Deryck's Interview with Kerrang!

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Re: Deryck's Interview with Kerrang!

Post by SickofEveryone »

Noreason757 wrote:
SickofEveryone wrote:
Noreason757 wrote:how about we all make a video telling deryck to get better and maybe a message along with it, send it to me ill put it all together and put it on youtube and he would be able to see that without giving it to him in person, and for those who cant make a video but can do the card thing you could do that and when the cards finished take a pic and send it to me and i would put it at the end of the video. does that sound good?
I say no. A video for me is too hard to do with my pc and internet and video camera. You could just use a picture of us..?
yeah if you cant do a video you could jst send a picture of you holding a message or something that would work too.
If that's good enough, then go ahead! :2cool4u:
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Noreason757 wrote:how about we all make a video telling deryck to get better and maybe a message along with it, send it to me ill put it all together and put it on youtube and he would be able to see that without giving it to him in person, and for those who cant make a video but can do the card thing you could do that and when the cards finished take a pic and send it to me and i would put it at the end of the video. does that sound good?
if you're serious about making a video for everyone, make a new thread explaining how to submit their entry
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

well, I hope he gets well soon, but I think I actually would prefer hearing Sum 41 with Deryck sitting on a stool, cause with the energy he talks about they only manage to last like 50 minutes, and they're still nowhere near the amount of energy that The Hives or System Of A Down or Rage Against The Machine or many other bands can show ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Jeremy Kill
Deryck's Interview with Kerrang!

Post by Jeremy Kill »

He can't really (and doesn't really) jump or run on stage already anyway.
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Personally, I think that Deryck may be making a mistake by not doing sets playing on a stool.

What's so wrong with just playing an acoustic show and just having a slow, settled down mood. Sure, you don't want to play Fat Lip electrically on a fucking stool, I completely understand that... but Sum 41 does have some slower tracks, and they definitely have some songs that you pull out your stupid lighter, your stupid cell phone, and waive it in the air...

My point is, if he wants to make some money, or even if he just wants to keep his bands name out there, to keep his fans happy... I'd suggest sitting on a fucking stool and playing, at the very least, an acoustic style set. He wouldn't even need to be holding a guitar. Someone else could do the damn guitaring, I'm sure.

I think that fans would prefer to have the opportunity to see Sum 41 at a bit of a slow, less awesome pace than to not have the opportunity to see them at all.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Raku
Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Post by Raku »

Good for Deryck, I would prefer he get some rest than keep pushing himself to be a cripple... Who knows, we might get some new music out of this? =D
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

Jeremy Kill wrote:He can't really (and doesn't really) jump or run on stage already anyway.
Well for some songs he does jump and run a bit but for the majority probably not
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

They should at least do something now, if he's not gonna go on a tour at all, try to finish some unreleased songs from other albums and get them out for the fans.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

I tried to find the Kerrang issue, but they don't have it here yet. Instead, I found this from the previous issue.
Nothing special, but I thought it was kinda nice.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/ ... ang001.jpg[/imgwidth]

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/ ... ang004.jpg[/imgwidth]
stevo32
Billy Spleen
First name: Alessio

Post by stevo32 »

FuckT41182 wrote:well, I hope he gets well soon, but I think I actually would prefer hearing Sum 41 with Deryck sitting on a stool, cause with the energy he talks about they only manage to last like 50 minutes, and they're still nowhere near the amount of energy that The Hives or System Of A Down or Rage Against The Machine or many other bands can show ...
Sum 41 live is pure energy, there's no discussion on this point.
I'm my worst enemy
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

stevo32 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:well, I hope he gets well soon, but I think I actually would prefer hearing Sum 41 with Deryck sitting on a stool, cause with the energy he talks about they only manage to last like 50 minutes, and they're still nowhere near the amount of energy that The Hives or System Of A Down or Rage Against The Machine or many other bands can show ...
oh yes there is, there just is, and I also offered the examples ... I've seen The Hives live last year and they rocked more than Sum 41, longer, more energy and the show as a whole was more interesting ... and they weren't even headlining the festival ... I have also been present at a festival in my country where Sum 41 were the HEADLINERS of the day number two and they still only played for like 50 minutes

Sum 41 are good live, but not by far the best
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

TomiT14 wrote:I tried to find the Kerrang issue, but they don't have it here yet. Instead, I found this from the previous issue.

[img]
Cool. Sum 41 is kind of stuck in this purgatory in music where they aren't a one-hit wonder, but they aren't big enough to be critically acclaimed. It's pretty much the same place Green Day was in during the albums after Dookie up until American Idiot.
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle

Post by SBMurder »

FuckT41182 wrote:
stevo32 wrote:
oh yes there is, there just is, and I also offered the examples ... I've seen The Hives live last year and they rocked more than Sum 41, longer, more energy and the show as a whole was more interesting ... and they weren't even headlining the festival ... I have also been present at a festival in my country where Sum 41 were the HEADLINERS of the day number two and they still only played for like 50 minutes

Wouldnt it all be opinions on who is better?
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

TomiT14 wrote:I tried to find the Kerrang issue, but they don't have it here yet. Instead, I found this from the previous issue.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/ ... ang001.jpg[/imgwidth]

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/ ... ang004.jpg[/imgwidth]
Love what Matthew said about The Sums. So true. Couldn't of said it any better myself. Finally someone who understands us Skumfuks, haha.
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Jeremy Kill wrote: Cool. Sum 41 is kind of stuck in this purgatory in music where they aren't a one-hit wonder, but they aren't big enough to be critically acclaimed. It's pretty much the same place Green Day was in during the albums after Dookie up until American Idiot.
I can agree with that.

I don't know what it'll take for Sum 41 to push themselves to the next level again. I don't know if they need to search for a new label, to search for a new way of writing music, to call x former member up again and patch shit up, to rewind time 10 years and write 50 more songs during the AKNF sessions and magically bring them back today.... who knows what they really need to do.

Personally, I think they could start by getting Deryck healthy, and figuring out what they want to be as a band. They had progression going, but they fucked that progression up on UH. SBM seemed to be somewhat of a crossroad record to me... you had so many different styles on it, and the only real "clear" theme about the record was in the lyrics. It had songs that sounded like they could be from DTLI? (Jessica Kill), and then they had songs that sounded like they were ripped from some random indie-rock band (Baby You Don't Wanna Know - note, I'm not saying it's bad... just saying that it is a complete contrast). They need to figure out what they want to do.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
stevo32
Billy Spleen
First name: Alessio

Post by stevo32 »

FuckT41182 wrote:
stevo32 wrote:

I didn't say that they're the best live band in the world , but their shows are energetic shows this is the point. So Deryck can't play a show sitting on a stool.
I'm my worst enemy
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

SBMurder wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
stevo32 wrote:

No.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

I know you won't probably agree with me, but the sums doing acoustic more intimate shows would be awesome

proof
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle

Post by SBMurder »

FuckT41182 wrote:
SBMurder wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
stevo32 wrote:

No.
I would assume having a favorite band live is your opinion for the best band live
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

SBMurder wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
SBMurder wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
stevo32 wrote:

No.
I would assume having a favorite band live is your opinion for the best band live