Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Re: Sum41/SBM Discussion!

Post by SBMurder »

Now that you mention it I do here these whispers during that part.
Last edited by SBMurder on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:Anyhow kinda sad that What Am I To Say isn't played live. It's a great song..
I don't know, I think it's too long and kind of a downer for a live show.

Did anyone notice how Crash and Blood In My Eyes come one after the other, but are total opposites? Like they're both "relationship-ending" songs, with different situations, of course. One is more sentimental and the other is more angry. I don't know, I just thought it was interesting song placement.

Another thing, does anyone else hear whispering in Holy Image of Lies during the line, "Out of the light into a timely demise, there's a cross on a hill, the holy image of lies"? I was listening to it in my car and I thought I heard it.
1. i think WAITS was a filler song. Deryck just wrote it because he felt like writting a song like that to get his feelings out of his system. i doubt he'll admit that, but i think thats what happened. i wouldn't be bummed out if they never play that song live.

2. i like that placement it, works well. though crash isn't a relationship song by design, it could be taken that way.

i showed Crash to my friend and he and his brother played it at a benefit concert they put on for a girl (one of my sisters best friends) who died in a car crash last month.

3. i totally hear it. its the exact same line, but one sung and one whispered. to give it a different mood. i quite like it.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:Anyhow kinda sad that What Am I To Say isn't played live. It's a great song..

Did anyone notice how Crash and Blood In My Eyes come one after the other, but are total opposites? Like they're both "relationship-ending" songs, with different situations, of course. One is more sentimental and the other is more angry. I don't know, I just thought it was interesting song placement.

Another thing, does anyone else hear whispering in Holy Image of Lies during the line, "Out of the light into a timely demise, there's a cross on a hill, the holy image of lies"? I was listening to it in my car and I thought I heard it.
The whispering, one of the first things I noticed when hearing the song for the first time. Like Dylan said, same lyrics, but gives the song some depth.

I'd say we will never hear What Am I To Say live. They haven't played With Me since the divorce, so I doubt they would play another Avril-related song either. BIME is different, since it's not that sentimental.
And Crash is not about Avril, so that would make a good alternative to Pieces every once in a while.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Jeremy Kill wrote:

I hear the whispers a long time ago, but you can hear clearly if you put it in effect 'karaoke'. And there are strings such as 'Pieces' in 'Back Where I Belong' :hehe:
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I would love a bluray of a Sum 41 live show. Reason to Believe makes such an amazing opening song. Better than the Carmina Burana/Underclass Hero combo that they did so long ago.
Carmina burana is an awesome intro just saying, that song makes me wanna grab sword, put on an armour, and shout this is SPAAAAAAAAAAAAARTA
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Another thing, does anyone else hear whispering in Holy Image of Lies during the line, "Out of the light into a timely demise, there's a cross on a hill, the holy image of lies"? I was listening to it in my car and I thought I heard it.
wow, never noticed that. pretty awesome. I love the depth of the songs and the fact you can still discover new things even after hearing it a couple hundred times.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:Another thing, does anyone else hear whispering in Holy Image of Lies during the line, "Out of the light into a timely demise, there's a cross on a hill, the holy image of lies"? I was listening to it in my car and I thought I heard it.
wow, never noticed that. pretty awesome. I love the depth of the songs and the fact you can still discover new things even after hearing it a couple hundred times.
Yeah you're right it is quite awesome.
I also discovered this recently and it almost gave me that "New song" feeling you know :glad:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

HugoDisasters wrote:
Resident Skumfuk wrote:
Yeah you're right it is quite awesome.
I also discovered this recently and it almost gave me that "New song" feeling you know :glad:
I heard that the first time I listened to the song.
Sam 41
First name: Samuel

Post by Sam 41 »

I've listen today to the queen cover song killer queen probably for the first time and I'm not quite sure but are they playing everything on their own in the song? because D's voice sounds really amazing! someone knows when they have recorded this song?
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Sam 41 wrote:I've listen today to the queen cover song killer queen probably for the first time and I'm not quite sure but are they playing everything on their own in the song? because D's voice sounds really amazing! someone knows when they have recorded this song?
Must have been around 2004-2005 I think, since Dave was still around.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Don't feel like making a new thread every year, but today is the 4th anniversary of Underclass Hero!
4 months ago it was still Sum 41's best album imo, but SBM has beaten it on my list.
But still an awesome album, a great listen every time, despite what the majority of you keep saying. :silly:
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

TomiT14 wrote:Don't feel like making a new thread every year, but today is the 4th anniversary of Underclass Hero!
4 months ago it was still Sum 41's best album imo, but SBM has beaten it on my list.
But still an awesome album, a great listen every time, despite what the majority of you keep saying. :silly:
Definitely my 2nd favorite album by them. Without deciding on a first.. But it's hard to decide if SBM is better than UH as a whole album.

But yes.. Extremely underrated by Sum 41 fans. Mostly because the majority of us think it's MAINSTREAM and MAINSTREAM is a scary, demon-esque creature. In reality, they're just dumbasses.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

There's Sum 41 albums better than All Killer No Filler? It's a conspiracy
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Tyler. wrote:There's Sum 41 albums better than All Killer No Filler? It's a conspiracy
AKNF.. meh
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

I like UH and SBM is decent. Deryck's voice doesn't suit harder stuff so most of the other music is kinda weird, SBM was a different type of music to the others, they were metal, it was like dark punk rock or something so he kinda fit it. AKNF is epic.
Last edited by Tyler. on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

TomiT14 wrote: But still an awesome album, a great listen every time, despite what the majority of you keep saying. :silly:
THIS. I've always thought UH was a solid record, it was different from what the Sums had ever done before (even if some songs did sound like rip offs a.k.a The Jester/House of Wolves) but I think most people on TNS are bigger fans of the DTLI/Chuck era, then there's those like Tyler, who are bigger fans of pop/punk, who most likely love blink-182 who are bigger fans of the HHOP/AKNF era.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

I'll be honest I was really surprised when I first came here and most people liked DTLI/Chuck era way more. I really thought it wasn't as good as the previous era in every department - the music, the personalities, the band as a whole, just everything wasn't as fun, interesting and I just didn't like the music as much.

And I've said this before but UH as a record is too long and doesn't flow well in my opinion, but nearly all the songs are epic on their own.
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Tyler. wrote:I'll be honest I was really surprised when I first came here and most people liked DTLI/Chuck era way more. I really thought it wasn't as good as the previous era in every department - the music, the personalities, the band as a whole, just everything wasn't as fun, interesting and I just didn't like the music as much.

And I've said this before but UH as a record is too long and doesn't flow well in my opinion, but nearly all the songs are epic on their own.
I didn't really enjoy live videos from the AKNF era, D's voice wasn't as strong. And they were younger then, so, obviously they're going to have a lot more energy and probably do most of their stupid/crazy antics then. Stevo and Cone are married, Stevo has a kid for christ sakes, you can't expect them to keep that up after all this time. But to each his own.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

I never said I expected them to keep it up now, I just said I don't like their personalities as much now. Never said I wanted them to go back to their old ways as yes, they've grown up and got families and all that.
Last edited by Tyler. on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake-41 wrote:But yes.. Extremely underrated by Sum 41 fans. Mostly because the majority of us think it's MAINSTREAM and MAINSTREAM is a scary, demon-esque creature. In reality, they're just dumbasses.
If this were true, none of these people would have had anything to do with Sum 41 in the first place.