Sick Of Everyone Fullband Cover (Please Review!)

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Sick Of Everyone Fullband Cover (Please Review!)

Post by HugoDisasters »

Hello SKUMFUKS!
I'd like to present a small cover of mine, a fullband cover (no bass? unfortunately not).. which I've recorded and tweaked a bit.

The reason I'm posting this is because I'd like to learn to know what needs to be improved and also want to know what you guys think about it. So basically constructive crticism :happy:

I'm playing Rhythm Guitar & Lead Guitar on this one by the way.
Last edited by HugoDisasters on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Re: Sick Of Everyone Fullband Cover (Please Review!)

Post by Andros »

I think, remove the vocal part on piano, and I think will be sound awesome
jordidanen95
Bunkface
First name: jordi
Instrument 2: piano

Post by jordidanen95 »

awesome cover, your doing it right, even the piano note in the heavy verse.
just work on the beginning of the intro, ....and the ''ohoo ohoo ohoo TUDUDUDUDUDUDU'' PART...it sounds like your having trouble with the guitar....it sounds like your doing up/down....try down stroking only.

other than that i think its great and you know what you're doing!
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

jordidanen95 wrote:awesome cover, your doing it right, even the piano note in the heavy verse.
just work on the beginning of the intro, ....and the ''ohoo ohoo ohoo TUDUDUDUDUDUDU'' PART...it sounds like your having trouble with the guitar....it sounds like your doing up/down....try down stroking only.

Thanks! I actually did downstroke. Maybe the timing got a bit fucked since i noticed i didn't have click while recording that :hehe:

jordidanen95
Bunkface

Post by jordidanen95 »

HugoDisasters wrote:
jordidanen95 wrote:awesome cover, your doing it right, even the piano note in the heavy verse.

Thanks! I actually did downstroke. Maybe the timing got a bit fucked since i noticed i didn't have click while recording that :hehe:
oh, i'm lucky...my piano has a click. and i record that into my program through my studio mic :D. i'm using cubase. what about you?
jordidanen95
Bunkface

Post by jordidanen95 »

here are some samples, i hope you like it :D
Last edited by jordidanen95 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

jordidanen95 wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:

oh, i'm lucky...my piano has a click. and i record that into my program through my studio mic :D. i'm using cubase. what about you?
I use Ableton Live, but have been switching up on programs such as Logic and Cubase as well. I find Ableton Live to fit my "efficient" style.

silverdolphin
Hooch
First name: Zee
Instrument 2: Keyboard
Instrument 3: Bass

Post by silverdolphin »

If you're only playing only guitars in this, that doesn't make this a "full band cover". Just say "dual guitar cover" or "instrumental". It's more honest, IMHO. (Sorry, I just hate it when people play only 1 instrument and put MIDIs then call it "full band" :/ cheaters...)
Anyyyywhoo... The notes that come in @0:48 are too loud and are somewhat harsh. Just lower the volume there and it should fit right in. How did you record and get that thick tone? Especially the intro riff. I like it!
Why didn't you just add the bass from the Guitar Pro tab?
BTW, awesome cover! :)
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Some parts sound kind of stiff/robotic like the riff at the start and at the end, but otherwise it sounds pretty cool.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

I like how it sounds like that Sum 41 song. Good work.
fuck this signature nonsense
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

silverdolphin wrote:If you're only playing only guitars in this, that doesn't make this a "full band cover". Just say "dual guitar cover" or "instrumental". It's more honest, IMHO. (Sorry, I just hate it when people play only 1 instrument and put MIDIs then call it "full band" :/ cheaters...)
Anyyyywhoo... The notes that come in @0:48 are too loud and are somewhat harsh. Just lower the volume there and it should fit right in. How did you record and get that thick tone? Especially the intro riff. I like it!
I'm playing piano at some parts though so not all of them are midi, vocals are by midi as you say.
The drums are done by my friend. So this isn't really non-honest, let's say It's a compromise.
And what's really dishonest in my opinion is to "add the bass from guitar pro" and my sincerely honest opinion about that proposal is that it would probably sound like whale farts. I don't like them, do you? Anyhow thanks a bunch for reviewing my stuff and picking up stuff people maybe don't usually do.

