Moderator: Jeremy Kill

lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Re: Sum41/SBM Discussion!

Post by lisaNL »

Seems like we're getting something after all!
41ariley
Bunkface
First name: Alex

Post by 41ariley »

lisaNL wrote:
Seems like we're getting something after all!
so this might be the making of which everyone had given up on?
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

fuck yes. So excited! :D
Social Distortion
First name: Paul
Instrument 2: Greco Violin Bass
Instrument 3: Orpheus Acoustic
Last.fm Username: SxDxFaN

Post by Social Distortion »

kinda hard to pick favourites... will go through each song...

1. RTB - when i first started listening to the album i was surprised to hear synth and all those effects, then i heard the drums and was like "WTF?? is that With Me??", but still loved the opening guitar riff. and the break into the chorus. and the outro piano, but kinda spoiled my experience due to all those online studio updates. would have been perfect if i didn't hear any new music in them. all in all, solid. but not the kind of a song i would listen to often.

2. SBM - first i heard it online on their web page, and i could easily love it, but the solo wasn't any original and the lack of agression made it just an ok song. then, after a few listens, it became my favourite song off the album, just hate the intro and outro.

3. Skumfuk - well, first when i heard it i really couldn't get it and needed to listen to it a few more times. the vocs have changed a lot, i remember a lot of people being surprised about it and it was kinda short. something like "Moron" off Chuck, but not as agressive. finally i liked the new intro to it (but what the hell, it's not played live anyway) and in the whole i liked the song.

4. TFYTG - nothing special at all, a typical song for some mainstream britpoppish rockers. first was confusing it with BYDWK.

5. JK - loved the song from the first listen, some more riffs/solos/breakdowns would have been welcome though. and the lyrics kinda... weird? but good.

6. WAITS - like "wtf? upgraded With Me???". don't like it. good vocs work, but boring.

7. HIOL - loved the piano part. and the outro. nothing more.

8. SOE - nice song, enjoyed it. not only as a part of the Dark Road, but as one song. sounds great live too. again, too bad i heard it a lot in their updates.

9. HM - good song, interesting musically too. but soft vocs are a bit too soft. again i remember the awesome No Brains Tokyo performance, just like during the HIOL. not as agressive as i would like it to be. all in all, the "12 min epic" is great, but not epic.

10. Crash - great song, don't know why people prefer to skip it while listening. very warm, with cold lyrics though. like Johnny Cash's "Hurt" cover.

11. BIMY - first liked it more than SBM, like the riff after the intro. but then it goes slower and it sucks (the fact it goes slower). my friend keeps telling me it sounds just like Linkin Park, didn't hear much of that band's stuff though. and don't respect that band at all too. so, finally i got bored of this song and now it seems to me as the one made of a few unfinished parts.

12. BYDWK - first it reminded me of Oasis, then the Offspring, well, i'm glad it made it to become a single and get a *great low budget video coming out SOON*, cause i wouldn't notice it any other way and would still be confusing with TFYTG.

13. BWIB - good song, didn't like it first, but it's good. for an outro.

14. Exit Song - the outro. too bad they play it live instead of JK for instance.

and yeah, excited 'bout the Makin' Of
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Social Distortion wrote:3. Skumfuk - it's not played live anyway
It's the No. 1 played song from the album.
Social Distortion wrote:11. BIMY - my friend keeps telling me it sounds just like Linkin Park
Your friend knows nothing about music.
fuck this signature nonsense
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Post by samueeL »

Gregorovich wrote:
Social Distortion wrote:3. Skumfuk - it's not played live anyway
It's the No. 1 played song from the album.
He talked about intro.
Gregorovich wrote:
Social Distortion wrote:11. BIMY - my friend keeps telling me it sounds just like Linkin Park
Chorus has Linkin Park vibe.
Social Distortion
First name: Paul
Instrument 2: Greco Violin Bass
Instrument 3: Orpheus Acoustic
Last.fm Username: SxDxFaN

Post by Social Distortion »

actually i DID talk about the intro

my friend loves Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails and Clawfinger, a weird choice, but he can play almost any song of those bands on rhythm guitar and on drums too. but he doesn't like Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/The Beatles, or at least he never listened to them enough, so you can say he doesn't know a lot of great music. but hell, he's a musician
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

samueeL wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
It most certainly does not.
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Post by samueeL »

