King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Re: Sum41/SBM Discussion!

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

Social Distortion wrote:
Dave will come back and they will tour with Deryck just singing!
anyone able to pass the idea to the sums? been thinking 'bout it for the last few years
lol at this idea, I just hope it regards Deryck, or being at the Grammy's. Not necessarily performing. Would be cool to wish for an EP (lol) or a Grammy's win/performance but it just won't happen, not a big enough band anymore, not motivated enough atm. I'm a realistic pessimist, and it suits me down here firmly planted on the ground. But if i'm proven wrong I'll eat my words, i'll borrow a camera and film me writing this on paper and consequently eating it.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Social Distortion wrote:
anyone able to pass the idea to the sums? been thinking 'bout it for the last few years
look dude , dave is gone , get over it, he's been gone for how long 5-6 years?
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Druska wrote:
Social Distortion wrote:
Although Dave was with the Sums for 10 years, the fans got into them not earlier than 2000, so we had the chance to enjoy his presence for 6 years. But also, it's been 6 years since Dave left, so for fans Sum 41 has been without Dave more than with him.
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

TomiT14 wrote:
Druska wrote:
Social Distortion wrote:
Although Dave was with the Sums for 10 years, the fans got into them not earlier than 2000, so we had the chance to enjoy his presence for 6 years. But also, it's been 6 years since Dave left, so for fans Sum 41 has been without Dave more than with him.
i hate always seeing people say "Sum 41 sucks without Dave" and stuff along those lines. Its been like 6 years and all people can talk about is Dave
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

I can kind of understand the people who always talk about Dave anyway, especially cause the time now when nothing is happening around Sum 41 we just sit and reflect about past things instead of having something to look on for onto the future, and the biggest thing just happens to be that Dave left the band.

I mean no more browniness? NO MOAR?!?!?!

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

SBMurder wrote:i hate always seeing people say "Sum 41 sucks without Dave" and stuff along those lines. Its been like 6 years and all people can talk about is Dave
This. Youtube comes to mind in particular.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

I think the band was better with Dave in the band, but i'm not sure if it was because of him, i just like the old albums more.
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

I don't like how Tom's guitar sounds live and I don't like how he doesn't really get into the songs like Dave. He just does what he is suppose to do, nothing special. I think he sucks.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

SickofEveryone wrote:He just does what he is suppose to do, nothing special. I think he sucks.
You just post here like you're supposed to, with nothing special to say. Therefore you suck at posting.

Come on! He might not be as talented as Dave, but he sure is a hell of a guitarist. To actually suck he should play the songs worse than they're supposed to, right?

Yes, his guitar sound was awful in 2007-2009. But after they came back from the studio, his live sound has increased significantly. I actually prefer Tom's current sound over Dave's.

Tom has said that he doesn't want to go all crazy with the songs. Even though he replaced Dave, he doesn't want to step into his shoes. Just like he doesn't want to talk much in the interviews, he doesn't want to show off in the shows either.

If he did show off, I'm sure you would be complaining that "he tries too hard to be better than Dave".
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

On a completely different topic, is it just me who wonders why Deryck stopped writing political songs? It seems like they just jumped on the hating Bush bandwagon and then stopped caring when Obama took office.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Emil wrote:On a completely different topic, is it just me who wonders why Deryck stopped writing political songs? It seems like they just jumped on the hating Bush bandwagon and then stopped caring when Obama took office.
Cause he actually likes obama.
Besides, they released 1 album after obama got elected.

@sickofeveryone have you ever seen Dave jump off a p.a. Speaker? Or perform in a nurse costume?
Well, I've seen Tom do it.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

blackhawk1105 wrote: @sickofeveryone have you ever seen Dave perform in a nurse costume?
THIS.
As to the political thing, I have a feeling the next album will have the same political tinge that UH did, even if in a different way. To be honest, Sum 41 have never been about politics and Bush was really just happened to be around at a time where the band had run out of other people to criticise.
fuck this signature nonsense
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Progression sucks. Get used to it. Not every band progresses the way you'd like. Chances are, Dave probably couldn't have kept them from the route they have taken. Deryck would still write an album about his breakup, or whatever bullshit was written out on paper for SBM. Sum 41 probably still would have tried to go to a more commercial route after Chuck, and the band probably still would have fizzled whatever popularity they still had within the mainstream market.

I think Tom is more than a decent replacement for Dave. I just wish they'd include him as an actual band member. It seems so stubborn to not include him.

What would Dave bring to Sum 41 over Tom? Is it the guitar solos that people love THAT much? Do you really think he'd have THAT much creative influence, when apparently Deryck writes everything these days?
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

I honestly think that the reason they gave up the politics-oriented lyrics shown on UH, was because the lyrics in those particular songs (March of the dogs etc.) were kinda bad..
Political lyrics clearly isn't where Derycks skills as a poet are finely expressed.
Some may disagree, but the lyrics were, at least in my opinion, quite juvenile - and don't even come close to those of some renowned bands that usually write political songs.
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

Have you guys ever seen Tom play behind is head? Do a guitar sweep or tap? Dave did that all the time.

When I said he sucks I meant he sucks at not doing anything special or anything to stand out from another guitarist. He just seems like he doesn't fit in the band.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Emil wrote:On a completely different topic, is it just me who wonders why Deryck stopped writing political songs? It seems like they just jumped on the hating Bush bandwagon and then stopped caring when Obama took office.
well do you really think a political song would fit into the screaming bloody murder album ?
X^2 wrote:I honestly think that the reason they gave up the politics-oriented lyrics shown on UH, was because the lyrics in those particular songs (March of the dogs etc.) were kinda bad..
Political lyrics clearly isn't where Derycks skills as a poet are finely expressed.
it was not just Underclass Hero .. they have been writing political songs all the time like "still waiting" , "moron" etc.
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Ardi41 wrote:
X^2 wrote:I honestly think that the reason they gave up the politics-oriented lyrics shown on UH, was because the lyrics in those particular songs (March of the dogs etc.) were kinda bad..
it was not just Underclass Hero .. they have been writing political songs all the time like "still waiting" , "moron" etc.
Deryck's skills as a poet really aren't that great to begin with. I've said it a million times... he doesn't have the greatest lyrical skills. They're just so simple and obvious. Compare them to other lyricists and his just seem... not very great.

The opening line of "Still Waiting" just kills me every time, and then they repeat it throughout the song because it's apparently the chorus.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Big Sean wrote:
Ardi41 wrote:
Deryck's skills as a poet really aren't that great to begin with. I've said it a million times... he doesn't have the greatest lyrical skills. They're just so simple and obvious. Compare them to other lyricists and his just seem... not very great.

The opening line of "Still Waiting" just kills me every time, and then they repeat it throughout the song because it's apparently the chorus.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Anybody heard the stuff about the grammy and that video up on GlobalTV?

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

HugoDisasters wrote:Anybody heard the stuff about the grammy and that video up on GlobalTV?
Yeah, I'm uploading it right now. When it's done, you can find the link in The Deryck Thread.