Bennett-182
Bunkface

Post by Bennett-182 »

i wasnt suggesting they do that :|
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

Coddan wrote:started off great, after 30-45 seconds I was thinking, "allright, great video. this could be the best one they ever made", but when the fast part begun it sank like a rock. the toy store was too much, if you have to perform at all, i dont think thats a necessity for a video, dont do it in the toy store. it sort of took away the feel of the video that i thought was great. the store was too bright and

happy, too many colors, i mean, it's a sort of mellow song.
i wouldve liked it if they had used a more low-tech robot than this one. had heard beforehand the concept of the video and i was imagining sort of an 80's feel robot, if you know what i mean. large, probably man-sized, humanoid square thing, this one felt like too much of a joke.
and lastly, hmm, trashing the set... it feels familiar. where oh where have i seen this before

lots of opinion, feel free to disagree and discuss it with me
I think it was important got the set to have a bright feel to it, so it looked happy in contrast to the dark place where the robot was.
As for the robot, it's clear that it's supposed to be a joke and not taken seriously. I mean, really, it's a robot wandering the streets of LA. I was imagining a more classic robot too, but this one was really good.
The thrashing of the set? Yes it's a familiar feel, but it was a different sort of trashing. Especially since they actually thrashed the set, not their equipment.

Lastly, where else do you expect a toy robot to normally live and have a family?
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Coddan

Post by Coddan »

Phili wrote:I think it was important got the set to have a bright feel to it, so it looked happy in contrast to the dark place where the robot was.
As for the robot, it's clear that it's supposed to be a joke and not taken seriously. I mean, really, it's a robot wandering the streets of LA. I was imagining a more classic robot too, but this one was really good.
The thrashing of the set? Yes it's a familiar feel, but it was a different sort of trashing. Especially since they actually thrashed the set, not their equipment.

Lastly, where else do you expect a toy robot to normally live and have a family?
i wouldve been fine with it being happy and all if it was more focused during the very last part of the video, because thats when the song takes a turn and he realizes that home isnt such a bad place after all. what bothers me is that they had what turned out to be a great concept and, in my opinon, didnt use it in the best they they could have

yeah, i understand that the robot is supposed to be a joke, but i dont think it should have been. i dont know about you, but the first time i watched the video, during the first minute, it sort of got to me. i took the symbolics out of the song and the video and felt it. i didnt the the robot as a robot, but as some sort of outsider if you get my drift. i didnt think the video would be a joke at that point, and i thought it was great, because this way the video really got to people, and thats what would have made it different from the other sum 41 videos. instead of having a quick laugh or giggle the first time i see it, i get touched by it everytime i watch it .

of course i dont expect the robot to have a family and things like that, but as i explained before, i didnt see the robot as a robot, bus as a symbol for something else, like an outsider
Jonny
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Jonny »

^ I think you might be looking at it from too much of a high view point, it's just a video that they chose because it sounded weird and would be a laugh, and it is a bit weird and it is a laugh.

Guest is my noob.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

But, unfortunately for you, that's not the point of the video. If that was the point of the video, yes, I would be disappointed with the choice of robot too. It's important for the video for the robot to be considered a robot and a toy. Then everything falls into place. The robot is an outsider, but it's also what it is, a robot.

I think it's still a touching video, but it's also very humorous and that makes the video very good for me.

And it's made very clear in the video that the main character, who happens to be a robot, has left a home and family. Where do toys live? A toy story. What sort of family would a robot have? Other robots of similar make.
Last edited by Phili on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

the bit where the robot jumps out of the dumpster cracks me up :lol:
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

budgie182 wrote:the bit where the robot jumps out of the dumpster cracks me up :lol:
Haha, me too. I expected him to like slide out of the dumpster, but no, he does a FLIP!
Coddan

Post by Coddan »

you are absolutely right, i am looking at it from a too high point of view, but thats just the way i am. having heard the tone of this album, no doubt the most emotional or mature if you see it that way, i was expecting something more than this. i would like them to have sticked to a theme. underclass hero had a perfect video for its song, not necessarily a great one, but it was in tone with the song.

no it isnt the point of the video, but i wouldve liked that to be the point of it. and dont get me all wrong, i think its a decent video none the less, but i think it couldve been differently made to fit the song. especially when you actually have all the material to do it.

many nice points by the way Phili, not just someone to trash me for not acting like everything they touch is gold. its not always you get to discuss with someone who makes valid points instead of just ranting about their gretaness
Last edited by Coddan on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

I just think that if they had made a video that completely suited the mood of Walking Disaster, we would've had a very depressing video on our hands. I think that the fact that all of Sum 41's videos are humorous (even Pieces was) is a good thing for them. I think nobody would have really liked the video if it was as dark and sad as the song is. They really needed to have a contrast there to make the video work out.

And thank you. Your points are very valid too.
Rick
Jessica Kill

Post by Rick »

i think its just like the were all to blame thing, they took a sadder/more meaningful song and made it fun.
http://searchwithsum41.prodege.com/?cmd ... &rb=143979
go there and sign up and win cool shit.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

^Except this time they actually sort of followed the story in the song. Haha.
Jonny
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Jonny »

i love toy story.

Guest is my noob.
Coddan

Post by Coddan »

good point, although i would say that the part in pieces was more a comic relief, than intending to make the whole video a joke, because i definatley dont think it was.

i think there should be a contrast too, but not really in the way presented to us. the song had a natural contrast, meaning the last part of it where it turns to a happier song. the video does take this turn too, with the robot walking back into the store, and from there on, i think the video is as it should be. it just doesnt have the same impact on me as it wouldve if the video had been more serious before that. if they had kept the theme from the first minute until the last 30 somewhat seconds, i think it had been as it could have
Byzzy

Post by Byzzy »

the video is awesome
Arcane
Ma Poubelle
First name: tom
360 Gamer Tag: iArcane
Instrument 1: guitar

Post by Arcane »

reminds me of "Blur - Coffee and TV" with the milk carton that wanders the streets then comes home haha
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

swish wrote:reminds me of "Blur - Coffee and TV" with the milk carton that wanders the streets then comes home haha
lol
classic! Image
Arcane
Ma Poubelle
First name: tom
360 Gamer Tag: iArcane
Instrument 1: guitar

Post by Arcane »

budgie182 wrote:
swish wrote:reminds me of "Blur - Coffee and TV" with the milk carton that wanders the streets then comes home haha
lol
classic! Image
YESSSS SON1!!
what a great video :P
i might upload it later

x
pistolwhip

Post by pistolwhip »

Macbeth wrote:
NoReason27 wrote:i like it at the end when all the robots party. i was expecting the robot to see sum 41 trashing the toy store then fall down. but that whole robot party thing was completely enexpected and hilarious.

i repeat: best Sum 41 video ever.
And i was expecting Deryck to kick the robot for some reason :|
So was I! Like... the song would end, and he would just be walking, and it's in his way, so he boots it into a wall, and they (band in video)all laugh. Then it shows his light turn off and it zooms out from his face. Could be a metaphor for maybe..... the real world is hard, and you could get kicked around.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

If there was ever a Sum 41 music video where the concept of the song was totally different than the video... it would have to be We're All To Blame and Still Waiting. Compared to Walking Disaster, those two music videos are really off the concept.

I think it would have been too cliche if the video was serious.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

^I agree with that last bit completely.

And I personally think it would've ruined the entire video if Deryck had kicked the robot.