Q&A with Dan Moyse

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Q&A with Dan Moyse

Post by Heather »

Huge thanks to Dan for taking the time to answer these questions!

When did you start and what got you interested in playing the drums?

I started when I was 8 years old, 31 years ago,(wow). I had a really great teacher David Schneider from the Music Cellar in Winnipeg for many years. We are still good friends today. After Winnipeg, I took the music program at Grant MacEwan College in Edmonton. I met and played with a lot of great musicians while I was there. After Edmonton, I headed to Vancouver to continue playing and studying music.

How did you come to be the drum tech for Sum41?

I had filled in as a drum tech for Nickelback around 2000, shortly after Greig(Sum 41's former manager) contacted Nickelback to see if they could recommend someone. I got a call while I was golfing in Vancouver. We were playing for $ and I got in shit from my buddies for picking up my ball. I got the gig though, a couple weeks later I flew to LA for the first gig. They forgot to mention the first thing I had to do was pick up the van that had previously caught fire. Interesting first day.

What steps are taken by you to set up for a Sum41 show?

Well, I have been doing production advance as well as monitors and drums, so I start around a month away from the gig and reach out to the local production people that will supply lights, sound, and rental equipment for that day. I have a few things I send out to everyone, stage plot, input list, and rental gear requirements. This changes depending on how much of our own gear we are carrying with us, whether we are on a bus or flying gig to gig. Fast forward a month to gig day. My day usually starts around 11am, we unload the gear from the trailer and set it all up for a 4pm sound check. The band comes in and plays a couple songs, then we are done till showtime. Usually dinner/nap time. Our show would typically start around 10pm so around 8pm I will start making sure everything is ready for the show. This would include: tuning drums, water, towels, set lists, testing in ear monitors, changing batteries and mixing drinks. 15min before the show we will usually gather for a pre show shot of Jack or Goose then away we go. During the show I am behind the monitor desk. After the show we take about an hour to pack everything up. Then its Miller time!

What personal preferences does Stevo have for his drum set?

Steve has a pretty normal drum setup. He uses Nashua 300 duct tape to tape his hands together when they start falling apart, I need to have a bunch of that around. Also towels/water/booze nearby. I write the days set list on his snare drum for him in Sharpie. I need to make sure it is accurate. There have been a couple awkward moments when I forgot to make a change, which there a lot of, usually minutes before the show starts.

What is the most common adjustments made to set ups from venue to venue?

The gear setup mainly stays the same day to day, The biggest challenge comes when we use all rental gear. Some countries are more difficult than others. Some local crews are easier to deal with than others. Hands down the easiest place to tour is Japan. They really have their shit together over there!

What is the main function of the monitoring systems during a show?

Sum 41 uses in ear monitors. Each guy has a set of custom molded ear buds made by JH Audio. They sound amazing! Think of your white iphone buds times a thousand! Each guy has a different mix which I control from side stage.

What steps are taken for the transportation and renting of gear?

If we are on a bus, generally we haul a trailer with the gear. Otherwise, I co ordinate shipping through a transportation company. We have a gear list called a Carnet that is essential for getting our gear in and out of foreign countries. If we need to rent some gear for a show, I take care of that long before we get there with my production advance.

What would you say has been the biggest change in Stevo's or Sum41's set up and live sound over the years?

In the early years, Steve had a double bass setup, now he uses a double pedal. We added a piano for Brown Tom a few years ago. Deryck is very particular with how the sound is out front. Since he produces and records the records, he knows exactly how he wants it to sound so he works closely at sound check with our front of house audio guy.

What are your thoughts about Sum41's "Blood In My Eyes" being nominated for a Grammy?

It's about time! Great riff in that song. The whole record is amazing. I believe it really is the best offering to date.

What are your top Sum41 songs?

Pieces is an amazing song, but I celebrate the entire catalogue! Love the fast stuff, Stevo is an amazing drummer to watch every night. I never get tired of watching this band perform.

You've become quite well known in the Sum41 fan community, what do you think of that?

I am truly honored to have spent a decade working for Sum 41, not only is the music awesome but so are the band guys. It's really cool to see them grow as human beings. I have a lot of respect for them. We are like family and have a great time touring together. I think it's pretty cool when I get recognized by the fans, they are the best!
DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Re: Q&A with Dan Moyse

Post by DW_60 »

Nice ! Merci Dan Moyse
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Thanks for sharing! The Q&A was really interesting to read. Dan gave a lot of detail. It's good to know what goes on behind the scenes before a show. A lot of effort gets put into the setup to give the best live show possible.

Also liked the random questions such as favourite songs, ect.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this with us! :happy:
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

yes indeed, Heather. thank you, that was quite an interesting read.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

Nice job! Thank you!
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Thank you Heather ! Very nice interview indeed :)
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

It was quite interesting that thing about ear monitors, isn't there some sort of metronome in those ear monitors too or am i just making my mind up?
Last edited by HugoDisasters on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Thanks Heather! Great interview.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

HugoDisasters wrote:It was quite interesting that thing about ear monitors, isn't there some sort of metronome in those ear monitors too or am i just making my mind up?
I think Steve's might have that. Pretty sure he uses one in the studio headphones so he may turn it on for certain songs live or something.I think the other guys just have the various mics at different levels in their monitors. I could ask Dan if you want to know more.

Glad y'all like the interview!!
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

it's commonplace for studio engineers to have the band play to a click track, that way fixing errors are easier, because the song is uniform. i have yet to hear of someone who uses a metronome live, and if they do use it, it would have to be in all members ears. why? say if a song starts with guitar, how will he know if the tempo is 124 or 134 without metronome? Steve may use a metronome, but i've noticed that he counts the band in with his sticks to start many songs.

personally i think when playing live, a band shouldn't bother with a metronome (if they are well rehearsed) that way the performance is more organic.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

I think it's interesting that he likes SBM the most. I am beginning to enjoy that record a lot.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Dan Moyse went to Grant MacEwan?! I went to Grant MacEwan! It's Grant MacEwan University now, but that's cool. Thanks for the interview Heather!
Big Sean wrote:I think it's interesting that he likes SBM the most. I am beginning to enjoy that record a lot.
Seems like the general consensus from Sum 41's entourage is that Screaming Bloody Murder is their best work. I hope the band puts out at least another two albums because I'm interested to see where they go next with their sound.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Thanks for that interview Heather! Was very interesting to read :D