Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

ScottEdmondson41
First name: Scott
Instrument 1: Guitar

Re: Re:

Post by ScottEdmondson41 »

SumGeek wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:For some reason, I can't listen to this album more than once through and there are very little songs that I put on repeat. Something about the album just makes me feel overwhelmed because there's so much that goes on in these songs and like dbauer said, it's all over the place. I love all the soft and heavy parts, albeit there are still a couple of songs/parts that don't really hold my attention. I really enjoy this album, but I think I'm kind of trying to listen to it bit by bit so I can enjoy it for longer, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really? the night it was released I listened to it 10 times, front to back. I like playing it in it's entirety rather than replaying certain songs. But I do see what you mean.
yeah I've never listened to any single songs on repeat but ever since I've got it I've had the whole album on repeat so it starts right up again after it finishes. It's literally the only music I've listened to since I got it. My playcount for all the songs is evenly at somewhere in the 40s right now, I think.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

Any idea what happened to the bass at 0.35? Also, there's some more stuff in this vid that sounds good, but isn't on the album as far as i can make out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pGk2--J ... detailpage
Last edited by MetalMilitant41 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

MetalMilitant41 wrote:Any idea what happened to the bass at 0.35?
I know!!! It didn't make the album.
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

Simon wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:does anyone else like absolutely love this album, but didn't totally love it at first? cuz upon first listen, i thought the songs were far too scattered and all over the place. and while i still think a few are at some points, i now feel that the eclecticness works VERY well. w/ the exception of tracks 4 & 12, i love the darkness and overall feel of this album and i really think this is a fucking genius piece of work.
What did I tell you?
Simon wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:just listened to the album for the first time, and not gonna lie, i was expecting heavier. honestly, i wasn't blown away at all and i feel like they were just going for TOO epic and profound a sound. like legit nearly every song was all over the place and it came off as more of a mess than an accomplishment. still some good songs, no doubt (especially sbm, jessica kill, crash, and skumfuk), but overall i'd say this is hardly a step up from uh (heavier, but so inconcise and inconsistent that it makes for a messy album). overall it's probably their 3rd best for me.
A messy album for a messy life situation.. it's exactly what Deryck told us it would be and I like that.

I knew exactly that this was how you would feel about the album and I even thought about talking you into different expectations, but I didn't want to say anything because I could've been wrong and I didn't want to influence your first impression. It really seems all over the place at first compared to any of their previous records, it doesn't even sound like Sum 41 at all at times, but that's good. I totally got into it on my second and third time listening and I totally disagree that it's hardly a step up from UH. It is A LOT, I mean a shitload of a lot better in pretty much every way (put on an UH song after SBM and it sounds like a joke), especially the vocals are incredibly diverse and dynamic and I don't think we even need to talk about the sound in general. Of course it does have it's flaws, but that's fine to me.
I was also expecting a heavier overall picture, but I'm actually glad that it isn't and I was surprised how much I enjoyed the soft/slow parts. Plus, "Time For You To Go" and "Baby You Don't Wanna Know" are two of the most enjoyable, casual and upbeat pop-rock, almost classic rock 'n roll songs that I have listened to in the last 10 years and I would have never expected songs like that under the flag of Sum 41. I'm still confused about that, but I love it.

I will write a tough track-by-track and overall review soon, that I think might open your eyes/ears a little more if it hasn't happen by itself by then.
Just as I expected, and I agree with your evolved opinion. It's THE album for Deryck to be proud of, although I know he is already proud of most of what he does (rightfully so). I think those two songs breaking the dark mood of the album are actually the icing on the cake, because they are great songs and make it seem less depressing as a whole. Plus they are something we never heard or expected from Sum 41 (at least not as original material).

wow you were pretty dead on :devious:
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

samueeL wrote:
MetalMilitant41 wrote:Any idea what happened to the bass at 0.35?
I know!!! It didn't make the album.
Hopefully they'll use some of what didn't make it, because some of the music in the updates that didn't make it was the best stuff. For whatever they do next i hope to hear it, i know it's really early but hopefully their next album will be rawer ie. less produced :suicide:
Last edited by MetalMilitant41 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

i was pretty disappointed to find only 5 copies of SBM at HMV and they weren't even on display at the front racks. in fact, they were HIDDEN behind some other band in the "punk" section. so i took the liberty of putting them infront and making them a little more prominent.

it seems people are more concerned with the new foo fighters album coming out next week, but thats all the label's fault. no fucking promotion going on with SBM at all. pathetic. and the stupid thing is, IR think that rock music is "dead" when foo fighters are getting all this attention, they're even playing SNL this week.

