam41 wrote: The ending is so effective- it actually makes me think that it's Sum 41's last album. :sosad:
why's that ? it doesn't sound like it has been adressed to the fans at all ... pretty sure it's about his marriage .
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

Ardi41 wrote:
cladam41 wrote: The ending is so effective- it actually makes me think that it's Sum 41's last album. :sosad:
why's that ? it doesn't sound like it has been adressed to the fans at all ... pretty sure it's about his marriage .
I know that but- it feels like so emotional and dragged out. It's like his final words. They just did that song so well, everything about it is perfect. The song could be like 8 minutes long and I wouldn't even realize because it's so mesmerizing.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

cladam41 wrote:
Ardi41 wrote:
I know that but- it feels like so emotional and dragged out. It's like his final words. They just did that song so well, everything about it is perfect. The song could be like 8 minutes long and I wouldn't even realize because it's so mesmerizing.
i know what you mean .. for me it feels like the most emotional and honest song on the entire album , even though a lot of people don't like it.I can see why though , but still i feel like the album wouldn't be the same without this little song .
and live .. man i don't even wanna start there ;)
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

I love the song. I feel the Screaming Bloody Murder album would be incomplete without it. There's so much emotion in the whole 1:43 that it is. Listening to it just, really gets to me. The live version even more possibly.
Vash15
First name: Daniel
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by Vash15 »

Exit Song is definitely overwhelming, but I can see what people mean when they say it's out of place. It's just that BWIB wraps everything up so nicely, ending where Reason To Believe begins, signifying how Deryck's essentially starting over, it's a great ending, but then there's Exit Song. Thankfully the song more than pulls it's weight. My old man and I were talking about funeral songs the other night and Exit Song was definitely in my top 5 (but so what Happiness Machine).
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Vash15 wrote:Exit Song is definitely overwhelming, but I can see what people mean when they say it's out of place. It's just that BWIB wraps everything up so nicely, ending where Reason To Believe begins, signifying how Deryck's essentially starting over, it's a great ending, but then there's Exit Song. Thankfully the song more than pulls it's weight. My old man and I were talking about funeral songs the other night and Exit Song was definitely in my top 5 (but so what Happiness Machine).
Happiness Machine a funeral song? I don't think the music/melody fits in as a funeral song, nor do the lyrics imo. It's more about having been dead for a while, and now ready start over / move on. I kinda see how you consider it a funeral song, but still I hardly agree.

Sum funeral songs? Exit is a great one, so is So Long Goodbye. But the best of them all, Crash. Definitely Crash.

About Exit Song, at first that was the only song I skipped while listening to the album as a whole. I couldn't understand it. So short, no chorus, just the same chords over and over, no melody, no anything. But after paying attention to the lyrics, I slowly started to like the song. And after hearin the live version on YouTube, I fell in love with it, and now it's one of my favorites of that album. Then again, almost every song is my favorite. :glad:
Jeremy Kill
Sum 41 - Exit Song

Post by Jeremy Kill »

To me, Happiness Machine would make more of a suicide song; something someone would post on their Facebook wall before offing themselves.

As for Exit Song, it's like those little gem songs on an album that you forget about sometimes. It's like the Slipping Away of Screaming Bloody Murder. The majority of people probably won't like it, but if you take time to really listen, it's amazing. Honestly, whenever I listen to Screaming Bloody Murder I actually forget that song exists until it starts up and I'm like, "oh shit yeah, Exit Song!"
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

I think Back Where I Belong wraps up his personal struggle throughout the album. (How it ends with the effects in the beginning- signifying that he is starting over.) But Exit Song is just there for him to realize just one last time what he lost. I think Back Where i Belong/ Exit Song is the perfect wrap-up for SBM. It makes sense musically as it does physiologicly. I never had to take time to "grow to like" or "accept" Exit Song. I loved it from the very beginning. In fact- I dont listen to BWIB without Exit Song. It just makes sense.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

It's strange. At first, I didn't really like Exit Song. Then I was listening to the whole album and went over it again, and it really came across as a finalisation of everything - really as though Sum 41 were saying goodbye to everyone. In my opinion, although really over-produced, Exit Song is the perfect consolidation of the inner struggle expressed throughout (which culminates in Back Where I Belong).
fuck this signature nonsense
Jeremy Kill
Sum 41 - Exit Song

Post by Jeremy Kill »

My favorite Sum 41 albums have all had strange-sounding, eerie closing songs where you're left thinking like, "holy crap, I just listened to that." They have this "end of a journey" feeling to them.

