Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re: Sum41/SBM Discussion!

Post by Gregorovich »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Most of my friends know about Underclass Hero (but have only listened to one single) and the rest know of and say they enjoyed Chuck. A lot of them probably haven't listened to Screaming Bloody Murder on their own (without my help) due to lack of promotion.
Rock is massive in America and Europe in comparison to Britain for some reason. Over here we listen to Dance and Dubstep, which drives me mental. Most people don't even know who Dave Grohl is (which is a pain in the ass whenever I wear my Rock n' Grohl T-shirt)!
fuck this signature nonsense
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Rock is massive in America and Europe in comparison to Britain for some reason. Over here we listen to Dance and Dubstep, which drives me mental. Most people don't even know who Dave Grohl is (which is a pain in the ass whenever I wear my Rock n' Grohl T-shirt)!
I don't know about central Europe, but here in North (I speak in behalf of Finland and Sweden, though I may be wrong about Sweden.. swedes - feel free to correct),
I barely hear any rock on radio. Metal on the other hand is very popular.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Do you guys have radio stations dedicated to modern rock or anything like that? I'm lucky enough to be in a city that does. Funny enough, I never listen to the radio. I just do CD's. Hah.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

X^2 wrote:
I don't know about central Europe, but here in North (I speak in behalf of Finland and Sweden, though I may be wrong about Sweden.. swedes - feel free to correct),
There is one popular rock channel on the radio in Sweden, but it ain't much of a radio station...

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
41ariley
Bunkface
First name: Alex

Post by 41ariley »

Just thought I'd say if they have split with Island I hope they sign to Hopeless, I love what they do with Yellowcard, they actually promote their bands.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

X^2 wrote:
Well we have two radiostations that play rock, although one only does classics and the only one has the five same songs on repeat. Never heard Sum 41 once, I think the played Blink once like three years ago.
silverdolphin
Hooch
First name: Zee
Instrument 2: Keyboard
Instrument 3: Bass

Post by silverdolphin »

41ariley wrote:Just thought I'd say if they have split with Island I hope they sign to Hopeless, I love what they do with Yellowcard, they actually promote their bands.
Hopeless is a great label, but I hope they sign to Epitaph.
Honestly I think they'll stay independent for now.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

An interesting question came to my mind while i was reading all the stuff about the label.
How exactly does the authority in the band and it's crew work, one thing i know is that Deryck is kind of the headmaster, the one who hires and fires. But other than that, who is responsible for the bands touring, promotion and stuff like that these days?

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

HugoDisasters wrote:An interesting question came to my mind while i was reading all the stuff about the label.
How exactly does the authority in the band and it's crew work, one thing i know is that Deryck is kind of the headmaster, the one who hires and fires. But other than that, who is responsible for the bands touring, promotion and stuff like that these days?
The booking agent would be responsible for the band's touring. They're the ones who schedule the shows with venues along with the band's touring manager. I think the promotion (of the concert) is by the concert promoters. Any other promotion like magazines, television, radio play... etc. I believe is handled through the label.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Jeremy Kill wrote: The booking agent would be responsible for the band's touring. They're the ones who schedule the shows with venues along with the band's touring manager. I think the promotion (of the concert) is by the concert promoters. Any other promotion like magazines, television, radio play... etc. I believe is handled through the label.
I see.
What about promotion now then?

Jeremy Kill
Sum41/SBM Discussion!

Post by Jeremy Kill »

HugoDisasters wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote: The booking agent would be responsible for the band's touring. They're the ones who schedule the shows with venues along with the band's touring manager. I think the promotion (of the concert) is by the concert promoters. Any other promotion like magazines, television, radio play... etc. I believe is handled through the label.
I see.
What about promotion now then?
If they're not with their label anymore then promotion would be handled by the band themselves I would imagine. Like a local band trying to get themselves known. Not necessarily through television or radio, but through social media like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube... etc. kind of like what they already do anyway.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Jeremy Kill wrote: If they're not with their label anymore then promotion would be handled by the band themselves I would imagine. Like a local band trying to get themselves known. Not necessarily through television or radio, but through social media like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube... etc. kind of like what they already do anyway.
Yeah, that makes sense.
Hmm i wonder what would happen if they put some more effort into promotion..
Things might turn out interesting if they do
Last edited by HugoDisasters on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Well Tom told me they stopped working with the label because of the lack of promotion, especially in the US, so yeah, maybe they'll do something about it. Honestly, I don't think they'll need any promotion until their next record. They always do sold out shows in france. Without any promotion !!!
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

182sins wrote:Well Tom told me they stopped working with the label because of the lack of promotion, especially in the US, so yeah, maybe they'll do something about it. Honestly, I don't think they'll need any promotion until their next record. They always do sold out shows in france. Without any promotion !!!
Really? Would be awesome if they made an attempt to give SBM a proper promotion.
It's important to open doors of opportunity even though you only care about the fans or nothing else.

I believe it will be beneficial for everyone, especially for fans (or possibly newer fans) if they step it up with their promotion.

Other than that, where the fuck is the BIME music video?!
Last edited by HugoDisasters on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

HugoDisasters wrote:
182sins wrote:Well Tom told me they stopped working with the label because of the lack of promotion, especially in the US, so yeah, maybe they'll do something about it. Honestly, I don't think they'll need any promotion until their next record. They always do sold out shows in france. Without any promotion !!!
Really? Would be awesome if they made an attempt to give SBM a proper promotion.
It's important to open doors of opportunity even though you only care about the fans or nothing else.
It's too late to promote Screaming Bloody Murder now. It would just be a waste of money to promote an album almost two years old; no one is going to care. Besides, Sum 41 is really more "non-existent" in the Western hemisphere these days because of the lack of touring. If they're still selling out shows in Europe and Asia then people there still know they are around.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

A German site just posted an interview from the Eastpak Tour in 2010. No idea why they posted it 2 years too late.
http://wiefman.podspot.de/post/29072012-sum-41/

It's 7 minutes long, with 6 minutes of German guy asking the questions in German and translating the answers. So there's only like 4 questions asked.

But it had a few new stories. Cone told how they played Guitar Hero in the studio while recording Underclass Hero. Deryck couldn't play it though.
Also, Deryck shared my opinion about how he doesn't see the point of checking the songs and the setlists from YouTube before attending a show. "It's like opening your presents before Christmas", he said.
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Thanks for summing this up Tomi !
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

TomiT14 wrote:A German site just posted an interview from the Eastpak Tour in 2010. No idea why they posted it 2 years too late.

It's 7 minutes long, with 6 minutes of German guy asking the questions in German and translating the answers. So there's only like 4 questions asked.

But it had a few new stories. Cone told how they played Guitar Hero in the studio while recording Underclass Hero. Deryck couldn't play it though.
Also, Deryck shared my opinion about how he doesn't see the point of checking the songs and the setlists from YouTube before attending a show. "It's like opening your presents before Christmas", he said.
These are interesting!
Well, the only reason why I check setlists is to know which songs I'm going to need to know ahead of time to record at a show I'm going to. But adding those songs they have lately would be enough of a surprise like Christmas morning for me!
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

TomiT14 wrote:A German site just posted an interview from the Eastpak Tour in 2010. No idea why they posted it 2 years too late.

They probably got inspired by the four year old live album.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

New interview from Cone and Steve in Prague.
They discussed a bit of the fan interaction they do by bringing fans on stage during a performance, trilogy albums, Travis Barker joining blink-182 for Soundwave, Cone producing. Not any new infrtomation for us, but just thought I'd post it for those interested.