TNS Interview with Dave Baksh

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Here's the TNS/Sum 41 Finland interview session I promised you. I decided to keep this somewhat professional, asking mainly generic music related questions. Hope you like them!

1. What's up? How have you been?
Hey everyone! I've been great, bad, happy, sad. In other words I have been living a normal life.

2. Have you ever visited Finland before? If so, when was that?
I have been to Finland once and I was served a great meal and a salty cow. No show just press, but I would play there in a second.

3. What have been your favorite countries/cities to play in?
Man everywhere has a special aspect to it. Love comes in many different packages and I've been fortunate to see how many countries show their love.

4. What is your favorite tour memory?
Hmmm. Our spell with Iggy Pop was very memorable, he is a true gentleman and takes his time to listen when people are talking. He is the true essence of a rockstar to me. Cool as hell and not afraid to chat with anyone.

5. What Sum 41 song did you enjoy playing live the most?
I used to love playing Mr. Amsterdam, it reminded me a bit of Sticken in My Eye by NOFX.

6. You left Sum 41 to explore new things with Brown Brigade and Organ Thieves. Now years later, are you happy with how those projects have gone? Has it been different to what you expected?
Happy with the projects yes. I'm sure anyone would have loved to stay in the public eye but coming home was a great wakeup call. Local competition was healthy, inspiring and in full swing when I returned to Durham. I think my ego needed that, I was very cocky in my twenties and needed to be broken. Local guitarists like Derrick from Devoured, Andy from the Jack Rollin Dandies, and even my bandmates from past bands are all part of my new outlook and disposition. Also the days of everything being done for the band are gone, this was a lesson I needed to learn.

7. How was it to work again with Greig Nori? How was it different from the Sum 41 days?
Greig has turned into a production monster. He was poised for a band that could play the ideas that swim in his head. We had not spoken for a while after our exits from camp 41 but I met up with him after a show at the Bovine Sex Club in Toronto. I think we were both impressed by how each other had grown and agreed that our bank accounts needed some tuition money for future family plans. Without Chuck Coles our lead singer in Organ Thieves I don't know if the record would have happened with Nori. They have formed a great friendship and production team.

8. What is your role in the recording/writing process with the Organ Thieves? Does Chuck come up with the most part, or does everyone have their share?
As far as parts I am a musician that is better at enhancing feel and making the artists message more clear. If you're confused I mean that I use tones and frequencies to capture the story that the song is trying to tell. My main role is to provide the icing on the cake. Organ Thieves is a band where no matter which song it is you can break it down to a simple acoustic and it will still be a beautiful song. Chuck is a bullet proof song writer and it's been an awesome journey with him while he grows into a visionary with a medium. Plus I think he reads minds.

9. How would you describe Organ Thieves' music to someone who has never heard of the band? Why should he or she listen to the new record?
If Dub was a spread that came in a jar we bought up all the stock and spread it on every type of music we can write. I've never heard this type of take on traditional rock which is what drew me to the band in the first place.

10. What's up with Brown Brigade nowadays? Do you have any plans to release new music in the future?
Yup we have ended up with BB in the same place we started, we now have access to the things we wanted when we started so now we can go without intervention from anyone.

11. Do you write any songs on your own? If so, do you write lyrics too?
I think every musician should write. My ability to write grows everyday and maybe one day I'll feel comfortable putting out a solo record. As far as writing lyrics my style is based in 70's funk and passes over a lot of heads. A nerd with isolation sickness should not write lyrics.

12. Do you remember the first song you ever learned to play on guitar?
My cousin Vaughn taught me "Caught In A Mosh" by Anthrax.

13. Which guitar is your all-time favorite?
I have been playing a 50's tribute les paul studio for the past little bit.

14. What kind of music do you listen to? Any bands/records you would suggest?
Listen to everything. I've been rocking Syl Johnson ever since a Democracy Now airing had a song of his in a break.

15. Who have been your biggest influences on becoming a musician? Which musicians have you looked up to?
Tom Morello, Jeff Beck, Randy, just a few. There are so many to list.

16. Apart from music, what activities do you enjoy on your everyday life? Any hobbies?
Music. Fifa 12.

17. Thank you for answering! Would you like to say something to the fans?
Thanks for all your support and taking the time to read these answers. Please take this offer of our EP for free up! You can get it here: http://www.organthieves.com

dave

---

Got to love this guy. I sent him these questions today, he answered that he's too busy to answer them now, and he would get back to this later in the week. 2 hours later I found these from my inbox. :glad:
X^2
Billy Spleen

Re: TNS Interview with Dave Baksh

Post by X^2 »

Wow. Great interview! I like how Dave is always so honest and takes his time to really answer the questions.
Thank you Tomi and Sum41 Finland.
dommo41
First name: Dominic

Post by dommo41 »

great interview :D i knew mr amsterdam reminded me of a song i'd heard before and glad to see dave's happy... bet he can't have made much money after sum 41 though :/
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

I really like what I've heard of the band's new single Phoebe, but the damn thing's not available outside the US -_-
fuck this signature nonsense
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

Gregorovich wrote:I really like what I've heard of the band's new single Phoebe, but the damn thing's not available outside the US -_-
want me to send you the mp3?
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

SickofEveryone wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:I really like what I've heard of the band's new single Phoebe, but the damn thing's not available outside the US -_-
I'm in for this too! :silly:
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

SickofEveryone wrote:
Yes please :)
fuck this signature nonsense
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

Gregorovich wrote:
SickofEveryone wrote:
Yes please :)
OKay, I will do it today.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Awesome interview! Cool that we still hear from Dave after all these years :2cool4u:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Always great hearing from Dave! Liked the questions, especially the misc ones. Still haven't listened to their new stuff, will have to do.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Dave Baksh Facebook wrote:Just did an interview with http://t.co/bfy6qStg one of the best sum41 news pages:
http://t.co/0Atwgjpc #organthieves
:D
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Thank you for that itw Tomi ! Had a very good time reading it :)
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Such a nice guy and it's always nice to read interview with quality questions!