Brown Tom not listed in booklet?

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Unbeatable23
First name: .
Brown Tom not listed in booklet?

Post by Unbeatable23 »

I know he was part of the recording process for this album and the band has said he's offically a member now, but anyone find it weird how he's not listed in the CD Booklet as part of the band? It just says Deryck Whibley as the lead vocalist & guitarist; Stevo 32 as the drummer; Cone McCaslin as the bassist.
wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Re: Brown Tom not listed in booklet?

Post by wiggs1441 »

I'm pretty sure Brown Tom didnt record on this album. I think he was just there for Pre-Pro. Correct me if im wrong.
tomhoppus is my Master!
NoReason27 is my Grand-master!
BrandonCorey is my N00B!
Sum-42 is my Grand N00B!

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Wiggs is right. He wasn't part of the recording process, he was just there for pre-production.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Wiggs is right. He wasn't part of the recording process, he was just there for pre-production.
This is what I thought aswell.
And I almost didn't recognize you with your new avatar, Jeremy!
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

Yeah but it still says

Sum 41 is
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

kILLDR3n wrote:Yeah but it still says

Sum 41 is
I was questioning that too, and he is included in the group photo in the booklet. Not too sure. I still think it has to do with him only doing pre-pro cause thats what we're hearing on the album; Deryck, Cone and Stevo.
pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by pescidavid »

They said from the beginning he was never going to be in the videos or on the cds. He's their official touring guitarist and friend. They said they were never planning to replace Dave. They said that from the start and that's why he's not on the cd or listed as part of the actual group.
wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Post by wiggs1441 »

pescidavid wrote:They said from the beginning he was never going to be in the videos or on the cds. He's their official touring guitarist and friend. They said they were never planning to replace Dave. They said that from the start and that's why he's not on the cd or listed as part of the actual group.
Correct me if I'm wrong once again but wasnt he in the Underclass Hero?
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

pescidavid wrote:They said from the beginning he was never going to be in the videos or on the cds. He's their official touring guitarist and friend. They said they were never planning to replace Dave. They said that from the start and that's why he's not on the cd or listed as part of the actual group.
He's in the photo in the CD booklet (the desert shot, it's on the first page) so why not list him anyway? I'm pretty sure the band have referred to him as an official band member since 2009. He's in a lot of photoshoots. This is just all stuff they said in 2006, but things can change.
pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by pescidavid »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
He's in the photo in the CD booklet (the desert shot, it's on the first page) so why not list him anyway? I'm pretty sure the band have referred to him as an official band member since 2009. He's in a lot of photoshoots. This is just all stuff they said in 2006, but things can change.
Yeah I hear you. He has been in alot of the photo shoots, but if he was an actual I feel like he would have been on the album. How can you be an official band member and not be on your own bands cd's? I feel like the band said official and people took it the wrong way. They could have meant he's going to continue to be there touring guitar player for now. It's his official contribution to the group. They are satisfied with him there and the position is closed and final. That's how i've taken it anyways But in my opinion you are not an "actual" member of the band if you aren't on the cd. That said, he still rocks.
jaw knee jak
Bunkface

Post by jaw knee jak »

The odds are that the booklet was writen by the label or at least they hired someone to do it. Case and point, I cant remember which songs or albums but I remember a thread a few years back were the someone pointed out that some of the lyrics in the booklet were clearly not what deryck sings, it was printed like that because it was never given to the band to proof read.

The only part of the booklet I can see them being responsible for is the thank you list, and if Tom Thacker / Brown Tom isnt listed there (I dont know as I still havent had a chance to pick up the album) then I would think that they would of assumed he would be listed as a member.

Who knows, maybe from a purley contractual point of view Tom still isn't member, in which case I very much doubt the label will of listed him as a member.
jaw knee jak
Bunkface

Post by jaw knee jak »

Also.... I kinda think this whole "its because he didnt play on the album" is bogus. Dave basicly did nothing on the albums apart from solos and widdily stuff, by that logic he was just a session guitarist and not an offical member either, but thats just my opinion...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Is it possible Tom didn't want to be listed as a band member? It's clear he's reluctant in being fully integrated into the band. He doesn't (or didn't, especially during Underclass Hero) do a whole lot of moving around on stage, probably to not take attention away from Deryck and Cone. He only contributed music when Deryck asked him and made it known when asked if he was going to do vocals on the new album that Deryck was the vocalist and "didn't want to fuck with that."
Hexidecimal
First name: Kevin
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Keys

Post by Hexidecimal »

didn't brown tom help write the actual song screaming bloody murder, I reacall in an interview deryck said that
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, it was an old demo for the Muertos Vivos. Deryck added the vocal melody, changed up the solo a bit and took out the main riff in the bridge. As far as I know, the rest of the song is unchanged. I remember Tom also said he had written the song "with Sum 41 in mind" or "specifically for Sum 41"... something along those lines.
Hexidecimal
First name: Kevin
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Keys

Post by Hexidecimal »

I think that's deserving of being credited, but it's whatever.

tom seemed to enjoy playing live on tuesday.

Sum41 is wearing the exact same clothes on kimmel they did on tuesday... nasty
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

He's credited on the inside of the case (underneath the CD) and it has one of those:

"All songs written by Deryck Whibley.
Track 2 written by Deryck Whibley and Tom Thacker.
Track 12 written by Deryck Whibley and some dude I can't remember!"

EDIT: Also, their 'thank you' dealy goes as such: "Thanks to everyone that made this album possible. - The Sums"
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

I think that after UH Deryck just wanted to show his guitar skills. If Tom would have been in the booklet most of people would have thought that Deryck can't play and Tom was the best thing that happened to them or somthing. He'll be in the next album booklet for sure!
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

the other guys hate him, that's why, I am sure that they didn't say nothing to Tom and they just left him out, so he will wanna leave the band ...

they won't talk to each other for years, until Deryck will survive a big gangbang, after that Tom will realize that the things they hated each other were so stupid that they will get together again
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

This statement is true, but it was valid from 2007 to 2009. Since then, the band has stated many times that "Tom is now as official member as it gets", and that he will be included in the future photoshoots and videos.

I've spoken with Tom several times, and he's said that he recorded the riff for the title track for sure. He also recorded bits and pieces here and there, but he's not sure if they were included. But the riff for the title track for sure.

The only reason to leave him out would be that the band itself didn't have much input with the booklet.
Look at the thank you's! Not that original if you ask me. I'm quite sure that if the Sums had anything to do with it, they would've included Tom for sure!

Off-topic: Who is Matt Squire? Credited as a writer for Baby You Don't Wanna Know? And how is he affiliated with the Sums / Deryck?