Gregorovich wrote:
samueeL wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
Play the vocal melody only with any instrument and it sounds 100% Linkin Park. Many have said this.
Jables
Chuck
First name: Jables
360 Gamer Tag: The Sinful Baby
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Bouzouki

Post by Jables »

Gregorovich wrote:
samueeL wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
I don't listen to much Linkin Park, but from what I've heard, BIME isn't doing any vibe sharing with them.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Gregorovich wrote:
samueeL wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

I'm with you, i dont hear it.
41ariley
Bunkface
First name: Alex

Post by 41ariley »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
samueeL wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

I'm with you, i dont hear it.
nothing like linkin park
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

it's more like the sums..

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Honestly, people always make these links between Sum 41 and LP/GD, and I just don't see it. While I do love those bands, they have a totally different vibe from the Sums. While most Green Day stuff sounds light-hearted, simple and rhythmic, Linkin Park generally sounds gritty, complex and electronic. The Sums have always had a 'classic rock and roll' vibe about them. MCR are the only band I have ever thought about while listening to Sum 41.
Zalex09

Post by Zalex09 »

If there is one song on SBM with a LP vibe, its Back Where I Belong not BIME, IMO.
KingofBillySpleen
First name: Jared
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Vocals
Last.fm Username: None

Post by KingofBillySpleen »

Social Distortion wrote:kinda hard to pick favourites... will go through each song...

1. RTB - when i first started listening to the album i was surprised to hear synth and all those effects, then i heard the drums and was like "WTF?? is that With Me??", but still loved the opening guitar riff. and the break into the chorus. and the outro piano, but kinda spoiled my experience due to all those online studio updates. would have been perfect if i didn't hear any new music in them. all in all, solid. but not the kind of a song i would listen to often.

2. SBM - first i heard it online on their web page, and i could easily love it, but the solo wasn't any original and the lack of agression made it just an ok song. then, after a few listens, it became my favourite song off the album, just hate the intro and outro.

3. Skumfuk - well, first when i heard it i really couldn't get it and needed to listen to it a few more times. the vocs have changed a lot, i remember a lot of people being surprised about it and it was kinda short. something like "Moron" off Chuck, but not as agressive. finally i liked the new intro to it (but what the hell, it's not played live anyway) and in the whole i liked the song.

4. TFYTG - nothing special at all, a typical song for some mainstream britpoppish rockers. first was confusing it with BYDWK.

5. JK - loved the song from the first listen, some more riffs/solos/breakdowns would have been welcome though. and the lyrics kinda... weird? but good.

6. WAITS - like "wtf? upgraded With Me???". don't like it. good vocs work, but boring.

7. HIOL - loved the piano part. and the outro. nothing more.

8. SOE - nice song, enjoyed it. not only as a part of the Dark Road, but as one song. sounds great live too. again, too bad i heard it a lot in their updates.

9. HM - good song, interesting musically too. but soft vocs are a bit too soft. again i remember the awesome No Brains Tokyo performance, just like during the HIOL. not as agressive as i would like it to be. all in all, the "12 min epic" is great, but not epic.

10. Crash - great song, don't know why people prefer to skip it while listening. very warm, with cold lyrics though. like Johnny Cash's "Hurt" cover.

11. BIMY - first liked it more than SBM, like the riff after the intro. but then it goes slower and it sucks (the fact it goes slower). my friend keeps telling me it sounds just like Linkin Park, didn't hear much of that band's stuff though. and don't respect that band at all too. so, finally i got bored of this song and now it seems to me as the one made of a few unfinished parts.

12. BYDWK - first it reminded me of Oasis, then the Offspring, well, i'm glad it made it to become a single and get a *great low budget video coming out SOON*, cause i wouldn't notice it any other way and would still be confusing with TFYTG.