ROCK IS NOT DEAD.
FUCK IR.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

2712 wrote:i was pretty disappointed to find only 5 copies of SBM at HMV and they weren't even on display at the front racks. in fact, they were HIDDEN behind some other band in the "punk" section. so i took the liberty of putting them infront and making them a little more prominent.

it seems people are more concerned with the new foo fighters album coming out next week, but thats all the label's fault. no fucking promotion going on with SBM at all. pathetic. and the stupid thing is, IR think that rock music is "dead" when foo fighters are getting all this attention, they're even playing SNL this week.

ROCK IS NOT DEAD.
FUCK IR.
What???????? when I went to HMV there were like 50 copies on the one rack
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

2712 wrote:i was pretty disappointed to find only 5 copies of SBM at HMV and they weren't even on display at the front racks. in fact, they were HIDDEN behind some other band in the "punk" section. so i took the liberty of putting them infront and making them a little more prominent.
It was like this at HMV for me too! I walked to the punk section and found it. They only had 2 copies there. But when I went back to HMV a few days later I found the album under new releases in a different part of the store near the cds with the stickers on them so they did have more than just 2 copies i suppose. I still would of thought SBM would of been not hidden behind some others and Underclass Hero was even infront of it under their name!
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

Emil wrote:Fuck, the Making Of DVD will most likely be part of some deluxe edition so that means i'll have to buy the same record again. I sure hope they throw in some bonus tracks and acoustics on that then.
If they even come out with a DVD.
adrianSum
Billy Spleen
First name: Adrian

Post by adrianSum »

Deryck messed up the lyrics on Screaming Bloody Murder. Sometimes he just read the lyrics on the screen.
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

Yeah I don't know what's so hard about remembering the lyrics, maybe he should stop drinking :razz:
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

What can I say? He's no angel
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

SumGeek wrote:
It was like this at HMV for me too! I walked to the punk section and found it. They only had 2 copies there. But when I went back to HMV a few days later I found the album under new releases in a different part of the store near the cds with the stickers on them so they did have more than just 2 copies i suppose. I still would of thought SBM would of been not hidden behind some others and Underclass Hero was even infront of it under their name!
I bought mine at Target and it was in the Best Sellers section not the New Releases out front. and there were only 4 copies
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

I checked every single CD store in my city (Espoo, #2 biggest city in Finland population-wise), with not a single copy of any Sum 41 CD.
In Helsinki (#1 city), the biggest CD store had 1 copy, the second biggest had 3.

Needless to say, it's a paradise for Sum 41 fan to live in Finland.
Seriously though, we have fans here, but neither the stores or radio stations or gig promoters realize that.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Does anyone else think that the bydwk intro sounds a bit like the welcome to hell intro but slowed down?
Sam 41
First name: Samuel

Post by Sam 41 »

blackhawk1105 wrote:Does anyone else think that the bydwk intro sounds a bit like the welcome to hell intro but slowed down?
hmm good idea didnt thought of it
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

blackhawk1105 wrote:Does anyone else think that the bydwk intro sounds a bit like the welcome to hell intro but slowed down?
Well, didn't cross my mind, and even now it seems too farfetched imo. But I see what you mean.

Another one, don't know if it's been already discussed:
Drums at the start of Reason To Believe, anyone thought of the opening riff of With Me, no?
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

TomiT14 wrote:

Drums at the start of Reason To Believe, anyone thought of the opening riff of With Me, no?
I think someone mentioned it but im to lazy to find that quote
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

yup, that one has been discussed
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

TomiT14 wrote:
Well, didn't cross my mind, and even now it seems too farfetched imo. But I see what you mean.

ya and the first part of both songs are in 6/8 time.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!