Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re: Sum41/SBM Discussion!

Post by Gregorovich »

Jake-41 wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:Who chose this and why?
I believe Sums did, because they like it. They've always chosen songs as singles that they like to listen to and play live.
Sigh.. They obviously like to play Blood In My Eyes live? It just seems like the obvious choice, and BBYDWK is kinda out of left field here.
Listen, it's a fun song. Though it's not one of my favourites on the record, I still really like it. Just because you don't like the style of it doesn't mean that the Sums don't think it's a fun song to listen to and play.
fuck this signature nonsense
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

samueeL wrote:Reason to Believe is radio friendly? Hardly.
Yeah, it's nowhere near radio friendly. No catchy chorus, and the outro is too long for radio use.
Jessica Kill is quite radio friendly, but it would be too hard for Deryck's voice to be played on daily basis, so there's no use to choose a song they wouldn't play live that often. Look what happened to No Reason.

Baby is very catchy, very radio friendly, so a perfect choice for being a single. It might not represent the rest of the album, but that's the point. The goal is to catch new fans with different tastes of music. Eventually the lovers of With Me and Pieces fell in love with All To Blame and Still Waiting.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Gregorovich wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:Who chose this and why?
I believe Sums did, because they like it. They've always chosen songs as singles that they like to listen to and play live.
Sigh.. They obviously like to play Blood In My Eyes live? It just seems like the obvious choice, and BBYDWK is kinda out of left field here.
Listen, it's a fun song. Though it's not one of my favourites on the record, I still really like it. Just because you don't like the style of it doesn't mean that the Sums don't think it's a fun song to listen to and play.
Dude, that's NOT my point here. My only case is that it obviously doesn't compare to SOME songs. Last record they shoulda made Ma Poubelle a single? It's a "fun" song.

Just mind boggling to me. I apologize for my, erm... Ranting. Haha.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Jake-41 wrote:Last record they shoulda made Ma Poubelle a single? It's a "fun" song.
:hehe:
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Deryck obviously likes this sort of Oasis/Jet kinda sound so I'd say he wanted it to be a single. They wouldn't of even put those two songs on the album if they didn't like that style a lot.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Tyler. wrote:Deryck obviously likes this sort of Oasis/Jet kinda sound so I'd say he wanted it to be a single. They wouldn't of even put those two songs on the album if they didn't like that style a lot.
But wouldn't you want your BEST work to be noticed? Now, i realize Blood In My Eyes is still gonna be a single and stuff. But from a fans perspective (which we all are) This possibly knocks out a better song from getting a video, and being on the radio and such.

I dunno.. It doesn't matter to me. But it might help record sells if the better songs are being played on the radio..
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

Jake-41 wrote:
Tyler. wrote:Deryck obviously likes this sort of Oasis/Jet kinda sound so I'd say he wanted it to be a single. They wouldn't of even put those two songs on the album if they didn't like that style a lot.
But wouldn't you want your BEST work to be noticed? Now, i realize Blood In My Eyes is still gonna be a single and stuff. But from a fans perspective (which we all are) This possibly knocks out a better song from getting a video, and being on the radio and such.

I dunno.. It doesn't matter to me. But it might help record sells if the better songs are being played on the radio..
Well they probably think it's some of their best work. I don't see why any of the other songs should be put ahead of it. I'm already sick of BIME and I can't listen to it any more, and none of the others stand out as some real fun interesting songs. The only song I can think of that would be a better single is Crash. I also think if you're wanting the record to sell better, the two Oasis-like songs are better for the mass appeal.
Last edited by Tyler. on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

You kiddin' me? If I'm listenin' to radio and i hear BIME come on. I'd totally be like.. "Who the hell is this? It's awesome."

I think Crash will be the last single.. And it'll get a crowd. And they're already playing BIME live? So i personally, think that should have been the obvious single here.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

Jake-41 wrote:You kiddin' me? If I'm listenin' to radio and i hear BIME come on. I'd totally be like.. "Who the hell is this? It's awesome."

I think Crash will be the last single.. And it'll get a crowd. And they're already playing BIME live? So i personally, think that should have been the obvious single here.
Yeah but the majority of people listening to the radio don't like that kind of music dude. If Baby You Don't Wanna Know comes on people are gonna go "that was pretty rocking...Sum 41? Seriously? I gotta check this out". Really dark and heavier songs don't go well on the radio.

Remember these songs don't just get played on alternative radio stations etc, if they have Baby You Don't Wanna Know as a single it'll get played on any channel and won't seem too out of place.
Last edited by Tyler. on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

I don't see why people think Crash would be a single. I see it just like Best Of Me. Nice slow song, but it will never be played live. Maybe in an acoustic session, but I very much doubt it. It's too slow and calm for radio use imo.

My contenders for the third single are Blood In My Eyes and What Am I To Say. Both very radio friendly.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

Yeah maybe What Am I To Say.

Also with Baby You Don't Wanna Know, it's very easy listening because it's a more classic sound, wouldn't seem out of place around older rock songs. Also the "ooo ooo"'s will be catchy to first time listeners, people that don't know Sum 41 will be singing along to those bits during their first listen. First listeners to BIME would be like WTF is going to happen next in this song, and not be able to remember anything that just happened when it's finished.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Tyler. wrote:First listeners to BIME would be like WTF is going to happen next in this song, and not be able to remember anything that just happened when it's finished.
This could be true, to be honest. When I heard BIME instrumental at the soundcheck, I totally forgot it how it went right after they finished it. :glad:
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

TomiT14 wrote:
Tyler. wrote:First listeners to BIME would be like WTF is going to happen next in this song, and not be able to remember anything that just happened when it's finished.
This could be true, to be honest. When I heard BIME instrumental at the soundcheck, I totally forgot it how it went right after they finished it. :glad:
That metal riff was stuck in my head for days after I first heard it. It's easily the catchiest part of the album. Guess that's just me though :P
Hideo_Kuze
Billy Spleen

Post by Hideo_Kuze »

my friends reacted very positively when I played them BIME, whereas most of them had mixed feelings about SBM and Skumfuk

that being said, I heard WAITS on radio today as the first Sum41 song in years lol
ptido
Bunkface

Post by ptido »

TomiT14 wrote:I don't see why people think Crash would be a single. I see it just like Best Of Me. Nice slow song, but it will never be played live. Maybe in an acoustic session, but I very much doubt it. It's too slow and calm for radio use imo.

My contenders for the third single are Blood In My Eyes and What Am I To Say. Both very radio friendly.
I would post a lot more on this forum if you wouldn't say exactly what I mean all the time.
We must use our voices as a flag.
And make it resonate in every building, in every head.

The youth is raising up in burning cages, not just pretences.

We are the solution.

http://sum41-france.com
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

Mike wrote:i just came home from seeing the Green Lantern

Baby You Dont Want To Know is used in the movie.
Don't lie. Also I don't like the fact its in that movie because that movie sucks.
Mike
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Mike »

i could picture hearing Back Where I Belong on the radio
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

Exit song ftw

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

Mike wrote:i could picture hearing Back Where I Belong on the radio
I think out of the "heavier" songs on SBM it is probably the best for radio, maybe because it has a Linkin Park vibe.. I dunno
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Tyler. wrote:it has a Linkin Park vibe.
No.