13. BWIB - good song, didn't like it first, but it's good. for an outro.

14. Exit Song - the outro. too bad they play it live instead of JK for instance.

and yeah, excited 'bout the Makin' Of
I like your review of the songs i find them similar to mine

Reason To Believe- A great opening song with the drum introduction. I like how it changes to something that sounds like Chuck to something that sounds like All Killer, No Filler to something thats sounds like Underclass Hero. 9/10

Screaming Bloody Murder- I really enjoyed this song when the single was released. The intro and outro were a little boring compared to the rest of the song. The solo is awesome as well. I wish they would release the video. 9/10

Skumfuk- I got hooked on this song after it was leaked. I would listen to it everyday. The new intro makes me feel like it should be the opening track though. 10/10

Time For You To Go- A catchy fast song that I listened to when the album was released. Now it has become a song that I will usually skip over as I find Baby, You Don't Wanna Know a better rock 'n' roll tune. The only time i listen to it now is when I'm on a road trip and listen to albums in their entirety. 5/10

Jessica Kill- One of my favs from the start. I'm shocked that it hasn't been played live yet. I think it is the most hardcore song on the album from start to finish. 10/10

What Am I To Say- This song is too soft in my opinion. It is like TFYTG, I listen to it only on road trips when i listen to albums in their entirety. I do like the chorus and the solo though. 6/10

A Dark Road Out Of Hell
Holy Image Of Lies- This song is a great into to ADROOH. It changes a lot like Reason To Believe. The intro leads into a hardcore verse then back to a soft part that leads into a hardcore breakdown. The outro piano rocks too. 9/10

Sick Of Everyone- My favorite song from ADROOH. The first verse is kinda out of place but after that the rest of the song becomes BEAST!!! It also seems like the simplest song from ADROOH so I understand why they started out playing this song only. 10/10

Happiness Machines- A nice ending to ADROOH. It has a hardcore verse with a soft chorus. After the second chorus it has a nice bridge. I like the outro of the song a lot. I wish they would play it live. 9/10

Crash- Crash is a nice slow song. I like it a lot. The chorus is great. I disagree with people who say it belongs on Underclass Hero. I think it suits hardcore albums. Chuck had soft songs like Pieces and Slipping Away. I might occasionally skip it but I usually don't. I would like it if this song was played live. 8/10

Blood In My Eyes- From the intro to the ending it sounds great. It is my second favorite song on the album. When I heard they were streaming it I instantly went to listen to it. I loved it. The intro is nice and soft. The verse is also softer than the rest of the song but is good. I like the bass solo in the middle of the song and the hardcore breakdown. 10/10

Baby, You Don't Wanna Know- This is my favorite song on the album. It is catchy and fun to listen to. I think it is a good choice for a single. I wish the video was out. When the album first came out I would sometimes mistake this song for TFYTG as they are both rock 'n' roll tracks. 10/10

Back Where I Belong- Another one of my favorite tracks from the start. It's a great song. It has hardcore verses and a awesome chorus while the bridge is nice and soft. This song would be a good single. 10/10

Exit Song- I like this track too. I was surprised that they played it live. It is nice and soft. I see this song fitting in with Underclass Hero more than Crash. 9/10

We're the Same- I like this bonus but it seems out of place. I can't see it on any of their albums. It seems like a song on a new album by them. The bass in this song is great though. The solo is awesome. 8/10
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Just checked the Sumapedia section on Sum41.com. Seems like it's been "hacked", 90% of the pages I checked were replaced with spam text/links.

:sosad:
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

TomiT14 wrote:Just checked the Sumapedia section on Sum41.com. Seems like it's been "hacked", 90% of the pages I checked were replaced with spam text/links.

wowwww. super fucking gay.
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby

Post by UltraKolby »

TomiT14 wrote:Just checked the Sumapedia section on Sum41.com. Seems like it's been "hacked", 90% of the pages I checked were replaced with spam text/links.

Bet it was 'My Chemical Romance' fans :hehe:
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Gregorovich wrote:Honestly, people always make these links between Sum 41 and LP/GD, and I just don't see it. While I do love those bands, they have a totally different vibe from the Sums. While most Green Day stuff sounds light-hearted, simple and rhythmic, Linkin Park generally sounds gritty, complex and electronic. The Sums have always had a 'classic rock and roll' vibe about them. MCR are the only band I have ever thought about while listening to Sum 41.
If you can't hear the LP vibe/similarities in Chuck and the GD vibe/similarities in UH then you "know nothing about music" haha.

SBM has less of it but still a tiny bit.
Last edited by Tyler. on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.