Sum 41 Cancel All Kerrang! Tour Shows

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
kevin5064
Hooch

Re: Sum 41 Cancel All Kerrang! Tour Shows

Post by kevin5064 »

MetalMilitant41 wrote:
kevin5064 wrote:maybe he just didn't like the idea of co-headlining with another band lol
Haha, I don't think that's it. But maybe due to the fact that it is a twin headlining tour, the shows would've been more energetic than just a Sums show. Kind of like a competition between NFG and Sum 41. This is what I've noticed when a tour is promoted with two headliners like this one. Maybe the idea of having such energetic shows put them off this tour, not saying they wouldn't be as good at other shows, but I've noticed bands in situations like this try to upstage each other and pull more risks. Maybe the doctors were worried about that and wanted him to skip and have more time to recover. Or much more likely is that he's just not healed yet.
well hey, we are talking about the guy who won't let his band members contribute to the writing process here :winkwink:
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

kevin5064 wrote:
MetalMilitant41 wrote:
kevin5064 wrote:maybe he just didn't like the idea of co-headlining with another band lol
Haha, I don't think that's it. But maybe due to the fact that it is a twin headlining tour, the shows would've been more energetic than just a Sums show. Kind of like a competition between NFG and Sum 41. This is what I've noticed when a tour is promoted with two headliners like this one. Maybe the idea of having such energetic shows put them off this tour, not saying they wouldn't be as good at other shows, but I've noticed bands in situations like this try to upstage each other and pull more risks. Maybe the doctors were worried about that and wanted him to skip and have more time to recover. Or much more likely is that he's just not healed yet.
well hey, we are talking about the guy who won't let his band members contribute to the writing process here :winkwink:
Didn't Tom Help write SBM
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

fergal41 wrote:I don't even have words to describe how pissed off I am. I had tickets for both dates, but that's pretty much secondary. Deryck is 31 and he's been cancelling what is essentially his only source of decent income and putting his professional reputation at risk for the better part of five years now because of a health problem he has. He's young and a millionaire, with access to probably some of the best doctors in the world, and he can't get the problem fixed. Yet any time he's seen in public he's partying or going to night clubs. My dad is fifty fucking five and he has to get a part of his spine removed next month. Don't get me wrong, I know how horrible back problems can be. And my dad can be up and moving one day and then he can't get out of bed for a week right after that. However, he isn't a millionaire and doesn't have access to private medical care yet he's still getting it sorted.

I'm not calling bullshit on Deryck - I really do believe his back is fucked up. But for fuck sake, get it fixed for everyone's sake.

Pissed off Sum 41 fan
I don't know about your knowledge of spinal injuries but they are one of the worst to fixed and are never really cured so unless you are a Doctor your post is void.
[donate][/donate]
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

fenderrocks wrote:He is currently doing yoga and other therapy exercises which have helped the situation.
Good to know, though I'm not sure how his drinking habits are during his days off from touring. If he's still drinking then wouldn't that just make all the yoga and therapy pointless, if not, just make the recovery process slower?

Unfortunately I think if Deryck is to ever get to 100%, he needs to change his lifestyle. As much as I would like to promote the "just let him have fun" argument that was used in the past, I'm not so sure continually canceling tours and the like will be much fun for anyone if this back thing keeps up.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

They should release a final EP and call it quits at this point. Deryck really doesn't seem like the kinda guy that is going to do everything in his power to get better.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Tyler. wrote:Deryck really doesn't seem like the kinda guy that is going to do everything in his power to get better.
i don't quite like this statement. of course he doesn't SEEM that way, he doesn't want people to know he's suffering. i think back to the note Brain posted and we obviously don't know the whole story, but if Deryck really wants to get better they should do an acoustic tour like foo fighters did about ten years ago. it wouldn't be as strenuous and they'd still be able to tour. granted it wouldn't be as energetic, but its better than letting fans like us getting in grumbles over cancelled tour dates.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Well he isn't going to stop partying until he's dead, I think he's a vegetarian as well? It's not the healthiest diet to have lol, but I won't criticise him for that. He's one of my favourite artists, it's not like I hate him or want him to change his ways. He's just never gonna get better smoking, drinking jack and eating frozen pizza and partying. I just mean, it doesn't look like he would ever give up his lifestyle to get better, really turn himself around, and do a real full tour again.

It's not exactly the best way for a band to function either. Cone and Tom could've had more spare time to be doing their own thing for ages, could've planned out some mini-tours or studio time but they had to plan for this tour, I wouldn't exactly be happy about having this happen to me because of one person in the band. I know it sucks, but I'd rather just know I have nothing planned with the band at all so I could work on my own thing. What's Stevo even doing at the moment anyway? I'm sure he wants to be out playing music.

Wouldn't mind the acoustic thing either...
Last edited by Tyler. on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Back injuries are the worst.. I never fully recovered from the last time I had surgery.. It took me 3 years before I could walk without being in pain all the time
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:
fergal41 wrote:I don't even have words to describe how pissed off I am. I had tickets for both dates, but that's pretty much secondary. Deryck is 31 and he's been cancelling what is essentially his only source of decent income and putting his professional reputation at risk for the better part of five years now because of a health problem he has. He's young and a millionaire, with access to probably some of the best doctors in the world, and he can't get the problem fixed. Yet any time he's seen in public he's partying or going to night clubs. My dad is fifty fucking five and he has to get a part of his spine removed next month. Don't get me wrong, I know how horrible back problems can be. And my dad can be up and moving one day and then he can't get out of bed for a week right after that. However, he isn't a millionaire and doesn't have access to private medical care yet he's still getting it sorted.

I'm not calling bullshit on Deryck - I really do believe his back is fucked up. But for fuck sake, get it fixed for everyone's sake.

Pissed off Sum 41 fan
unless you are a Doctor your post is void.
Simply untrue, and I'm not going to bore everyone explaining why I have a substantial knowledge of spinal injuries or why the fact that I'm not a doctor doesn't void my post.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Tyler. wrote:Well he isn't going to stop partying until he's dead, I think he's a vegetarian as well? It's not the healthiest diet to have lol, but I won't criticise him for that.
He does also eat fish, so he actually has the healthiest possible diet I can think of...

I do hope he has been writing songs though. And I could see him recording acoustic album at this point, maybe even solo record? I mean he has said that he does have... let's say ~7-8 acoustic songs. And that was in 2010, so he probably has written more.
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

I am gutted but I've had sore back pain once or twice and you seize up after being in bed and can't get up easy, it's really horrible and painful, a back injury must be even worse, just awful.

Just hope he recover's to full health soon but as some have said it is one of those things, it can re-occur's easy, he must have not taken enough time off.

Get well soon Deryck, dying to see SBM Tour Live whenever possible. I don't want Sum 41 to call it a day, judging from "Screaming Bloody Murder" they're getting better every time, the production of that album is great, drums, vocals, everything, Sum 41 forever !