I'm not sure how i got that thick tone, i just improvised with the knobs until i got what i wanted. I'm recording on an Orange Amp if that matters :silly:

HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Some parts sound kind of stiff/robotic like the riff at the start and at the end, but otherwise it sounds pretty cool.
I don't feel very robotic today, one thing that might have caused it might be me not having the click on the end and intro.. I tend to somehow do timing more robotic without click.

silverdolphin
Hooch
First name: Zee
Instrument 2: Keyboard
Instrument 3: Bass

Post by silverdolphin »

HugoDisasters wrote:
silverdolphin wrote:If you're only playing only guitars in this, that doesn't make this a "full band cover". Just say "dual guitar cover" or "instrumental". It's more honest, IMHO. (Sorry, I just hate it when people play only 1 instrument and put MIDIs then call it "full band" :/ cheaters...)
I'm playing piano at some parts though so not all of them are midi, vocals are by midi as you say.
The drums are done by my friend. So this isn't really non-honest, let's say It's a compromise.
And what's really dishonest in my opinion is to "add the bass from guitar pro" and my sincerely honest opinion about that proposal is that it would probably sound like whale farts. I don't like them, do you? Anyhow thanks a bunch for reviewing my stuff and picking up stuff people maybe don't usually do.

I'm not sure how i got that thick tone, i just improvised with the knobs until i got what i wanted. I'm recording on an Orange Amp if that matters :silly:
Good to know!
I don't really like MIDI basses, but after tweaking and adding effects on them, they sound somewhat acceptable to me. I use them in my songs because I don't have a bass (will buy one after 2 months).
Sorry for the rant above :blush:
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

HugoDisasters wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:Some parts sound kind of stiff/robotic like the riff at the start and at the end, but otherwise it sounds pretty cool.
I don't feel very robotic today, one thing that might have caused it might be me not having the click on the end and intro.. I tend to somehow do timing more robotic without click.
Well it's nothing to do with the click, just the way you play the riff. Like the lead, there's parts where the octave note slides from one to the next. Originally, the riff at the very start of the song is constantly picked except for the last note (of the first two bars I believe), which is struck only once. It's just a matter of being able to pick/play faster. Are you used to playing fast without your hand getting tired?
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:
Well it's nothing to do with the click, just the way you play the riff. Like the lead, there's parts where the octave note slides from one to the next. Originally, the riff at the very start of the song is constantly picked except for the last note (of the first two bars I believe), which is struck only once. It's just a matter of being able to pick/play faster. Are you used to playing fast without your hand getting tired?
Oh well, then i think i might have taught myself those parts a bit different than what they are. I kind of never get tired while playing the guitar, at least not for the past two years. Just need to be pumped up and i probably manage playing to Mr. Amsterdam and Master of Puppets all day long :2cool4u:

I'll actually try to take all this feedback you guys been giving me and try some different strategies if i find time doing the rest of ADROOH ;)
silverdolphin wrote: Good to know!
I don't really like MIDI basses, but after tweaking and adding effects on them, they sound somewhat acceptable to me. I use them in my songs because I don't have a bass (will buy one after 2 months).
Sorry for the rant above :blush:
I know a better solution for bass if you need that in your tracks, It's a technique i frequently use myself when my bassist isn't present. Basically what i do is to record the exact bassline on a guitar and then lower the pitch to exactly 12 steps, now you got a rough bass guitar. Probably the closest thing you can get to a real one with just a guitar. Didn't do it on this cover since I'm not really into using that technique when I'm working on somewhat serious projects.
Last edited by HugoDisasters on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.