I'm talking about the last part of Hooch, the end of 88 and Exit Song. Anyone else get the same feeling from these songs?
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:My favorite Sum 41 albums have all had strange-sounding, eerie closing songs where you're left thinking like, "holy crap, I just listened to that." They have this "end of a journey" feeling to them.

I'm talking about the last part of Hooch, the end of 88 and Exit Song. Anyone else get the same feeling from these songs?
i was honestly thinking the same thing earlier today while listening to chuck, i believe that sum 41 likes to end softly like everything is finally over and you get closure. its like that on every album except for AKNF just because of P4P(i feel like heart attack ends it pretty well).
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

In most cases I personally prefer a wind down. Sum 41 is really good at doing that.
Vash15
First name: Daniel
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by Vash15 »

TomiT14 wrote:
Vash15 wrote:Exit Song is definitely overwhelming, but I can see what people mean when they say it's out of place. It's just that BWIB wraps everything up so nicely, ending where Reason To Believe begins, signifying how Deryck's essentially starting over, it's a great ending, but then there's Exit Song. Thankfully the song more than pulls it's weight. My old man and I were talking about funeral songs the other night and Exit Song was definitely in my top 5 (but so what Happiness Machine).
Happiness Machine a funeral song? I don't think the music/melody fits in as a funeral song, nor do the lyrics imo. It's more about having been dead for a while, and now ready start over / move on. I kinda see how you consider it a funeral song, but still I hardly agree.

Sum funeral songs? Exit is a great one, so is So Long Goodbye. But the best of them all, Crash. Definitely Crash.

About Exit Song, at first that was the only song I skipped while listening to the album as a whole. I couldn't understand it. So short, no chorus, just the same chords over and over, no melody, no anything. But after paying attention to the lyrics, I slowly started to like the song. And after hearin the live version on YouTube, I fell in love with it, and now it's one of my favorites of that album. Then again, almost every song is my favorite. :glad:
Crash is a bad funeral song, it's too specific. Happiness Machine seems like a good one to me because I see it as looking forward to the afterlife, inspiring more of a "he's moved on to a better place" mood than anything else. If that makes sense...
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

To me Exit-song is a great way to end the album, somehow it makes the album feel more "complete".
About Sum41-funeral songs, I don't think they have one that would fit a funeral. Punk-rock funeral-song should be something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ulXuqAYRdM.

Btw. how do I make URL-link look different? I mean, for example if I want to add a youtube-link to a sum41-song, it'd say Sum 41- Hell Song, instead of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsXasFTAWvadinfinitum? Thanks. (If that karma-thing works I give karma to first one to answer.)
Last edited by X^2 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

X^2 wrote:Btw. how do I make URL-link look different? I mean, for example if I want to add a youtube-link to a sum41-song, it'd say Sum 41- Hell Song, instead of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsXasFTAWvadinfitum? Thanks. (If that karma-thing works I give karma to first one to answer.)

Code: Select all

[url=address]TEXT[/url]
So,

[url=http://sum41.com]Sum 41's Homepage[/url]
Last edited by TomiT14 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

If you want to do it outside this forum where they accept HTML it would be.

<a href="URL Goes Here" target="_blank">What YOU want to appear goes here.</a>
target= part is optional but I like it when it opens a new tab for me so I don't have to middle click.
[donate][/donate]
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Karma to both of you. Thanks. (Though I have no idea whether It worked or not. Haha. That karma-thing is messy.)
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

I wish they would have dragged this song out longer than the less than 2 minute length that it is. Someone else mentioned it could have been 7 minutes long and they would have loved it.

I love the long album closers. My favorite is probably the Jimmy Eat World, "23" to end Futures. It'd be cool to see more of that, imo.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]