Blink 182 Discussion Thread

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
KingofBillySpleen
First name: Jared
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Vocals
Last.fm Username: None

Re: Blink 182 Discussion Thread

Post by KingofBillySpleen »

for some reason when i downloaded it, Love Is Dangerous was messed up and ended in the middle of the song and I didn't get Fighting the Gravity or Even if She Falls. Re-Downloaded and fixed it and listening to the album in it's entirity. It's really good. Snake Charmer and Love Is Dangerous(The Part I Heard) are really the only songs I dislike on the album. Tom's voice is great on all the songs though. Mark is featured more than he was on the self-titled.
Jesus Christ Supermarket
Hooch
First name: Scott

Post by Jesus Christ Supermarket »

It's pretty bad. Some of the experimentation is kinda interesting and production on the instruments is quite good... but that's it. Some familiar blink-friendly riffs, but it's drowned with terrible over-autotuned voices ("each and every yeeeeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr") and pretentious lyrics (stop livin in the shadow of a helicopter!). Only a couple times I felt like it had some classic blink-angst and nostalgia, like Kaleidoscope... but the vocals are so terrible. If they fucking turned down the autotune and Tom stops using that dreadful hollering he calls a singing voice, it would've been a great song. Other songs like "Up all Night" sound so boring and uninspired, the chorus for example... (They keep me up all....... night) it sounds so goddamn monotone. As for the structure, I didn't really care for their 2003 album, but at least it's consistent and coherent. It begins with a simple anthem and as the album progresses it develops into more of a experimental distorted blink sound. That's why that album worked... This album on the other hand is aimless so the experimentation just comes of as clumsy and overall doesn't add anything to the song so it becomes pretentious and rendundant. Even accepting the fact that blink will probably never go back to their roots, it's still not a good album. Just wasted potential really. [sarcasm]Of course as long as Rolling Stone and AllMusic gives it four stars I guess that means it's a good album...[/sarcasm]

While not horrendous, I still probably won't listen to it again."Neighborhoods" is a fucking awful title too and the cover looks like it's for a one hit wonder 80's new wave band. If I had to pick a song I liked, I would probably choose Mh.4.18.2011 or Kaleidyscope, but they're are so flawed I really wouldn't call either of them good.
Last Listened to:
Radiohead- Amnesiac
9/10
Favorite song: Pyramid Song/ Knives Out
Jesus Christ Supermarket
Hooch
First name: Scott

Post by Jesus Christ Supermarket »

Not a double post.
Last edited by Jesus Christ Supermarket on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last Listened to:
Radiohead- Amnesiac
9/10
Favorite song: Pyramid Song/ Knives Out
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I wasn't big on the album name or cover either. I really enjoy Natives, but Mark's voice on that song bugs me. In fact, it seems like the best parts of most of their songs are the verses rather than the chorus.
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

I don't hear a lot of autotune on this album, at least I'm pretty sure there's none at the beginning of this is home !
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

3 and a 1/2 days left.

I think I'm going to have to go buy the album then go to work for 7 hours before I go home and listen to it O.o
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I wasn't big on the album name or cover either. I really enjoy Natives, but Mark's voice on that song bugs me. In fact, it seems like the best parts of most of their songs are the verses rather than the chorus.
Agree all the way.
Filespit
Bunkface
First name: Peter

Post by Filespit »

I got really sceptical when I first heard Up All Night, and my expectations suddenly got rather low. Heart's All Gone and After Midnight didn't really get me that excited either, but now when I've heard the whole album I can honestly say I'm positively surprised. Although I was hoping for an Enema-type of album, this does work as well. Was it worth the wait? Hard to say, but I'm not complaining.

Favorite song: Wishing Well, it reminds me the most of the old Blink (Enema/Take Off-era)
hellsong41
First name: Chris

Post by hellsong41 »

Hey, did any of you see this guy's Up All Night cover? No one seems to like the song since it's too similar to AVA, but this guy recorded it how Blink 182 might have done it before the split.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn4kmfjYR1I
Believe me, it's alright.
It's so easy after all...
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

hellsong41 wrote:Hey, did any of you see this guy's Up All Night cover? No one seems to like the song since it's too similar to AVA, but this guy recorded it how Blink 182 might have done it before the split.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn4kmfjYR1I
yup, it has been already posted, I think it's awesome.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

I finally listened to the album!!! My favourite parts are the weird trippy things they've done like the end of Snake Charmer I think it is, and some other ends of songs. I'd give it an 8.5/10 on first listen probably. My favourite was Heart's All Gone Interlude and Ghost on the Dancefloor. Also I thought it was funny that none of the songs actually sounded like any of the side projects and definitely not AVA lol.

Snake Charmer is soooooo Cure-ish
SickofEveryone
Chuck

Post by SickofEveryone »

Tyler. wrote:I finally listened to the album!!! My favourite parts are the weird trippy things they've done like the end of Snake Charmer I think it is, and some other ends of songs. I'd give it an 8.5/10 on first listen probably. My favourite was Heart's All Gone Interlude and Ghost on the Dancefloor. Also I thought it was funny that none of the songs actually sounded like any of the side projects and definitely not AVA lol.

I don't understand how people compare this album to The Cure. Who are they anyway?
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

SickofEveryone wrote:
Tyler. wrote:I finally listened to the album!!! My favourite parts are the weird trippy things they've done like the end of Snake Charmer I think it is, and some other ends of songs. I'd give it an 8.5/10 on first listen probably. My favourite was Heart's All Gone Interlude and Ghost on the Dancefloor. Also I thought it was funny that none of the songs actually sounded like any of the side projects and definitely not AVA lol.

I don't understand how people compare this album to The Cure. Who are they anyway?
you seriously don't know the cure ? if you jerk off 10 times a day like me, it is still no sin compared to not knowing THE CURE
they fucking formed the gothic rock genre, they one of the best bands in the world in Mark's mind and if Robert Smith was to visit Mark, well, Mark would be right there kneelin' and sucking his wiener
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

SickofEveryone wrote:

Maybe that is why you don't understand.
[donate][/donate]
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

holy LOL.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

SickofEveryone wrote:

LOL yeah if you don't know them that'd be why you don't understand.

The intro to Snake Charmer (before distortion part) could easily be the intro to a Cure song. Like change literally nothing and it could still work.

And both Tom and Mark love them and have cited them as influences, so yeah the album definitely is influenced by Cure. The synth and flanger parts especially.
Last edited by Tyler. on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, Tom and Mark are hugs The Cure fans and Robert Smith (The Cure singer) is the guest singer on the song "All of This" from Blink's previous untitled album.
SickofEveryone
Chuck

Post by SickofEveryone »

^^ I don't like them. Way to old for me.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

and if Robert Smith was to visit Mark, well, Mark would be right there kneelin' and sucking his wiener
I had to stifle my LOL in the break room while reading this. I remember Mark saying he would dress like Robert when he was in high school. Weird!
SickofEveryone
Chuck

Post by SickofEveryone »

Got my blink cd and t shirt in the mail today! :D